American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lifelong Journey On The Road...

beemerchef

416315173_DBX5E-L-1.jpg

The ultimate “therapy”… Texas

I think anything where your head can stick out with no roof going down the road would be the ultimate therapy as it is for us. I say us as Spirit always agrees to take off, I have yet to hear a complain from him. It is that “no partition” feeling with the surrounding scenery, it is the wind with its moods and strengths, it is being transposed into another space where nothing much from the real world on foot quite matters anymore. And I say “anything” as many would not care for a motorcycle. So there are sidecar rigs like ours, three wheelers, some new fancy designs have surfaced lately with two wheels in the front and one in the rear… I think a nice little convertible will also do!

As long as we can ride, this waiting game, this counting the days to Monday, will be fine. I think once this is all behind us, including Art Gallery Nights the following weekend, I have already this fantasy that we are going to take off, follow a southern route to California and slowly go up the coast trying to stay warm.

I think I will be bursting by then…

In the meantime it was a timeless ride to Ft Davis.

Be well… hope all this makes a bit of sense! Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

416315173_DBX5E-L-1.jpg

The ultimate “therapy”… Texas

I think anything where your head can stick out with no roof going down the road would be the ultimate therapy as it is for us. I say us as Spirit always agrees to take off, I have yet to hear a complain from him. It is that “no partition” feeling with the surrounding scenery, it is the wind with its moods and strengths, it is being transposed into another space where nothing much from the real world on foot quite matters anymore. And I say “anything” as many would not care for a motorcycle. So there are sidecar rigs like ours, three wheelers, some new fancy designs have surfaced lately with two wheels in the front and one in the rear… I think a nice little convertible will also do!

As long as we can ride, this waiting game, this counting the days to Monday, will be fine. I think once this is all behind us, including Art Gallery Nights the following weekend, I have already this fantasy that we are going to take off, follow a southern route to California and slowly go up the coast trying to stay warm.

I think I will be bursting by then…

In the meantime it was a timeless ride to Ft Davis.

Be well… hope all this makes a bit of sense! Ara & Spirit

Ara,

I like your "It is never too late to have a happy childhood!" and I agree that the world is better when your ride has no top.....and that applies from a child's tricycle to an old guy’s convertible...all good!

And also regarding your childhood comment....we live on a small lake, and have an old rustic dock. One of the true joys of life is to ease my old bones down on the worn boards and lie there watching the clouds drift by. The ducks and geese seem less intimidated when I do that and often swim practically into arms reach.

We are looking forward to a good report on Monday! Each day we get is truly a miracle in the largest sense of the word, and since we can’t store it up, we should all do as you do and savor each moment.

Hey…thanks to your blog, I’m off to visit the dock!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I have yet to hear a complain from him.

That's one smart traveling companion you have - of course he's not going to complain. :D He knows the alternative is to get out and walk!!!! LOL

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

He sure would have some long walks!!!

Enjoy that dock... I know I would...

419661478_3DaFo-L.jpg

Marfa, Texas

Ride and more riding, just have to, it is “the “prescription with unlimited refills, no Dr’s visits needed. Marfa was our destination.

Yesterday we did drive to Odessa. Paul Glaves was great company and courteous enough to wheel me there and back. The miles went on like a flash, I think we could have gone cross country and never be without an interesting conversation.

The Dr’s visit itself? Well… my echo cardiogram never made it, no where to be found. He was actually more concerned with the arteries that had the bypasses 13 years ago, kind of like an old tube in a tire I guess. So back to Odessa on Monday for this time a Nuclear stress test. Sounds dramatic. I guess we will just take all this one step at the time. The attitude has not changed with receptionists! “It will be $210 for your first visit” she said without looking up… as I replied “how about if I don’t like the Dr? will I get refund”. Two hours later… (waiting was free) I made his acquaintance as he also insisted that he hears the “I don’t have Insurance” too many times a day… “I am here as a medical Doctor…” he went on to make me understand, “not a Social worker”… And I did… trust me! Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

421011198_T3Wv8-L.jpg

Indian Head trail Rd, Texas

Just a few miles south of “The Oasis”, on the outskirts of Terlingua, is this road that will take you to a “space” to me unlike any others. It is also an entrance of Big Bend Park, it is a show of Mother Nature’s work, it is a display of rocks in shapes, colors and intricate cuts a bit rare in this area. They are raw, cracked, balanced often defying gravity, they are my destination when wanting to escape and do some hiking as the trail/road also leads to some spectacular views of the Chisos.

We did not spend all day, just long enough to again leave in total amazement.

Tomorrow “white elephant” is moving to Alpine for a couple days. This is when I suddenly decided that I do enjoy it! I can park anywhere and still be home, eliminating the commute back here. Alpine’s Gallery Nights will start in the am and promises to be two fun filled days as I will also try to take a lot of pictures.

So till then… enjoy the “rocks”.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

423066466_sQcen-L.jpg

Gallery Nights in Alpine, Texas

“Old Faithful” must be lonely by now! She has been left behind since Friday. Today she is 210 miles away as we are now in Odessa’s Hospital Parking Lot with our winter base camp “The White Elephant”. It was however 2 greats nights in Alpine, camped right across from the Kiowa Gallery where the Journey’s Photos displayed had some great feedback and even a couple sales. I call it “Amazing”. The crowds were out in full force for both nights, a nice pleasant crowd, much music, much dancing and much food everywhere! The support from other local Artists has also been such a welcome gesture and so has been the kindness of Keri, the owner of the Gallery.

I would call it a perfect time…

Now of course waiting for the dreaded Nuclear stress test, the only way to have all the cards in hand for a decision toward the future… I think it is going to be good, everything else has been…

Much more on the Blog…

Be well and “thank you all” for the great support you have given me… and Spirit.

Ara & Spirit

http://theoasisofmysoul.com/

Maybe this will sound off the wall - but check the skies sometime for a hawk. I've sent one to watch over you. If you see one, you will know all will be well.

You are in our thoughts each day.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Maybe this will sound off the wall - but check the skies sometime for a hawk. I've sent one to watch over you. If you see one, you will know all will be well.

You are in our thoughts each day.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Ara,

I like what Alex did....and looking forward to a good report.

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

All is well... will be well.

I took this photo November 11th. I am upset about not being able to tell if it is a Hawk or a Falcon... I think it is a Hawk...

Thank you Al... your words mean a lot.

423825022_N5HoS-L.jpg

After Gallery Nights, Texas

I feel as I am now finally waking up from a long awaken sleep. The stress test is behind, the physician changing it to a chemically induced process with results on December the 2nd. I shall not think about it till then as soon as these side effects disappear. How good can all this be for the body including slightly radioactive chemicals? Lesser of two evils? Afraid to search…

“Old Faithful” is being pulled out of its Desert shelter in a few minutes, it is time to regroup soon and get back to our abnormal normal Life.

“Gallery Nights” are just a memory now, a great one, and the search for more magical photos of our Journey is right around the corner.

I always wonder where this is going! All we can do is enjoy the ride, there has not been any complains from neither of us these past two year!

More photos of the Alpine Gallery Nights on the Blog…

Be well…

Always.

Ara & Spirit

All is well... will be well.

I feel as I am now finally waking up from a long awaken sleep. The stress test is behind, the physician changing it to a chemically induced process with results on December the 2nd. I shall not think about it till then as soon as these side effects disappear. How good can all this be for the body including slightly radioactive chemicals? Lesser of two evils? Afraid to search…

Ara,

I, too, had the chemically induced stress test last year. Which is why, this year, I insisted on the treadmill. About as much fun as hitting your finger with a hammer - and I think I'd prefer the hammer instead.

But the weird feelings go away - the memory, however, stays. I fell like somebody dropped a building on top of me. Most of what went thru my head was "this can't be right!!! Somebody made a big mistake!!"

The strange part of the treadmill this year was I went into my test with my knee and ankle bothering me, as they have for some time as I've grown older - to much fun in my "youth", I think. However, I made it completely thru the treadmill test, for the first time in several years, with no aches or pains in my knee (left) or ankle (right). And have had only minor aches - usually when I get up in the morning. Once I start moving around all is well. Go figure.

Y'all take care, now.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

I hope if needed to make it through the threadmaill next time!...

426121620_wsBEi-L-1.jpg

Our Thanksgiving… Texas

150 miles or so from here, the “blue light” specials must be screaming in the aisles of the urban smorgasbords of consumerism. At “the Oasis”, here, the good weather and full sunlight, mild temperatures, silence, peace and serenity are on “special”, combined with yesterday’s great memories of a Thanksgiving spend with Friends we now call Family.

You cannot buy it, cannot lease it or borrow it! It happens as I can only wish it happens to you all.

It was great food, great laughter, great company that filled our cup running these past days on almost empty.

Even Spirit had a great time and moments. A true gentleman well behaved around our food and his own encounters with Desert dwellers, goats and other dogs, the later while taking a stroll to the Cowhead Ranch near by, a great place to stay while in the area and experience the real Texas Life as it use to be.

A full report on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

I hope if needed to make it through the threadmaill next time!...

426121620_wsBEi-L-1.jpg

Our Thanksgiving… Texas

150 miles or so from here, the “blue light” specials must be screaming in the aisles of the urban smorgasbords of consumerism. At “the Oasis”, here, the good weather and full sunlight, mild temperatures, silence, peace and serenity are on “special”, combined with yesterday’s great memories of a Thanksgiving spend with Friends we now call Family.

You cannot buy it, cannot lease it or borrow it! It happens as I can only wish it happens to you all.

It was great food, great laughter, great company that filled our cup running these past days on almost empty.

Even Spirit had a great time and moments. A true gentleman well behaved around our food and his own encounters with Desert dwellers, goats and other dogs, the later while taking a stroll to the Cowhead Ranch near by, a great place to stay while in the area and experience the real Texas Life as it use to be.

A full report on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara,

That was close to the best Thanksgiving ever! A hundred million dollars wouldn’t have made it better! You have made yourself a home in record time!

Dave

We have Dave! We are coming to Death Valley soon... near you? I have the feeling it is... Good time of the year to spend some time there... Strange as we have never explored that area. Will be primitive camping...

427335421_S5KaS-L-1.jpg

Our Postal Route.Tx

Not just any route but one of the most beautiful road this country has to offer. Roughly a 160 mile round trip which I always wondered how I would feel if it was my job. I guess my conclusion is, all is a matter of the individual if it would turn into a daily grind or a daily Journey discovering every day a new facet of the route. Definitely a job unlike other.

We have some Friends visiting from Booth, south of Houston. Carl and Colette and their own Friend Judy. We stayed with them for about a week a year or so ago, it is so nice to see familiar faces, catch up on the old times, talk about the future times. They have brought us a load of Pecan wood broken off the trees of their property since the last storm, wood is so valuable here and this will allow us to have much entertainment and outside warmth throughout the winter months coming up.

The “route” is on the Blog!

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

We have Dave! We are coming to Death Valley soon... near you? I have the feeling it is... Good time of the year to spend some time there... Strange as we have never explored that area. Will be primitive camping...

427335421_S5KaS-L-1.jpg

Our Postal Route.Tx

Not just any route but one of the most beautiful road this country has to offer. Roughly a 160 mile round trip which I always wondered how I would feel if it was my job. I guess my conclusion is, all is a matter of the individual if it would turn into a daily grind or a daily Journey discovering every day a new facet of the route. Definitely a job unlike other.

We have some Friends visiting from Booth, south of Houston. Carl and Colette and their own Friend Judy. We stayed with them for about a week a year or so ago, it is so nice to see familiar faces, catch up on the old times, talk about the future times. They have brought us a load of Pecan wood broken off the trees of their property since the last storm, wood is so valuable here and this will allow us to have much entertainment and outside warmth throughout the winter months coming up.

The “route” is on the Blog!

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

Ara, and spirit,

Thanks for another great ride! We have one of those rural boxes ourselves, but not the great distances between stops. I can't imagine the mail delivery person getting tired of the ride...except if it snows.

Dave.

Actually it has always snowed a couple times a year. I can't wait!... photos!!! Thanks Dave.

430195409_jRBLr-L.jpg

A “milestone”, to “Good Health”, Friends and more Adventures.

Every day is a new beginning, but today feels a bit above them all. A clean bill of health, at least highly passable considering past history, has brought some calm and peacefulness throughout my moments. Every day this “Journey” has had a new page, but today it is a new chapter as I feel I can rest and at the same time look forward to some new adventures, new roads, new photos as Mother Nature has always never failed welcoming us in the midst of her landscape. Always in touch with my inner senses, they have also matured surrounded by Friends and you all that have carried me to this point sound and safely. There is a value of Life itself unknown or maybe a bit foggy in the past that has now taken such a clearer and definite shape within, the Human aspect amongst us all.

We have spend these past few days with some wonderful Friends, Carl, Colette and Judy. It is not the distances we never covered but the quality of the moments together. Carl never had even a chance to ride his bike! That says it all… doesn’t it?

Their story I should have really titled “wood good” is on the Blog.

Be well, always, and stay well. Ara and my buddy Spirit.

Ara,

It sounds like good news….Great! More happy adventures and experiences ahead!

I missed your comment a couple of days ago to the effect we might connect when you go to Death Valley. I don’t live in California…but I grew up there. We live in Olympia, Washington, which makes Death Valley more than a quick trip. :D It will have to be another time.

Roadhound here has done more of Death Valley, but we were through there a couple of years ago. One of the highlights on the way there is Amargosa Opera House and Hotel, but you no doubt know that.

Dave

Ara,

It sounds like good news….Great! More happy adventures and experiences ahead!

I missed your comment a couple of days ago to the effect we might connect when you go to Death Valley. I don’t live in California…but I grew up there. We live in Olympia, Washington, which makes Death Valley more than a quick trip. :D It will have to be another time.

Roadhound here has done more of Death Valley, but we were through there a couple of years ago. One of the highlights on the way there is Amargosa Opera House and Hotel, but you no doubt know that.

Dave

Olympia, WA!!! Check the Archives as we spend a month or so there... love it there! Specially Neah Bay. Was even offered a job running a motel in the winter. But... you know how that goes. There is a sidecar Rally we might go to near by in mid May.

Have a good one... Ara & Spirit

431499871_yEJ66-L.jpg

Sometimes he also writes! Tx

That is the case today when Spirit last night took over the keyboard to express his own feelings. After all, I am only the “chauffeur” of this specie that has taken not quite yet, but will soon, over the World. They are the quiet “majority”, we just don’t know it yet.

Winter has definitely showed his face around here, comparing to temperatures up North however I will only get teased if I complained that it was 41 degrees when we left for some errands in Alpine. Today, this afternoon it was… close to 80! Good time to come and visit if anyone is planning a route to Big Bend and its vicinity.

We met up with a couple riders from Louisiana, today a couple from Austin and I think I need to be rescued by a notebook and pencil, I need to start writing down names!

Spirit was not too harsh on me, he just likes to make a point once in a while on the Blog.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

433654209_hWK6Q-L.jpg

A “soulful neighbor”, Tx

It has become so strange about loosing days here. I sometimes look at a calendar, compare it to some recent writing or photography and realize that more days have passed than I thought. My neighbor a few miles down the road, John, he just celebrated his one year anniversary on his own land, totally self contained, on a different path than us, but with the same attraction toward these vast and empty spaces.

There is such an individuality here that it makes it interesting to visit others and see and be explained in depth how they are surviving.

If you are wondering what happened to Spirit’s color… that is about the norm by the end of the day as we live, eat, sleep and breathe dust. A dust here called “adobe”, fine powder, as fine as “talcum” powder and the main reason why we welcome rain so much!

Hope you enjoy his dwelling on the Blog… we sure did.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara & Spirit

The motivations, hopes and expectations of the 1940’s - 1950’s isolated dwellers in the vast desert crossed by Route 66, or the turn of the century settlers on the High Desert of Central Oregon have often intrigued me. The perspectives of you, Paul, and John shed light on their purposes and conditions.

They had a harsh life, and I often wondered if it was a lonely one. Many didn’t stay. From your descriptions, I think it was less lonely than I assumed. Though I realize you and Spirit, and John, and Paul and others are about living today, I find your experiences to illuminate history. And it sounds great!

Dave

A "soulful neighbor", Tx

It has become so strange about loosing days here. I sometimes look at a calendar, compare it to some recent writing or photography and realize that more days have passed than I thought.

Ara, it's called "growing older!!" You wake up one day and realize yesterday was two weeks ago and last week was 6 months ago!!!!

Growing old is pigeon poop!!! :angry:

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

It is worse than that!!! Like... I was just told that it is friday tomorrow!... I thought it was wednesday. Not that it matters, but... it kind of does. I am 60, my mother is 82... I wonder how she really feels. I'll ask her tomorrow... she calls just about every day from Munich!

434404755_JMU7i-L.jpg

A new Christmas Tradition, Tx

So there is a story that goes about a “rock soup”. There was nothing to cook with, so rocks went into the pot and slowly everyone threw in something eatable and the soup appeared!

Kind of like that… We will be christening the new fire pit this Saturday and I will be offering some soup and bread, even dessert cooked in the fire. It is actually a Christmas memory as I did the same thing about 30 years ago or more… It has been a full circle.

“Old Faithful” also is getting ready for the road. The extra fuel and water situation is taken care off, now waiting for a couple parts, cracked luggage rack and leaky oil filler ring. Small items but needing attention.

Spirit? Happy as ever running full blast on this new path that I have been clearing, he has switched to a stick now… often not the same! “treats good” he keeps telling me…

More on the Blog… in a few more words.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

It is worse than that!!! Like... I was just told that it is friday tomorrow!... I thought it was wednesday. Not that it matters, but... it kind of does. I am 60, my mother is 82... I wonder how she really feels. I'll ask her tomorrow... she calls just about every day from Munich!

434404755_JMU7i-L.jpg

A new Christmas Tradition, Tx

So there is a story that goes about a “rock soup”. There was nothing to cook with, so rocks went into the pot and slowly everyone threw in something eatable and the soup appeared!

Kind of like that… We will be christening the new fire pit this Saturday and I will be offering some soup and bread, even dessert cooked in the fire. It is actually a Christmas memory as I did the same thing about 30 years ago or more… It has been a full circle.

“Old Faithful” also is getting ready for the road. The extra fuel and water situation is taken care off, now waiting for a couple parts, cracked luggage rack and leaky oil filler ring. Small items but needing attention.

Spirit? Happy as ever running full blast on this new path that I have been clearing, he has switched to a stick now… often not the same! “treats good” he keeps telling me…

More on the Blog… in a few more words.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara,

Not a ride report….and lots of reflections of thirty years, and two years past.

The cycle looks ready, and you sound the same. Sounds like it is just you, Spirit, and your thoughts for a time.

I hope your mom is wise enough to appreciate and understand what you are doing.

Be well.

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

It is so unfortunate that my mother does not do computers! I have tried everything with her... she even has an Apple store by where she lives in Munich! So I just show her the Blog when I see her once a year and mail her some photos that I print...

437025658_GRLv7-L.jpg

Some days are better than others… Tx.

I can only wish for everyone to have such a day during your Holidays whichever environment you might be in, urban or amongst Mother Nature as those warm and fuzzy feelings of Friendships are all within. From preparing our “rock soup” on the fire, to baking our bread for all to share, every step only brought us all closer together with ourselves and amongst us.

Like a magnet for our souls, the “fire ring” has been the center of our get together to celebrate this first “Christmas Tradition”. Complemented by a short drive to an empty creek bed for “rock hunting”, a bit then further to discover the most beautiful “swimming hole” I have ever experienced, to some cooked on coals stuffed bananas, conversations with no end bringing us from all walks of Life together… what more can I say? Even Spirit and Heidi blending in throughout these hours of joy and togetherness, it has been the perfect day. The greatest Christmas present we could have ever received. You cannot buy it, lease it or rent it… you cannot even borrow it… you have to make it! There are a couple new entries on the Blog hoping they reflect your own good times. Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

(RSS feed subscription, bottom of each Blog will avoid you to miss any…)

Ara and Sprit,

I will get this out today - even tho it's a few days early. That way I won't forget (which at 71 is easily done!!!!!)

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY NEW YEAR - AND SAFE JOUNEYS IN THE COMING YEAR.

Tho we can't be with you physically, we all on this forum will ride with you in spirit. Your posts and blog of your trip have inspired us and we look forward to hearing more from you. You provide a bright spot in our day.

Stay safe and well and have the journey of a lifetime.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec