American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lifelong Journey On The Road...

beemerchef

317948552_WnsqW-L.jpg

“The Dog Hater”… not “Whisperer!

When a “dog hater” (as described by the Rally organizers!), an uncaring “Rally Master” and us… end up being in the same vicinity, things do not go well. I have the outmost respect for anyone that does not like dogs… as there are many flavors of Ice cream, and that is OK… but when we get insulted, well, that is not…

It was a short stay at the Beehive Beemer Rally, we met many familiar faces, made some new Friends and the good of course outweighs the bad, if only it was not for those insults and profane language I had to hear… followed by an unconcerned Rally Master, barely listening to the situation.

The ride was fine, the rides are always fine specially since our mechanical issues have been addressed. Escalante to Penguitch is such a beautiful road allowing the traveler to take in the changes in colors of the sandstone, from white to an orangey red going through the Canyon. And for you all specially that are dog owners, I think this Blog will interest you…

Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

319144180_HeAoY-L.jpg

Boulder, a cool little town, Utah

Unfortunately no pictures of the town itself today! It started storming before I even had a chance to pull the camera out of its bag. It is only 27 miles from here, there will be many more chances… We might even set up base camp in Boulder as almost at 1000 feet higher the weather is much cooler. Escalante is becoming hot. We met up with Ron, owner of “Motorcycle R & R” and that was a great time chatting… he even bought me lunch! The day could not get any better. Well, it did as we met another roadside attraction… Joe… crossing the country on Roller Blades! Yes… It is a shame that we cannot just pull up a chair and sit by the side of the road, there are all kinds of travelers coming through, trust me!

In case you do not read the Blog, many thanks for all the support you have send us including all the kind words. It is water under the bridge… The replies from the responsible parties of course almost made me the bad guy with the bad dog! Forget it… Karma will take its course! I do not carry or want that kind of energy.

Be well… always… the sun is shining today. Ara & Spirit

I just read some of your blog and am completely amazed at the treatment you received at the BMW Rally. I used to ride BMWs and while not much of a rally type, I did attend a few. I found them to be very cordial gatherings and much more laid back than the Harley Rallies I attended. There are bad apples in every group however, and you apparently found a few in that group.

You have obviously traveled many miles with your companion and your bike. You also obviously know the healing the road brings and my wish for you is that it heal you completely. The road is a mystic place on a bike.......no other way to describe it. As much as I like traveling in a great car or my truck, it pales by comparison to a bike. The privilege of riding has be taken from me for health reasons and I yearn for the day when I might ride again.......although it will most likely never happen. Your writing and photography take me back to the time when I did ride and for that I thank you.

If you are interested, here is a link to my last great riding adventure. We took this one only 6 weeks before I got sick. I am so glad we went as it would be impossible for me now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....hlight=hutchman

I am thinking about trying this same trip in a Jeep or my truck. I would have to bypass some of the tougher sections, but it would stll be a great adventure.

Hutch

I just read some of your blog and am completely amazed at the treatment you received at the BMW Rally. I used to ride BMWs and while not much of a rally type, I did attend a few. I found them to be very cordial gatherings and much more laid back than the Harley Rallies I attended. There are bad apples in every group however, and you apparently found a few in that group.

You have obviously traveled many miles with your companion and your bike. You also obviously know the healing the road brings and my wish for you is that it heal you completely. The road is a mystic place on a bike.......no other way to describe it. As much as I like traveling in a great car or my truck, it pales by comparison to a bike. The privilege of riding has be taken from me for health reasons and I yearn for the day when I might ride again.......although it will most likely never happen. Your writing and photography take me back to the time when I did ride and for that I thank you.

If you are interested, here is a link to my last great riding adventure. We took this one only 6 weeks before I got sick. I am so glad we went as it would be impossible for me now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....hlight=hutchman

I am thinking about trying this same trip in a Jeep or my truck. I would have to bypass some of the tougher sections, but it would stll be a great adventure.

Hutch

Hi Hutch... Always easy to preach, but, regardless, as I am truly sorry you cannot ride anymore, take a different path. I know... I know... but believe it or not as with the sidecar rig there are places we cannot go, I often think about a Jeep! Like around here I will never see the Hole in the Rock... the last 7 miles are not for us... other areas might have just a few hundred feet of deep sand and that is not doable either! I miss two wheels myself at times but would not trade for the world Spirit's company. Expand your path, maybe Jeep... get into more photography... the camping istelf... Nature from what it is... you will actually be able to carry more stuff, get places easier, the fuel will be more but then stay in one place longer and truly explore as we do... We do not move as much as we use to. We cannot... we are lucky to be in an area where a Lifetime is not enough to see it all...

Just some thoughts... that was a great ride report! Enjoy the moment...

Be well... stay in touch,

Ara & Spirit

320431421_DDzYc-L.jpg

4, 60, 300 and the “Burr trail”, Utah…

You will need to read the Blog to find out about the 4, 60 and 300... Somehow they all fell on the same day!

With 2 million acres surrounding us we are liable to experience some areas unadvertised as the Burr Trail. I had this vision for a moment of gates and shuttles taking the tourists back and forth within that incredible Canyon that was such a surprise to me. Hope as it did in Zion it never happens here. Do not pass Boulder without riding or driving that road including the switchbacks… they are car friendly roads, a bit of washboards, not to be adventured on in rainy times.

Whenever we stopped only smells and silence prevailed. We both needed this day, it does not cease to amaze me how vast and incredible this area is. We were not prepared to camp overnight but will soon…

Have fun following the road, this is a two part mini Adventure!!!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Your blog takes me back to the riding time in my life and I thank you for that. Riding in my imagination may not be quite the same, but it is good for the soul!

Your photography is really beautifully done. What are you shooting with and how much post processing do you do?

Your username certainly sounds familiar to me...........do you post on ADVRider? maybe?

Thanks for sharing you experiences on the road! Oh, and BTW, happy birthday!

Edited by hutchman

Thanks! But do think about the 4x4 way to go... What an irony that I don't do much post processing at all, a bit of contrast, a bit maybe of saturation because of the black background on the Blog... BUT TODAY... I fooled around with HDR!!! I don't care for it... but... it was fun!!! I use a Canon 30D with mainly a 17~85mm IS lens. Keep in mind that it is a 1:6 frame conversion is the lens is really a 28mm . I am so ready for a 5D with an "L" lens!!!...

322019719_fMeTK-L.jpg

*Picture above has been HDR digitally enhanced.

Up to the “T” on the Burr Trail…

We turned around at the “T” on the Burr Trail, we were not ready to go any further that day, but will next time and camp out going south to Lake Powell. There is an incredible isolation here on and off the roads. The “space” has changed, it is not Moab, it is not Monument Valley… it is an entity of its own, the closest being Valley of the Gods. Having lived on a sailboat for many years, it is as being out to sea, all alone and with a bit of constant thoughts, an inner, I might call it, “apprehension” maybe, as not to break down as these are not at all well traveled roads.

They are mostly demanding and definitely require an advance knowledge of the weather, they require much water specially being in in summer time. Tools and food a must… they stay on the rig 24/7 never unloaded, cannot afford to forget anything.

Much changes in the sceneries, rocks formations and even roads… that is what is on the Blog today…

Be well… always… Ara & Spirit

Ara,

I’m thinking more and more that I need to return to the Southwest….perhaps this fall when temperatures start to drop.

Four or five years ago on a trip that took us through Boulder and Torrey, I recall the Burr trail turn off. I wondered at the time what it was like, and now I know…and need to go there.

I’m likely to be using a passenger car or SUV, but I don’t see anything in your photos to dissuade me. Have you encountered any muddy fords on the “main” trail?

You mention not capturing the feeling of the place, and obviously we all end up with that feeling. But your photos do give attention to the close at hand, and not just the huge formations.

Have you ever “played” with 3D stereo? It can be done quite easily even with one camera and might be an interesting addition to the 2D shots. To give you the short and obvious primer…take two photos of a stationary object, one to the right or left of the first at about the distance between your eyes (it can be approximate, and further apart increased the 3D effect). Don’t change the angle of the camera between shots..

In your image processing software, bring both photos up and align them side by side. Cross your eyes so that the two images merge. If the resulting image is in reverse 3D switch the photos side for side, (so in the end, the right image is on the left.)

Your brain will create a great 3D stereo image, and perhaps a few will catch a bit more of the feeling…hard to say.

If you like the results, I’ll put you on to some free 3D processing software that will facilitate the process, and produce red blue pairs, as well as other formats.

You won’t please 3D purists with handheld one camera shots, but the rest of us will enjoy them!

Be safe, and give Spirit a pat on the head!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

You won’t please 3D purists with handheld one camera shots, but the rest of us will enjoy them!

Dave

Is 3D the same as above HDR I fooled around with today?... I used 3 pictures that I had bracketed, could use two...

Trust me that any of the roads we go on can be done with an SUV... not a passenger car necessarely, but SUV is good... a 4x4 is better... We will not be able to do Hole in the Rock because of a 500ft patch of sand! A 2WD little truck can make it... we will sink! Which means missing out on a few slot canyons like Pekaboo and others...

The road (you have not seen it yet) to Gosvernor Arch was for us hairy as deep sand... but we made as long as we do not slow down... Did not see a single car!!! Actually that was Cottonwood and we were only 30 miles away from 89!!! Not recommended to do it alone as we do... but???

What I say about the photos... they do tranport me back where we were but will never compare with "being there"... and that is why you need to come and visit!!! Will be waiting...

Be well... Ara & Spirit

Dave

Is 3D the same as above HDR I fooled around with today?... I used 3 pictures that I had bracketed, could use two

Ara,

No, not HDR, but rather stereo 3D. See the quick and dirty shots below taken near where you are now. They are hand held 3D “grab shots.” With your skills you could do much better, and I’d love to see them.

To view, look at the photos, and cross your eyes until the two images merge into one 3D image. Sometimes it helps to tilt your head left or right slightly as you cross your eyes. This is called free viewing because it does not require special glasses and most people can do it.

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

Forbeemerchef2small.jpg

Forbeemerchef3small.jpg

Forbeemerchef1.jpg

323260423_tox8y-L.jpg

Widstoe, a ghost of a Ghost Town, Utah

You definitely have it all here. The Red Canyons, the flat Desert and the high altitude unpaved forest roads of the Dixie National Forest. Take your pick as we did trying to find the ghost town of Widstoe passing right by the area that was on fire last week. From what seemed to be Widstoe, southbound to the entrance of Bryce Canyon, a little detour while closing the loop back to Escalante to Grosvernor Arch and even as we were by then loosing the sun just a few minutes at the Kodachrome State Park where the trails are many and so are photo opportunities. Sometimes I feel as we are still scouting the area as some of them we need to go back and spend more time.

The big aspect of it all has been the lack of traffic in this area. Maybe this will all change as the Fourth of July weekend is coming up? This all feels as we are in a separate part of the World, so far from anything one might have a need for… even finding decent food sometimes is a task waiting for the days of delivery! Be well… Ara & Spirit

Great write-up Ara - and thank you for saving Spirit. Pit's do have a bad rep - unfortunately I am one who does not fully trust the breed. Rotties also have a bad rep - tho I trust the ones my daughter takes in. She has saved several of these and I've found them to be fun, loving and love to play. At one time she had a 115 pound Rottie - I used to wrestle with him on the living room floor. Just beat the daylights out of each other, and he loved every minute of it. :D

I am a transporter, Ara. Meaning that when the need arises I will take a morning, or afternoon, and transport dogs going from bad situations, like kill shelters and bad homes, to new and hopefully better homes. I usually make the run between Memphis and Brinkley, AR - about 65 miles one way. Nobody pays for our gas or our time - it's strictly volunteer. But I can also combine transports with road trips - following the old roads on my way back to Memphis.

It's amazing the distances these animals travel - 2 weekends back I carried 4 cocker spaniels, coming from Ohio and Kentucky, over to Brinkley to meet another voluteer who carried them to Little Rock, passing them on until they arrived at their new shelter home in Tyler, TX. Unfortunately, there was a 10 year old Senior who was not well. She didn't make it, crossing, as we say, over the Rainbow Bridge 3 days after arriving in Texas. But she didn't die in a shelter - she left in a loving environment.

Safe travels, Ara and Spirit.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

That is really "noble" of you. Sounds like their is an nderground network to transport those Dogs, and that is a good thing. Sorry to hear about the one that did not make it... that is so sad, but as you said she as surrounded with Love...

We might go back to "Friends of Anumals" again in Kanab soon... that was quite a place!

Thanks for writing and keep up the good work... they all deserve it!

323260292_jpRK8-L.jpg

Saving Spirit and the end of “that” ride, Utah.

A reader asked me, rightly so, how it came about for Spirit and I to be together… It is amazing how some moments are never forgotten and one can relive them! It was then, 3 years have passed and I can just hope for many more to come by one day at the time.

And then the end of a great day’s ride to Gosverner Arch, a bumpy road with much washboard and deep sand combination testing again the limits of the rig with a knobby that is almost gone. We are going through rear tires a bit too fast, those knobbies disappear “like butter”, but it is our only way to handle the local back roads. Riding the black top to get to them does not help either.

Happy 4th of July to you all… be careful with that BBQ! We need to find one ourselves, it is good weather for it.

Enjoy the Blog, the long weekend… till later, you all be well.

Ara & Spirit

Ara,

Another great story and photographs! Of course I loved the story about how you and Spirit got together, and I know it will touch Alex as well.

I was first in Kodachrome Flats back in the early 1960’s, before it was a park, and did not return until a few years ago. (As a complete aside, I just ran a spell check on this post and MS word doesn’t recognize Kodachrome as a valid word in their dictionary….I mean does that make me feel old…..when the most famous film of my day isn’t even in the computer dictionary!!) :D

But back to the Flats! Today it is Kodachome Basin, but its earlier name, and the one that stays with me, is the one the National Geographic gave it in the late 1940’s when they featured it in a story….which was Kodachrome Flat. I think it was also called Chimney Rocks for a while.

Your photographs really bring the place alive! It is fun to see the area through your eyes. The whole of southern Utah is marvelous, and once you get away from a few touristy places, pretty much unspoiled.

Another area that would be interesting to explore would be the Arizona Strip, north of Grand Canyon. It would definitely not be a one man and a dog thing though, as you need a back up rig ….or friends who will go out for you if you don’t show up at a predetermined time and place.

Enjoy the 4th!

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

You will see much more of Kodachrome! I saw the poster near the big rock where they made the movie in 1943! I forgot to take a picture of it... I was too involved with that rock just there out of nowhere with many of its variations embedded in it! So... let me know when you get over here!!!

Will have a Kodak moment in Kodachrome!

325850259_ZYYcH-L.jpg

“One door closes, another one opens up…”

If you believe in above, well, it will happen as it happens to us quite often, one reason to stay calm when some doors shut hard, the draft of Life will ajar another one fairly quickly!

The bottom line? Cost of living has tremendously gone up these past two years, in fuel, food, tire and oil changes alone the budget has been screaming! We are here to explore this incredibly large area, at the same time stumbled on a two days a week work situation that you need to read about! Just too good to pass it up… it is a Dog loving circle where… you “have” to bring your Dog to work with you! For now it is all good and will just see what happens later as the cold weathers will come back and will need to move on as we always have done… I cannot even think that far ahead… So no excuse to not stop by and see us, either in Escalante or Boulder where we will be two days a week… working hard, meaning I will… with Spirit’s supervision! As usual…

“The Burr Trail Grill and Outpost” is the name by the way…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

327267039_VSACt-L.jpg

Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah

Hard to believe how long we have been in Utah and the discoveries just will not cease! Kodachrome Basin State Park is a “gem” to be savored, all the colors throughout the many intensities of the sun rays culminating with the incredible hues of the “pipes” and rocks at sunset makes one wonder through the photos if it is even real or Photoshoped! It is not!!! Almost fluorescent for a few moments, for the last minutes of the day they are as unseen anywhere else.

It was a hot day, a bit absent minded forgetting many things we needed, but… with a bit of imagination a couple hikes were possible!

Hope you get to experience it soon… and yes, Dogs are allowed on the trails, how refreshing.

You be well… Ara & Spirit

There will be more about this road in the next Blog also... the road itself has a lot of interesting facts!

329192865_VUQu6-L.jpg

Hell’s Backbone loop and bridge, Utah

A name that stands for the fact that it follows a ridge with sheer drops on each side, but also must have been given for its washboard quality unseen from my part before!

It is a spectacular trail, they say suited for a passenger car, I say “not really” unless an SUV, some good suspension and patience.

We have the company of a reader, Pete, from near San Diego, with a unique trailering device as he is riding his 1974 Honda Sabre pulling his Suzuki DR 350... You read right! 2 motorcycles, one rider on his own Journey for a month.

An unhappy “morning grouchy” Spirit… a 5am wake up call is too early for him, I will let him sleep in a bit today!

A bit wondering where winter will take us, where would be interesting good weathered lands for those cold months, the third round for us since on the road…

All in the Blog… As always, be well… Ara & Spirit

330162016_de3c5-L.jpg

Is it more than just a road? More on Hell’s Backbone… Utah

Since joining American Road Forum, the more scenic and difficult the road traveled gets, the more I want to read about it, find out its history, and cannot help thinking about its past, sometimes visualizing the hundreds of people that have built it at a time where the machinery used was definitely not what we have today! Hell’s Backbone has been one of those, specially when around a curve one can suddenly see about a mile of it as a ribbon following the curves of its mountains.

I am also finding myself having to be detached from the kitchen where I spend my first day working solo. Finding out that all these years have followed me, are still part of me. It is a great job as I have to tell myself to go in, do the work and leave without any thoughts of… improving this or that! When I see Spirit behind that screen door I am content that Karma has presented this path for us, we could not have asked for more.

I think the Blog says it all… Be well, Ara & Spirit

332297902_pehFm-L.jpg

Vagabonding to Capitol Reef, Utah

In the beginning “nice” was having an Internet connection… today nice is taking off knowing that there will be none. “Destinations” were planned, today it is just wandering with only a eye out for the weather going the opposite direction of the clouds. There will always be a surprise in Utah that will materialize as it did these past days. It was Gooseneck Point and Capitol Reef and a nice cool shaded campground. Shade is good these days as we are entering the hottest days of the year. It makes it for interesting viewing when finally coupled with the laptop looking back at all the pictures taken.

I felt bad for some riders the other day on their way up to an Annual BMW Rally. They still had 10 days to get there but their leader never taking his helmet off while gassing up kept honking the horn while others and I where chatting and taking pictures. Memories of blurred miles markers versus seeing so much beauty they will miss… hope that some day they will slow down… Been there, done that… “this” is much nicer…

Check out the Blog… and be well, Ara & Spirit

Ara and Spirit,

Well you guys are now walking exactly where I have been in the past. And your photos have convinced me that I better practice a lot before I go out with a camera again. BTW, did you hold the camera out over the edge with the tripod and use the self timer for some of those looking-down-in-the-canyon shots? If not, you were too close to the edge! I have been there, and know that little spot and view exactly!

I hope Torrey is still shaded and relatively unspoiled. I didn’t see a shot of the old mill between Torrey and Bicknell? And the orchards in Capitol Reef look as inviting as ever.

This is probably very silly, but I wonder if you could rig a back pack to carry Spirit. I recall carrying my son in a back pack when he was little, and since Spirit is used to riding, maybe a back pack…..Of course, I don’t know what he weighs…just a weird thought, but I do know how tough it is to walk in the National Parks with a dog.

Dave

Ara and Spirit,

This is probably very silly, but I wonder if you could rig a back pack to carry Spirit. I recall carrying my son in a back pack when he was little, and since Spirit is used to riding, maybe a back pack…..Of course, I don't know what he weighs…just a weird thought, but I do know how tough it is to walk in the National Parks with a dog.

Dave

There are back packs made especially for carrying smaller dogs (ie, I think you could carry up to 40 pounds). Available at most pet stores - my daughter has a small one (front pack) for her chiuaua (sp??) and the pup loves it.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

You know I never thought about the tripod trick!!! But... I have a cheap tripod and would probably loose the camera!!! I really like using it though, even with Image stabilizer I think the pictures are sharper... Too much riding... shaky hands... The backpack... Spirit is 60 lbs... great idea but not feasable, I just wish they would change those rules! We have not gone beyond Torey... yet!

333486173_2m5sK-L.jpg

A bit more of Capitol Reef, the “Grand Wash”, Utah

Great commercial shot above!… it is a great helmet with the visor really protecting from the sun quite often. One can do the “Grand Wash” in an hour or spend all day as we almost did. Walking part of it is also a great experience between the walls of this Canyon with a constant change in the rock formations and endless colors of red hues. Stay away if ever storming, you will see the signs anyhow, the flash floods must be tremendous and happens so fast.

The “space” at the campground is real peaceful and as much as I don’t care too much for them we had a great time, a social time exchanging stories with the tourists passing by. Spirit of course is always the highlight, myself… more and more I feel as a Travel or Tour Guide agent! It has been nice to share the little bit of knowledge I have acquired from Utah…

Enjoy the Blog… and till next time you all be well.

Ara & Spirit

You know I never thought about the tripod trick!!! But... I have a cheap tripod and would probably loose the camera!!! I really like using it though, even with Image stabilizer I think the pictures are sharper... Too much riding... shaky hands... The backpack... Spirit is 60 lbs... great idea but not feasable, I just wish they would change those rules! We have not gone beyond Torey... yet!

333486173_2m5sK-L.jpg

A bit more of Capitol Reef, the "Grand Wash", Utah

Great commercial shot above!… it is a great helmet with the visor really protecting from the sun quite often. One can do the "Grand Wash" in an hour or spend all day as we almost did. Walking part of it is also a great experience between the walls of this Canyon with a constant change in the rock formations and endless colors of red hues. Stay away if ever storming, you will see the signs anyhow, the flash floods must be tremendous and happens so fast.

The "space" at the campground is real peaceful and as much as I don't care too much for them we had a great time, a social time exchanging stories with the tourists passing by. Spirit of course is always the highlight, myself… more and more I feel as a Travel or Tour Guide agent! It has been nice to share the little bit of knowledge I have acquired from Utah…

Enjoy the Blog… and till next time you all be well.

Ara & Spirit

At 60 pounds the dog should maybe be carrying you!!!!! LOL I agree - a 60 pound dog is a bit much to carry around.

Safe traveling my friend.

Hudsonly

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN