American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lifelong Journey On The Road...

beemerchef

Wow... I need to do some serious research on that!... I just got back a few minutes ago from the Valley of the Gods loop!!! Funny... what luxury right now as it is only 25 miles away... "so what did you do tonight?... Oh!... Valley of the Gods!"... It is such a perfect gravel road for the rig and just right to use all three brakes in succession!

Mexican Hat?... yes, motels... the $30 Steak house and a band was playing!!! Will write more about it... Have to find those roads as I still want to also do Butler Wash which will go all the way to 70. Wet right now... back to the electric heated gear tonight!

Later and be well... Ara & Spirit

I recognize Butler Wash, but you must mean connecting roads would go all the way to 70…assuming 70 used here is the interstate and not your speed!

The shot on a three wheeler is here.

http://library.usu.edu/Specol/photoarchive...3191-10-01.html

You will recognize some of his other photo sites.

My knowledge of the area is an inch deep and only a couple of inches wide…but the Hopkins Monumental Highway trail blazing of 1917 would be a kick to retrace today. The turn by turn directions he included seem pretty easy to follow.

The “original” Mexican Hat was just east/northeast of the stone pile of the same name, and on the river. It was also an early auto camp site, as I recall. The old topos from the teens show it, but I suspect it has disappeared from natural causes.

I suppose the original Mormon wagon party that settled Bluff after their terrible experiences at Hole-in-the-Rock struggled south along Comb Wash and over the ridge, crossing Butler Wash in the process. That was quite a story in and of itself! Have you had the opportunity to track that at all??

Enjoy Butler Wash and thanks for sharing your travels!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I recognize Butler Wash, but you must mean connecting roads would go all the way to 70…assuming 70 used here is the interstate and not your speed!

The shot on a three wheeler is here.

http://library.usu.edu/Specol/photoarchive...3191-10-01.html

You will recognize some of his other photo sites.

My knowledge of the area is an inch deep and only a couple of inches wide…but the Hopkins Monumental Highway trail blazing of 1917 would be a kick to retrace today. The turn by turn directions he included seem pretty easy to follow.

The “original” Mexican Hat was just east/northeast the stone of the same name, and on the river. It was also an early auto camp site, as I recall. The old topos from the teens show it, but I suspect it has disappeared from natural causes.

I suppose the original Mormon wagon party that settled Bluff after their terrible experiences at Hole-in-the-Rock struggled south along Comb Wash and over the ridge, crossing Butler Wash in the process. That was quite a story in and of itself! Have you had the opportunity to track that at all??

Enjoy Butler Wash!

Dave

You are blowing me away with those pictures now!!! There is even Twin Rocks where now the restaurant is on... OK... I'll get back... I will be up all night trying to piece them together!... I am on a mission now!... Thanks!!! be well... Ara & Spirit

PS: and yes on the Mormons, did a Blog on their only cabin remaining just a few feet from here. It looks like those pictures are not protected. I am going to try to do "before" and "later" on most of those!!!

You are blowing me away with those pictures now!!! There is even Twin Rocks where now the restaurant is on... OK... I'll get back... I will be up all night trying to piece them together!... I am on a mission now!... Thanks!!! be well... Ara & Spirit

PS: and yes on the Mormons, did a Blog on their only cabin remaining just a few feet from here. It looks like those pictures are not protected. I am going to try to do "before" and "later" on most of those!!!

You are in a gold mine of interesting country, as you well know.

I thought the Hopkins story had some relevance for you, since you are covering the same ground he and Dolph Andrus (gees I love that name…Dolph Andrus…all American Boy!) covered in 1917.

Look on this forum for “On the Trail of the Motor Men of 1917” under US Highways and auto Trails for the article. It is almost certainly unknown, in that the magazine I bought is unknown and probably the only surviving copy. Folks who know Utah road history seem to be unaware of the story. I was going to document it myself, but I don’t mind if someone beats me to the punch…its all for the fun and sharing anyway. (Correction: I just had contact with a fellow not yet on the forum, who is a road pro in Utah & does know the story, and hopes to follow it up one day. Maybe the race is on. :rolleyes::D )

Since you have the time, talent, and inclination I urge you to read the article. I think I posted the whole thing, but I may have missed a page. I can probably also find the 1913 (I think) topo again.

As a bit of a side note, Andrus was school superintendent in Bluff and Hopkins a dentist in Salt Lake. Hopkins promoted the Monumental Highway for a few years, then apparently got into other interests.

There was a rock cabin 12.3 miles west of Bluff, along the old route near your present route between Mexican Hat and Butler Wash. Today’s question…will the modern Motor Man and his Faithful Companion find the lost stone cabin?

Happy travels and if you discover the cabin (or the site) in the story .take a photo for all of us to enjoy!

Dave

PS

I grew up in the days of radio, with Tom Mix, the Lone Ranger, and Sky King, with their faithful companions finding the “lost cities” and “stone cabins” of the imagination. It is easy for me to transfer that to images of your adventures, so forgive retro comments from time to time.

There are two or three lost cities in the area, not counting the many Native American ruins. The town of Oljeto was more prominent in 1917, and for all I know today is lost in the past…I don’t know. But the oil town of Douglas Camp is a real lost city....at least on maps. When you read the story you will recognize it. And of course the original Mexican Hat and Raplees Cabins are “lost” but perhaps there are some foundations or other remnants.

Anyway, as I said before…Happy Travels!

302263807_6uhD5-L.jpg

Canyon the Chelly, Utah

Pronounced “sha-e”, I stood corrected. A nice ride into Arizona exploring the cliffs of this Canyon I had never heard of till a few days ago. Beautiful and breathtaking, uncrowded on Navajo Land as they also live in the Valley with much farming utilizing the rich soil available.

For the first time we were not alone, joined by Art, a reader and rider from New York City, New York… curious of our Lifestyle. Quite a step for him to pack up and go as it seems that his own Journey has turned into Jell-O abandoning all the plans he had drawn on his map and just following his nose.

It is never the “destination” truly, but the Journey. A bit of cooking, many pictures and ourselves will go back again to ride some of the roads we did not have a chance to touch yet.

Enjoy the Canyon, I hope you get to visit it some day soon…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Throw the Dog a Bone… Spirited T shirts… Mouse Pads… Photography…

302263807_6uhD5-L.jpg

Canyon the Chelly, Utah

Pronounced “sha-e”, I stood corrected. A nice ride into Arizona exploring the cliffs of this Canyon I had never heard of till a few days ago. Beautiful and breathtaking, uncrowded on Navajo Land as they also live in the Valley with much farming utilizing the rich soil available.

For the first time we were not alone, joined by Art, a reader and rider from New York City, New York… curious of our Lifestyle. Quite a step for him to pack up and go as it seems that his own Journey has turned into Jell-O abandoning all the plans he had drawn on his map and just following his nose.

It is never the “destination” truly, but the Journey. A bit of cooking, many pictures and ourselves will go back again to ride some of the roads we did not have a chance to touch yet.

Enjoy the Canyon, I hope you get to visit it some day soon…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara,

The shots of Canyon de Chelly were terrific. It is too bad you couldn’t follow the canyon bottom and see the rock art.

It has been at least 30 years since my last visit to the canyon, but it sounds like it is much the same as it was back then. Good!

Dave

That is my compromise on the road with Spirit, which I gladly accept... But just this once I will find a way to do it... I just don't want the 3 hr tour... they do allow camping also... I would like to meet a family down there, have dinner with them... I have written about the "long walk" in 1863 on today's Blog... very sad... I truly care for these people... We will be in Bluff a bit... so many projects!!!...

303235151_EtzUT-L.jpg

Another day by the Canyons, Utah

The riding was awesome stopping at all the overlooks, Spirit was in his glory as usual being outdoor and wind in his face… proudly sitting with his head up as a sidecar owner… (he is!!!). There were so many more roads we yet have not done due to lack of time as Art and I parted after some great company. Him going west… us going east. Now that we are familiar with the area of the Canyon de Chelly, we will plan again to ride beyond it some passes we were told are just magnificent and twisted!

We are back in Bluff for a couple of days, changing brake pads and trying to figure out why there is a couple of drops of oil sipping from under the front cover… I need to be in that “mood” to do mechanical work… I think today is it!

More pictures on the Blog… as always.

Be well.

Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

304819104_xePcw-L.jpg

Camping at Monument Valley, Utah

Those longs days are tiresome sometimes when trying to catch sunsets and sunrises back to back! Even Spirit in still darkness, in the am his eyes half closed seems to be complaining!

It was just some place visited before but never camped in… Monument Valley.

We took our time getting there and also a small detour in Oljato to check out the Trading Post, an original built in 1921.

On to the park we had first row seats ahead of everyone with the same idea! What I thought would be a non sense turned into fun while chatting with the many foreigners present, taking advantage of their beneficial Euro exchange….

There will be a couple chapters of this outing… too many pictures and too much going on!

Be well… always…

Ara & Spirit

306523395_zuutU-L.jpg

So more camping at Monument Valley! Utah…

This was camping with photography in mind… the dirt road loop also I have to say is always kind of challenging trying to always figure out a better line and explore the possibilities of the rig’s handling! Nice also to meet many foreigners taking advantage of the Euro exchange and listen to their own perspective about traveling and visiting this Country. Only one complain… same as mine… the food situation! But look at where we are! Food Distributors don’t even want to deliver their ingredients this far… time… and fuel costs! So… keep on cooking!

The heat in the air is being really felt this morning and the “no-see-ums”, I think same as “gnats” (?) are out in full force… I thought we left them behind in Florida… but wrong! I even tried “dryer sheets” to keep them away… not much is working… Colorado Mountains are sounding more and more appealing!!!

Till next time… enjoy the pictures… maybe the writing too!

Be well Ara & Spirit

So more camping at Monument Valley! Utah…

This was camping with photography in mind… the dirt road loop also I have to say is always kind of challenging trying to always figure out a better line and explore the possibilities of the rig's handling! Nice also to meet many foreigners taking advantage of the Euro exchange and listen to their own perspective about traveling and visiting this Country. Only one complain… same as mine… the food situation! But look at where we are! Food Distributors don't even want to deliver their ingredients this far… time… and fuel costs! So… keep on cooking!

The heat in the air is being really felt this morning and the "no-see-ums", I think same as "gnats" (?) are out in full force… I thought we left them behind in Florida… but wrong! I even tried "dryer sheets" to keep them away… not much is working… Colorado Mountains are sounding more and more appealing!!!

Till next time… enjoy the pictures… maybe the writing too!

Be well Ara & Spirit

Ara & Spirit,

I'm getting to the point where one of the highlites of my day is opeing the American Road Forum and finding another of your great trip reports. It sounds like you are having the time of your life, and since we can't be there in person sharing your trip your reports are the next best thing.

Safe traveling - our days won't be brightened when your journey ends and your reports are no more.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Hi Alex!!! I see you are in Memphis... you can go in the Archives and check out our visit there!!!... Had to... had to see Elvis's house... what a shame we did not meet there... I am sure you could have directed us to some good BBQ!...we missed out on that channel...

This Journey is as another phase of my Life... I lived on a sailboat for 28 years! Never wrote about it, mainly in Marinas but sailing weekly also and often months at the time, funny as no pictures either! What was I thinking?... just the Sea and I... at the time "Tascha" was with me... "Lady Tascha" she was called... a gentle water loving black Lab!!! But that was then, today is "now"... We will be on the road for quite a while... at times recharging the finances as right now (I hope getting paid!!!) by working 2 to 3 days a week in an area such as this which still gives us throughout this nice weather (33 today... hummm) the ability to roam within a circle of a 400 mile diameter... and maybe as you know, it will take weeks to explore it all!... Then time to move on... and confront higher fuel prices!!!... It has put a damper a bit... I always thought how great it would be to have a get together with people like you!... Maybe some day... There are a couple projects in the work!!!

Thansk for writing... and be well. Ara & Spirit

307106344_RdtMa-L-1.jpg

Is it winter… again?

33 degrees a few miles up the road, dark clouds and much rain yesterday… but it looks like all will change tomorrow when we head out soon (I like to use that word!… no time frame…) to the “Antelope Slot Canyon” in Page, by Lake Powell. We are looking forward to it… Spirit will stay behind for a couple hours under the watchful eyes of the Lady that books the Tours as no one is allowed in without a guide, and Dogs cannot join us… again! Not my favorite way to go… but I think it will be worth it…

I am still lost within the images of Monument Valley! Hard to get tired of it when they project such a constant change of shadows throughout the day starting with sunrise, specially when no one is around but us…

The rest of the images are here…

Be well… always… Ara & Spirit

310120224_qYwzb-L.jpg

Page, AZ… the lower Canyon

All I could say while visiting both upper and lower Antelope Slot Canyon was “phenomenal”… as truly I was left speechless by the wonders that Mother Nature truly outdoing herself on this both occasions.

A bit of a rough ride due to some heavy winds going in, sailing with ease coming up… one makes up for the extra fuel used the other way! I guess!

Page is a busy town… a Super Center Walmart probably says it all!

The weather was perfect and still is, will stay as is all summer? The area might then be called Paradise.

Many pictures of the Canyons, so many that I will eventually create a SmuMug Gallery for them soon!

Enjoy… and as always, be well.

Ara & Spirit

Ara,

Your Blog is the best I have read and seen of that area since before they built the Glen Canyon Dam! I am going to post another contribution just to pay for the pleasure of seeing and reading the blog!

It would be presumptuous of me to suggest that you might create even more spectacular photos, and you may be adverse to messing with the “natural” images. But I would have been interested in HDR (High density range) shots in some instances where your strong overhead light washes out details. The process is perfect for the Southwest lighting situation.

Really great HDR photos are challenging to get because they require successive shots of the same scene at different exposures, then computer processing that combines highlights and shadows in a controlled manner, to retain both…to any degree you wish. But the results can knock your socks off. And arguably the shots are closer to what you eye sees.

The loss may be a small drop in sharpness because even perfect shots seldom overlap perfectly. The software does however align slight mismatches in the photos quite well.

If you are not familiar with the process, it is quite easy on the computer end, but does require rock steady multiple exposures for the best results (although I get by hand holding sometimes). Does your camera do aperture priority exposure bracketing? If so, you can easily experiment. If you have further interest I can provide amateur level directions.

Great photos and narrative!

And now I have to plan an off season trip down to Page.

Dave

Hi Dave! I have a great HDR software... it is the free one and has a little tiny mark on the bottom left corner that I always crop... It is a tough one... I have had the best results by using HDR but leaving the curves except the skies pretty much as is... There is much debate on it... as there is for Photoshop! I did not like when this Pro told me that there are no more Photgraphers left but only Software Artists!!! It is also very time consuming. I have one blog, in Oregon where all the pictures are HDR... will try to find which one and post the link. And then again... I like to document my Journey... sometimes the picture conditions are just not right... but yet, I like to post it... There has been days when I only take pictures in the morning and evening golden hour... but not enough! On another note... we might be leaving Utah for Colorado... will know in a few hours... long story!!!... and then again maybe go and nstall ourselves in Escalante for a month before Colorado... call me... Jell-O... that's OK!!! Hope you like the pictures on this newly posted Blog! It was amazing...

310113793_b5FoC-L.jpg

More of Page and the Lower Canyon, AZ

You will probably now, with more pictures decide to visit this Lower canyon while in the Page area! I will probably again some day, it has to be the most unique experience I have ever had… right up there with anything else seen these past couple years.

I will know most likely later on the day, as we are moving on tomorrow, which way we will be headed… The little town of Boulder, Utah or start Colorado from south to north… Either way trying to find cooler weather for our outdoor activities. Spirit just does not do very well with the heat.

If it is Colorado we will just have to come back again later on as there are so many more roads and sights to experience…

I posted about 20 more pictures of the Canyon… the last of them besides the Gallery I will build up soon.

Be well… always…

Ara & Spirit

I will know most likely later on the day, as we are moving on tomorrow, which way we will be headed… The little town of Boulder, Utah or start Colorado from south to north… Either way trying to find cooler weather for our outdoor activities. Spirit just does not do very well with the heat.

If it is Colorado we will just have to come back again later on as there are so many more roads and sights to experience…

I posted about 20 more pictures of the Canyon… the last of them besides the Gallery I will build up soon.

Be well… always…

Ara & Spirit

The latest photos even surpassed the previous. Amazing!

And regarding “no photographers…only software artists,” sounds like someone who hasn’t mastered the software! Did he use a pinhole and glass plates? I chuckle because I recall the endless discussions of the 1950’s and 60’s as to whether photography was “art,” or not.

My own photograph is severely handicapped by a lack of talent, I’m too lazy to really master software techniques, …..and I am of the “I know what I like” school of art. None the less, I do recognize exceptional work, like yours.

The more I see of your travels, the more I wish I had taken the trip I planned in early April. Happily, there is fall, and next spring, and even winter. The best trip I ever made to the southwest was in December. White on red is fantastic.

Bo, our 13 year old Malamute, sends his best to Spirt, but prefers sleeping over riding these days. He is in his dotage, so we are more or less homebound for a while yet.

Have you decided where next?

Dave

The latest photos even surpassed the previous. Amazing!

And regarding “no photographers…only software artists,” sounds like someone who hasn’t mastered the software! Did he use a pinhole and glass plates? I chuckle because I recall the endless discussions of the 1950’s and 60’s as to whether photography was “art,” or not.

My own photograph is severely handicapped by a lack of talent, I’m too lazy to really master software techniques, …..and I am of the “I know what I like” school of art. None the less, I do recognize exceptional work, like yours.

The more I see of your travels, the more I wish I had taken the trip I planned in early April. Happily, there is fall, and next spring, and even winter. The best trip I ever made to the southwest was in December. White on red is fantastic.

Bo, our 13 year old Malamute, sends his best to Spirt, but prefers sleeping over riding these days. He is in his dotage, so we are more or less homebound for a while yet.

Have you decided where next?

Dave

Well, it has been decided that we are going to Escalante (UT)! We will be there sunday after Cortez for a tire!... I just cannot leave Utah yet... and things here in Bluff... well... I will write about it soon...

Photography can get so complex in the mind!... and I don't like software... and then again... even non artistic photos for documention need it sometimes... Let me know if ever you want to do some roads here! I am a real pain to travel with... I get into a space of my own and might stop every 200 feet for a picture... But, as a team project that would be fun complemented with the old stories and the present ones... Say HI to Bo!... Spirit being 4 now, I think he would just tell him to "calm down"!!!

Be well Dave... Ara & Spirit

Hey Dave, this one is for you! Dynamic HDR (free download). I did not crop the left little making. There are so many variations and curves one can do that it can take an hour per photo! Like it? Like it not? It is subjective... I bracket at times, HDR would be easy... as long as one uses a tripod or don't shake with an IS lens.

311611291_wqRan-L.jpg

Be well... Ara & Spirit

*camping at Valley of the Gods by the way.

Hey Dave, this one is for you! Dynamic HDR (free download). I did not crop the left little making. There are so many variations and curves one can do that it can take an hour per photo! Like it? Like it not? It is subjective... I bracket at times, HDR would be easy... as long as one uses a tripod or don't shake with an IS lens.

311611291_wqRan-L.jpg

Be well... Ara & Spirit

*camping at Valley of the Gods by the way.

Now there is another beautiful image!

I have been to Escalante a couple of times in the past 45 years, most recently about 4 years ago. I can’t say that I have much recollection of the village itself, but the area between there and Capitol Reef, including Capitol Reef is nice.

Back in about 1963 I was in Escalante, and had my old (new then) Nikon F. I had a “preset” 400mm lens that was over a foot and a half long. It could have been mistaken for a baseball bat! Anyway, I recall taking a photo near Escalante of a distant deserted cabin with a “stair step” in the background. Keep an eye out for the cabin!! :lol:

Beyond Boulder, are you headed via Torrey and Capitol Reef toward Colorado? I like Torrey, with its tree shaded main street. There is also an organization there that has an interesting bookstore…or there was 4 years ago.

Between Escalante and Torrey, you gain some elevation, and I think I recall aspen groves, and maybe nice camping possibilities. Of course there is another route that leaves Boulder and eventually would take you to Blanding…but I have never tried it.

Happy and safe travels!

Dave

That is the way we are going since we are in Cortez now... :rolleyes: There is no shortcut!!! Monticello to Blanding to the bridges to Boulder to Escalante... almost 300 miles unless we start... flying!!!

312633280_5goG2-L.jpg

A side trip! Cortez… Co

We had to get to a big city! This is big… and I am finding myself not doing well in such of an atmosphere. Spirit neither, he is just not happy as usual. An event as the Cortez Cultural Center and meeting another traveler, Sergio from Boston, who joined us for the event saved the day and the mind… Dancing, Traditions, Story telling by an 84 year old Navajo Code Talker… it was a great evening of entertainment and culture.

We are headed out in the am, all the errands are done, mail has followed me on queue including my new tags and Driver’s License! After all I am still a Florida Resident as so many others that only live there half of the time.

I am a bit torn between continuing north in Colorado or go to… Escalante for a while. I am so drawn to the later. Maybe Spirit will decide in the morning… Bluff? You can read about it here…

Till next time… from who knows where!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

313872647_5r6cM-L.jpg

We are in Escalante, Utah…

If you have never done 95 and 12 from Blanding or vice versa you owe to yourself to do it as a once in a Lifetime amazing first “Utah’s All-American Road”. We are now in Escalante, our new home base for a while and will go back to explore and photograph one section at the time. My concept is always either no pictures or stop every mile!… It could have taken us weeks to get here.

There is so much that it could be overwhelming as besides the maps, the locals already have given me tips on out of the way destinations. In the meantime, Old Faithful decided to take a break by developing a rear final drive leak!… Just a seal. I am sure with the help of many on Motorcycle Forums I will be able to replace… when the part gets here! No overnight shipping in this town… So Spirit and I will check out by foot this small city… however a bit bigger than Bluff.

Enjoy the Antelope Slot “Upper” Canyon today on the Blog

Be well, as always… Ara & Spirit

Very touched by what you wrote Dave... They are words that I will save in my little file... Thank you... you reach deeper than you think.

There is a road here I am sure you know... "Hole in the Rock", the famous one that was hand built at the end to let the wagons down, or maybe it was up. Unfortunately my rig will not make the last 7 miles!!! This no country to fool around with... actually permit is needed to camp... free... But as I did many years ago I will always let someone know where we are going. That vast! yes! Thanks again Dave...

315573918_SSbCm-L.jpg

Some repairs in Escalante, Utah

We are on the road always at the mercy of a breakage. It is always the hidden factor that can change plans, routes and finances for sure. They came in threes! One more to go as far as fixing… waiting for a new rear hub seal, but in the meantime still riding a bit around the town.

The only Motorcycle Shop within two hundred miles is right here! A couple miles away… that is what I call good Karma as I was not aware of it when planning to come here. This is a main thoroughfare for two wheelers traveling, even travelers on foot, bicycles, and “Desert Doctor” does pretty well for the ill fated riders unprepared for this area.

It is getting hot during the day, I like it, just have to keep an eye on Spirit and from now on he will ride with his nice red cover on!… Never thought that one would come in so handy…

Enjoy the Blog… I know some of you will pass by here… let me know… will buy you a cup of coffee!!!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara,

I know you will make being “stranded” in Escalante an opportunity to form new friendships, so I look forward to reading your experiences on the blog. I hope we get a shot of Spirit in his new “threads!”

I have been through Escalante a few times, the first time probably in the mid to late 1960’s and most recently about 5 years ago. I think this shot was taken near there, from the road. At the time we were traveling from Bryce to Kodachrome Flats (Basin) (take a look when you have wheels), and into Escalante. (PS, I have now looked at the time stamps on some 2003 digital photos taken in the area, which amazingly include separate photos of the same bluff and Escalante, and we were about 30 minutes west of Escalante, which puts the cabin near Henrieville)

The photo was taken in 1968 with my old Nikon F (which I still have…and it still works) and what was called a preset 400mm telephoto lens with maximum f8 aperture. Preset just meant that you manually opened the aperture to max to focus, then closed it down manually to the previously metered exposure aperture that you had “preset.” All manually. It was almost as long as a baseball bat! Now my little snap and shoot has a zoom that goes out to over 500mm and it is less than 3 inches long!

ARCabin1968.jpg

Even today, I wonder about the lives lived in that old deserted cabin. Hot as all get out in the summer, a foot or more of snow in the winter…that big tree the only protection from the sun and the wind. Did the occupants appreciate the scenery, and have a few eggs to eat occasionally, or was life just one hardship after another. If you do make it to Kodacrome Flats, look for that bluff and maybe there is some of the old cabin still standing! Unlikely!

When you do get on the road, I get the impression you will be headed toward Boulder, Torrey, and Capitol Reef. I think there may be some nice camping sites between Boulder and Torrey, and when you reach Torrey the big trees that line the “downtown” will be a welcome bit of shade.

I have pulled up some 3D photos I took around Capitol Reef in 2003. If you get that way again on your way to Colorado, I may post a couple. Or maybe post a preview for you!!

Travel safe.

Dave

Ara,

Even today, I wonder about the lives lived in that old deserted cabin. Hot as all get out in the summer, a foot or more of snow in the winter…that big tree the only protection from the sun and the wind. Did the occupants appreciate the scenery, and have a few eggs to eat occasionally, or was life just one hardship after another. If you do make it to Kodacrome Flats, look for that bluff and maybe there is some of the old cabin still standing! Unlikely!

Travel safe.

Dave

I suspect that there were more husband/wives murdering each other thru those long winters - and a few during the hot summers - than Hollywood ever mentioned. Stuck in one of those small 1 (at best), 2 (maybe) or 3 (Baby we have arrived) room cabins.

People must have been tougher than today for sure.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Too funny... but yes, people must have been tougher... this is a "rough" area... unlike Moab area if stuck you do not have a Jeep coming by every 5 mn's! Even though, I was told that a Ranger is suppose to be drive those roads once a day... Now that would be a good job! As soon as I have a new knobbie we will get on those roads... in the meantime we are staying on black top a bit... A Friend of mine is trying to adapt a VW 15" wheel for the rig, rear of the bike... will mount a snow tire and then we can really get places!!!

316812110_qVnRq-L.jpg

Rolling again! Utah.

They came in three… they have been fixed in three! A bit of hiking with a very upset Spirit during a 5:30am wake up call, but all worth seeing the incredible colors of the Escalante Petrified Forest, another marvel accomplished by Mother Nature…

The new seal was waiting when we returned and so embarrassed to find out that it was the easiest repair I have ever done! Could not stay still too long after 3 days pretty much at idle… so a ride to Penguitch to meet some of the Rally goers and a beautiful night time ride back to camp, arriving around midnight!

All this in one day… seems that my energy has doubled since here!

Returning today, met up with some old friends at the “Beehive Beemer” get together, unfortunately it only took one, with his unprovoked profanities and foul language, a “dog hater” I was told by the registration desk, all this because Spirit was barking while I was using the facilities! A facet of a society I thought I had abandoned long time ago. As “management” was OK with it, only saying they are… “sooo sorry!“, a Charter Club, a disgrace to the Motorcycle community, we left the “space” fouled by this individual and waiting for a public apology. As I always say… “School is always open”…

Be well… all is well here!… including Spirit. Ara & Spirit