American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lifelong Journey On The Road...

beemerchef

Maybe we missed that one...

334570005_7ih82-L.jpg

Into the Gorge of Capitol Reef, Utah

The incredible sceneries do not stop in Utah. Water sure has created so much, so many Canyons that we can actually ride through, Canyons where in the past recent years “humans” have worked hard at it for our vehicles to witness what has taken so many years to accomplish. The “Gorge” at Capitol Reef is definitely one of those places where one can spend much time as we did when we arrived into it before sunrise, one of the best times of the day.

The ride out of Capitol Reef through Dixie National Forest is always also so spectacular, more and more I feel as being in another part of the world as traffic is almost inexistent and slowly one can feel detached from it all, “all” being the outside World.

Spirit is doing great, we are not hitting hot spots anymore, keeping the hiking mainly in the early mornings or late afternoon and looking for some shade during the day.

Pictures? Too many really… for sure some great memories we will have.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

335642668_KUaXs-L.jpg

Bad weather is here… Utah.

Suddenly outdoor activities are a bit curtailed. We have been so fortunate throughout all this time to not really having bad weather which would hold us back from the road. But here it is… Still, not getting to adventurous, we managed to ride a bit of Hole in the Rock Road where we did not even make it to Devil’s Garden… The washboard situation almost becomes a nightmare… fast or slow the fear comes up that something is definitely going to break! Slow turns out to be a better solution and then we have a bit of engine overheat.

Will be going back to Moab in a couple days to meet a Friend which we have never met… Hope that makes sense… the wonders of the Internet! All should be cleared up by then and I think even Spirit will be ready… he is always ready!

Some dark clouds… followed by a downpour all night… That is what we got!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

339011372_Uzsxq-L.jpg

A visit in Moab with my Friend Paul, Utah

The heat, the humidity and jungle like bugs made our stay in Moab a difficult experience for the both of us. We talked much, cooked much and saw a few sights including getting ourselves up to some cooler elevations doing the loop through La Salle mountains. I would however, difficult or not, do it again as I took away with me some valuable perspective about my own insight regarding how to deal with Life within these times where the heart will never be complete but the mind and spirit needs to go on. It is as a new chapter has made its way into my days, a challenge that needs to be won…

A couple Blogs actually have been posted since I have written here as time did not allow it.

You be well… till next time, enjoy.

Ara & Spirit

339011372_Uzsxq-L.jpg

A visit in Moab with my Friend Paul, Utah

The heat, the humidity and jungle like bugs made our stay in Moab a difficult experience for the both of us. We talked much, cooked much and saw a few sights including getting ourselves up to some cooler elevations doing the loop through La Salle mountains. I would however, difficult or not, do it again as I took away with me some valuable perspective about my own insight regarding how to deal with Life within these times where the heart will never be complete but the mind and spirit needs to go on. It is as a new chapter has made its way into my days, a challenge that needs to be won…

A couple Blogs actually have been posted since I have written here as time did not allow it.

You be well… till next time, enjoy.

Ara & Spirit

Ara,

Reading your blog, it sounds like you have had a lot of "guests" dropping by lately! The photos of Bryce are beautiful and familiar. Thanks for the continued sharing!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

You are ahead of me!!!... Thanks and still hoping to see you on the road... we will be going south soon!

340623358_JJwaF-L-1.jpg

A familiar face and a bit of Bryce Canyon, Utah

Always nice to see a familiar face specially when one cannot remember when was the last time… It seems that it was Naples, Florida, while cooking a special dinner for some Friends we have in common. On his own Journey from Canada, Louis and a couple of his riding Friends stopped by overnight… for an evening of true comedy, laughter and a local dinner.

Awaiting for another Friend from Louisiana this time we could not go too far. Bryce Canyon was the perfect place to spend a day riding and taking pictures before the daily monsoon arrived. Of course we barely got wet as usual, just a nice needed cooling off.

It truly felt more being in Europe while in the Park, it is an amazing feeling not to hear English being spoken anymore!

Enjoy the pictures and a bit of Geology…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

For some reason, the picture of the helmet on the handle bars at, I believe, Capitol Reef, comes up a lot when I visit this thread. At first, I thought it was a fairly cool picture with some rock formations backing the bike & helmet but each time I see it, the depth of field grows another fifty yards and the road that tapers off into the distance gets a little longer and even more inviting. It is, as you say "a great commercial shot" but it could sell Utah just as easily as motorcycle helmets.

342007842_h5eBQ-L-1.jpg

Another Friend, a new Slot Canyon and an abused Spirit! Utah…

Yes, I am enjoying entertaining and playing the guide, the cook and bottle washer… all at the same time. As myself when in a new area I like to discover my surrounding through my own senses, I don’t say much, only make a route and let Mother Nature do the rest. As we are slower than two wheels, specially in the curves, I told Brian to go ahead till he reached a meeting point. But he stayed behind for most of the time finding out that “it is nice to slow down and actually see the surroundings…”. A mental and physical break for sure only leaving some good memories.

The ride, the day and the meals including another form of stew and breakfast with great coffee was memorable for the both of us. Always a stew?… a one pan meal? There is not much around here at the local Grocery store… really not much.

Not to be mean… I love Spirit… but we were in laughter when 6 other dogs started abusing him… His reaction? A firm “enough is enough!” as the little guys flew away… literally!

That picture is on the Blog…

Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

343358339_sggK5-L-1.jpg

On the road to “Cedar Breaks”, Utah…

Some feel good at home, in an “established” environment… walls… windows and doors. More and more I feel as my “home” is the road and its shoulders. We cannot forget the shoulders! They are meeting points, they are as sightseeing platforms for the multitude of personalities and vehicles going by. A shoulder is where I met Joe rollerblading across the country, also Joff on his penny-farthing around the world, bicyclists, walkers… you name it. The shoulders have been where names and e mail addresses have been exchanged, hands shaken. They are the spots where Spirit makes himself comfortable, drinks his water and does his thing! Sometimes we will even meet a reader and surprise them… sometimes another rider with a flat and even as a few days ago the Goldwing riders all set up for lunch with table and all! You add a beautiful road as the one we took passing by Lake Penguitch to Cedar break and that about sums it up… The roads are “Home”!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

343352282_w9A4p-L-2.jpg

More of Cedar Breaks, Utah…

The longer we are on the road, the more I want to go back to older technology. Honestly. I have been on WI FI lately and today trying out my normal connection through the Dish as we will use this winter when headed south to more… Desert, well, it is slow compared. I have been spoiled… All has changed so much it seems like. I would even settle for a couple horses and a buggy if needed. But those are dreams, I think.

The cause of it might be all the sights we are seeing lately, specially Cedar Breaks… such beauty in such an unexpected place which suddenly is there with no warning as was the Grand Canyon and many other wonders.

We also went to our first Farmer’s Market the other day… not much available yet and… expensive! What are they thinking I wonder… but we bought a couple things and the ride sure was nice in this cool early morning and a sky guiding us with the sun rays.

Some colorful times!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara,

It was great to see and read your descriptions of Cedar Breaks and the Boulder Farmers’ Market. I recall there being a Native American family who spread out their pottery work for sale along the road to Cedar Breaks….since you didn’t mention them I suppose they are no longer doing that. It has been 3 years, so I’m not surprised.

Cedar Breaks was great, but for the first time in my life I was experiencing some altitude sickness at 10,500 feet and it definitely took the edge off my enjoyment.

I have to tell you that your stories have been an inspiration. I am a great believer that when you suffer a tragedy you should make a life affirming change, and you have done that by sharing your experiences with us. You quest is helping all of us value, experience, and enjoy life more.

My best to you and Spirit,

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

"I have to tell you that your stories have been an inspiration. I am a great believer that when you suffer a tragedy you should make a life affirming change, and you have done that by sharing your experiences with us. You quest is helping all of us value, experience, and enjoy life more."

Very nicely said, thank you... What I am realizing now, through e mails coming in is having the ability to help others that are wearing the same shoes... and that my Friend, is priceless. I will write about all this soon. As many thinks that maybe this is a ride report... it is not. Every aspect of the Journey has its place, all together it forms our Life...

347005089_YjjcN-L.jpg

More Friends visiting, Utah…

Even for those that have seen Utah, this area astonishes them with its incredibly vast spaces and raw beauty. I am even myself starting to feel isolated from the rest of the country when trying to ride roads we have yet to be on. There are just so many and when Friends visit, it is always such a big choice. Burr Trail has become a Classic in my book and every time we leave I am already thinking about coming back. I am glad that they left yesterday as suddenly the weather has changed and I learned from other travelers that the roads I took them on already had knee high water from flash floods.

Thinking about slowly heading south. The food situation here is pathetic… One store, which has truly nothing! Not even a decent potato! I wonder what the locals do? I was going to ask the owner, but then again what for!

Spirit even is into his down time. I don’t like it as he needs the exercise, as I myself do. Maybe a couple more days and all will clear up. Glad to have taken this ride, now a memory on the Blog.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

348166016_EcYvc-L-1.jpg

Calf Creek hike, Utah

We have been camped out at the same spot for a while now. Considering there are so many destinations within a few hundred miles with the ability to travel lightly, the past few weeks have been great. But southern heat or not, untraveled roads, it is time to move on and bite into deeply the adventures and new horizons waiting for us. The feeling for so many taking roots I know is always a comfort, it only works the other way for us. How strange, moving on is comfortable. Always curious what is over the next Mountain, the end of that road facing us, the other side of the curve we cannot quite see from here.

The weather pattern has always been fine in the mornings and severely dark by afternoon. We both finally got soaked yesterday from the rain and the hail riding back from the 6 mile hike to the Lower Falls of Calf Creek. Too lazy to put on the rain pants!

Live and learn. Enjoy the hike…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

349640646_C2rAR-L.jpg

Will this makes us Texans and Big Benders???

In a month or so from now we will be camping on “The Oasis of my Soul”… You will have to read the Blog to find out how all this has come about. It will be our winter own slice of Heaven, 25 miles north of Big Bend on some away from the road 10 acres of pristine land made of hard limestone with an all weather accessible road. It will be yours also to be shared for anyone wanting to camp or a comfy bed, good food and conversations around a campfire. It will be another facet of the Journey with much emphasize on developing some Photographic skills to try to make something out of it… amongst thousands of other great Photographers!… Hand in hand with the Blog with much more riding throughout the country the rest of the year, these thoughts and dreams becoming reality have me going with renewed energy. Hope to see you there sometime experiencing as we have done in the past and will in the near future the astonishing vast open spaces of the Big Bend area.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara,

While this is a bit off the forum subject matter, it may be of interest to you.

http://www.balewatch.com/vault.html

http://www.bobtheis.net/prototypes/basicstrawbale.html

http://www.lamafoundation.org/bear.htm

If anyone complains I am too far afield, I will claim it is a new car port style! ;)

Dave

Ara,

While this is a bit off the forum subject matter, it may be of interest to you.

http://www.balewatch.com/vault.html

http://www.bobtheis.net/prototypes/basicstrawbale.html

http://www.lamafoundation.org/bear.htm

If anyone complains I am too far afield, I will claim it is a new car port style! ;)

Dave

It is right on the path!!! Check this site also, I think you will really like the diversity and its depth...

Either fasion is going to somehow require a flooring of some sort for being waterproof. It can be "funky"... must be... there is no zoning... A rock structure is good also as long as I can dig around the limestone and make some kind of foundation. My only fear is that the rocks will fall on my head or someone else... Rock walls... and some kind of roof. I have to built cheap... real cheap. Maybe even use parts that I will find in the local papers that people do not want! It does not matter... it is the spirit that counts...

My other concern also is the winds... that area in April gets some pretty strong direct winds. I have never been there that time of the year but I understand that it will blow roofs away. I have many friends there and will take much advice!!!

I sure hope that you come and visit! Bed.Breakfast and Dinner... eventually... Informal!!!

Be well and thanks for the links.

Ara & Spirit

351659937_iQ9Ud-L-1.jpg

The intimate Devil’s Garden… Escalante/Utah

If you like to play amongst the Hoodos and the Goblins this is your playground! A nice washboard road to get there, early morning will make you the star witness of the change of colors on those free standing weathered by time rock structures. Hiking the easy loop over and over is like every time hiking it for the first time as the sun rising is constantly changing the scenes on this stage empty of visitors. We were lucky with the weather that day, a weather a bit crazy mixed with unpredictable rains and sunshine constantly switching with no warnings.

We are headed south tomorrow morning, its time and as every space we get attached to, it is with regrets and excitement all at the same time. This is one area we will return to fill in the blanks, I hope, in the meantime the thrill of seeing Zion is ahead of us and the golden key awaits for us in Big Bend.

The Hoodos and the Goblins! Some pretty cool characters…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

355112280_5gtug-L.jpg

Some World Wide Traveler Friends… Zion, Utah.

Finally after months of e mails with Alain and his wife Chris, we met in Zion! That is just how it goes. Planning on the road does not work very well and is an accepted fact among us. We actually meet more Travelers we had not planned to than if we did. They are from the south of France, near by where I was born and I can still remember having his accent! I cannot describe it… it is too unique. 4 months of the road now in the USA, on their way to Mexico, South America and finally Asia. They only have two years, as we do they would like to spend more time in one place, but two years is such a short time for their route.

We parted this morning, we have a standing invitation in the South of France… I hope some day I can manage to take Spirit to Europe maybe.

We ourselves are now north of St George and will start some rides with my Friend Michael and also that “good stuff” such as eye exam and Dr’s in the big City.

Enjoy the Blog… and be well.

Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

356722515_6RGsy-L.jpg

A loop North of St George, Utah

We keep on rolling in Utah. It just does not end! We are settled I have to admit pretty comfortably at my Friends house, Michael and Sandra, while doing some errands in St George before headed south in a couple of weeks.

We have been here before, this is like the yearly “get it all back together” stop. I thought we had seen it all last year, had ridden all the roads, but Michael has of course many more destinations up his sleeve. I think he only divulge his secret destinations in small dosage!

From “Mountain Meadows” to “Lion’s mouth” to Cedar City and back here also riding “Kolob Canyon” Rd, it was a fine ride, as good as they get.

Much thoughts about Texas, just thinking without any concrete decisions as how we are going to live down there on a land with no power, water, septic… and a real tight budget! Almost a challenge which should be in itself and interesting feat.

Enjoy the ride… we sure did.

Be well, Ara & Spirit

356722515_6RGsy-L.jpg

A loop North of St George, Utah

We keep on rolling in Utah. It just does not end! We are settled I have to admit pretty comfortably at my Friends house, Michael and Sandra, while doing some errands in St George before headed south in a couple of weeks.

We have been here before, this is like the yearly “get it all back together” stop. I thought we had seen it all last year, had ridden all the roads, but Michael has of course many more destinations up his sleeve. I think he only divulge his secret destinations in small dosage!

From “Mountain Meadows” to “Lion’s mouth” to Cedar City and back here also riding “Kolob Canyon” Rd, it was a fine ride, as good as they get.

Much thoughts about Texas, just thinking without any concrete decisions as how we are going to live down there on a land with no power, water, septic… and a real tight budget! Almost a challenge which should be in itself and interesting feat.

Enjoy the ride… we sure did.

Be well, Ara & Spirit

Ara,

Sounds like a great visit with friends, and some fascinating sights! I have never been to Mountain Meadows, but the story looms large in western and Morman history.

The rock art was terrific!

Looking at your route near Zion, I am a little surprised you didn’t swing into Grafton, one of my favorite ghost towns, and a terrific photography site. Your friend will know it well. I would love to see your photographic interpretation of the area.

As a bit of road history, the bridge out of Rockville to get to Grafton was a big deal in opening the route between the Grand Canyon and Zion in the teens, and the old road (dirt) is still open all the way southward to state 59. Again your friend will know the story and route, so I won't go into detail.

Dave

There is truly so much we did not see... Goblin State Park and the near by slot Canyon, doing the Glen Canyon road toward Blanding on a real slow pace... and so much more. But, that is OK... we needed to come here and get re-organized before we dip south into Texas, sometime around Sept. 10th. But I will ask him about Grafton... we are also going to the most remote area in the USA!... Torroweap... + Joshua Tree loop... Michael should be hired by the Utah Tourism... Retired now for 7 years he averages 40,000 miles a year just in Utah!!! Awesome company...

Our travels will change soon. Having a tire that will last 30,000 miles is going to make a big difference...

You be well... and always thank you for staying with us!

Ara & Spirit

There is truly so much we did not see... Goblin State Park and the near by slot Canyon, doing the Glen Canyon road toward Blanding on a real slow pace... and so much more. But, that is OK... we needed to come here and get re-organized before we dip south into Texas, sometime around Sept. 10th. But I will ask him about Grafton... we are also going to the most remote area in the USA!... Torroweap... + Joshua Tree loop... Michael should be hired by the Utah Tourism... Retired now for 7 years he averages 40,000 miles a year just in Utah!!! Awesome company...

Our travels will change soon. Having a tire that will last 30,000 miles is going to make a big difference...

You be well... and always thank you for staying with us!

Ara & Spirit

Ara,

Anyone who does 40,000 miles in Utah a year is worth knowing!

Does he have any of your inclinations to share with those of us who aren’t so blessed?

Utah may be my favorite road trip state, not just for the beauty and people, which are terrific, but for the wonderful history…..road and otherwise.

The pioneer trails, auto trails, Native American history, Morman history, all far better documented than any other area. A “walk” through old Utah newspapers on line is a joy by itself, and when you put rubber to road, heaven descends…but you know that.

Is Michael interested in sharing?

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

We just returned from I have to say the most beautiful rock formations I have ever seen! (I know... I might have said that before...). From Mesquite taking Golden Butte Rd, 26 miles, and 2 miles of definite 4x4 (stalled twice... but Old Faithful did incredible... not me!). Pictures next time. It is a place we will return to camp a couple days. About 22 miles from any soul, did not see a car all day. Will return in cooler weather.

And yet, Michael has more up his sleeve! He has written his own ride reports that he send to friends. I will ask him to get on this Forum and share as it is a need to share... eventually I will have his knowledge? Maybe in 10 years!... We could see Valley of Fire, Lake Mead and the mountain range right before Las Vegas... Maybe you can meet us next time? April? May... when we leave Texas... Petroglyphs... Moss... window through the rocks... just so unreal!

In the meantime...

357507956_f6T9K-L-2.jpg

More Friends and a “Dammeron” loop, Utah

One more time we met up with a couple readers, from Logan this time, on their own escapade following our footsteps, or maybe vice versa!

Paul and Mariko, members of the “Expedition Portal” Forum, a Forum filled with adventure reports from all over the World and much information on how to survive the vast empty lands, some very cool vehicles also.

A ride to Pine Valley and its forest, luscious greens and creeks. It was then on to another loop west of 18 this time through Gunlock Rd and back a dirt road through some BLM land we had camped on last year passing a couple reservoirs.

There is no lack of riding around here, after all, we are still in Utah!

We are preparing ourselves for the road to Toroweap, 90 miles into some of the most isolated part of the country overlooking the Grand Canyon. Tomorrow will be doing Joshua Rd loop and another attraction near by. Eventually we will rest!

More pictures on the Blog

Be well, Ara & Spirit

Ara,

I recall doing a “map trip” to Toroweap a few months ago, for reasons I don’t recall. Maybe I saw something in an early Utah newspaper, or maybe the “Motormen of 1917” went there. Isn't that the "Arizona Strip," perhaps the last remnant of the Zane Grey west?

Anyway, I was convinced that it was a two vehicle trip.

As I recall, along the way there was a very remote school, and the ranger station, but very little else.

I’m looking forward to photos. !

Be safe!

Dave

We are watching the weather to leave friday...

359664550_Wb2ZM-L.jpg

Golden Butte Rd and Whitney Pocket. Nevada.

I sure hope that you all dual sport riders from Nevada or near by have ridden the loop to the ancient town of Golden Butte and stopped as we did at Whitney Pocket, also admiring the Art work 2 miles off the main road… to the right.

Out of nowhere as usual, totally off the beaten path considering we did not see a soul all day, lays one of, now, my favorite destination. Moss, caves, multi color rocks, sandstone, portals, petroglyphs, narrow trails… It was a quick scouting day trip and we have reservations for early next year in a bit of cooler weather.

Mojave went up to 107 degrees and felt on the way back as riding through a furnace. Spirit did really good with his cover on and his soft bowl of water always in front of him. He is definitely a tough guy now! Of course he will never pass up a chance to lay in the shade!

I could not fit all the photos in one Blog, so this will be part one of two…

Be well… Always. Ara & Spirit