American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lifelong Journey On The Road...

beemerchef

284393931_zWY7f-L.jpg

Back in Bluff, Utah…

That view, that serene… and windy (!!!) space is no more as we have moved back to Bluff trying to get some tranquility with the weather. There is no rest when it blows in the Desert, and so strange as there is really not much of a danger, must be a mind thing!

Just hanging out here, will be dealing with some tires that should arrive shortly. Seems that the nearest shop that could mount them is a Norton Dealer in Dolores. I have send them an e mail to find out if they could also balance them.

It is time to clean up a bit, everything we own is red, dusty and beat! Not a forgiving environment…

More roads to explore around here, trying to figure out where we are going next besides again Monument Valley where none of my pictures turned out!

More on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

284393931_zWY7f-L.jpg

Back in Bluff, Utah…

That view, that serene… and windy (!!!) space is no more as we have moved back to Bluff trying to get some tranquility with the weather. There is no rest when it blows in the Desert, and so strange as there is really not much of a danger, must be a mind thing!

Just hanging out here, will be dealing with some tires that should arrive shortly. Seems that the nearest shop that could mount them is a Norton Dealer in Dolores. I have send them an e mail to find out if they could also balance them.

It is time to clean up a bit, everything we own is red, dusty and beat! Not a forgiving environment…

More roads to explore around here, trying to figure out where we are going next besides again Monument Valley where none of my pictures turned out!

More on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

WELCOME!!!

Great photo! I need to get to Bluff!

You may enjoy some posts I did a couple of months ago about a 1918 motor trip to that area. Look for the Monumental Trail

I'd go into more detail but time is slipping away...

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

Send me a link to it, would love to read it... Thanks!

285773101_Xckv3-L.jpg

People we meet and a bit of Monument Valley, Utah

At this time of the year, a ride is a gamble trying to see the sights… always the wind which can change within even 10 miles from one place to another. We tried Monument Valley twice and got lucky once, but we will not camp there as we will be headed a bit north again, probably camp at the Needles, the southern part of Canyonland. Eventually back to Moab for a bit… and then… who knows!

We meet some interesting people on the road, they are out there, just have to bump into them or make a U turn and chat!

That is mostly what is on the Blog today, specially Joff, I lift my hat to him… you need to check out his website.

You be well… see you on the road… everyone seems to be going somewhere.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

Edited by beemerchef

...everyone seems to be going somewhere.

True, but some folks are going to more interesting places on more interesting vehicles than others. I'm just marginally keeping up with "Oasis" and now I'm hooked on reading about this penny farthing thing. And I'm 10 years behind!!!!!

True, but some folks are going to more interesting places on more interesting vehicles than others. I'm just marginally keeping up with "Oasis" and now I'm hooked on reading about this penny farthing thing. And I'm 10 years behind!!!!!

I wish I would have spend more time with him... very humble man... It is only after I saw his website that I realize all he is doing!!! The tenacity and attitude... he reminds me a bit of "The Last Indian"... By the way, I have not been able to get on his site... have you?

286800515_mfTv7-L.jpg

Around and around in Circles, Utah

We had the good fortune to meet a big group of balloonists the other day going through Mexican Hat and end up spending a great morning with them, learning about the intricacies of the sport… It seems like a sport after all with more people on the ground helping than in the air. A great bunch of people and some shots which turned out not too bad after all.

We will be most likely writing from Needles next time, the southern entrance of Canyonland. Many friends are suppose to show up in Moab also but… will see how that goes.

We are doing good here, things have relaxed since being better sheltered, amazing what some nasty weather can do while living on the road…

Enjoy… the balloons!

Be well… always…

Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

he reminds me a bit of "The Last Indian"... By the way, I have not been able to get on his site... have you?

I've had no trouble (other than that 10 year backlog:-) with PennyFarthingWorldTour this morning but wasn't looking anywhere near the time you posted so can't say if there was a problem with the site or not.

I'm guessing that your "Last Indian" comment refers to the Anthony Hopkins movie "The World's Fastest Indian". Even if it wasn't, I appreciate the memory jog. I recall seeing ads for that and thinking that I really should see it but didn't and had since forgotten. Your reminder may get me to a rental store in the near future.

Good balloon stuff. With the sky color approximating this forum's background color, I thought at first glance that the balloon posted here was floating on the page.

I've had no trouble (other than that 10 year backlog:-) with PennyFarthingWorldTour this morning but wasn't looking anywhere near the time you posted so can't say if there was a problem with the site or not.

I'm guessing that your "Last Indian" comment refers to the Anthony Hopkins movie "The World's Fastest Indian". Even if it wasn't, I appreciate the memory jog. I recall seeing ads for that and thinking that I really should see it but didn't and had since forgotten. Your reminder may get me to a rental store in the near future.

Good balloon stuff. With the sky color approximating this forum's background color, I thought at first glance that the balloon posted here was floating on the page.

Yes, THAT is the movie... it is a Classic... The balloon picture was a mistake! Over exposed... and then I liked it... added much contrast and voila!!! We are south of Moab now... tried to get into Needles, still trying to get the and out of my mouth!!! Bad, very bad sandstorms...

Be well.. Ara & Spirit

288010070_KbaSV-L.jpg

We will not fight against the weather anymore! Utah

Always trying to get somewhere! Just not taking “NO” for an answer… We had to yesterday, amongst more sandstorms in Needles. And I look at the forecast as we pushed north now, at Ken’s Lake right before Moab, and none of it looks much more conductive. So we will wait… eventually this will change also… Maybe we should have stayed in Bluff, well sheltered and warm.

But the road to Needles is something to see! Just so incredibly beautiful. Soon!

We are warm inside, we have food and good health… what else do we need really!… All things must pass as they say and this will too… Soon it will be over 100 degrees most likely… that thought feels already good…

Today is like an “opening” day as our project hanging pictures in a Gallery is done! You will see it on the Blog…

Till next time, always wishing you well…

Ara & Spirit

289107329_oY6QT-L.jpg

Towards Needles, Utah

It was a beautiful day, one of those you know, A Gift from Mother Nature! Headed toward the southern entrance of Canyonland, leisurely, just relaxed with no fighting of the elements and stopping too often to take a picture and even hike a bit amongst the blooming cactuses… and sometimes chat with the tourists!

We are actually going back today to look for another campsite for next week sometime. BLM has much free camping, fenced and gated, but I checked and it will be like having our own piece of land for a while!

Interesting Petroglyphs also… all on the Blog! After all this time I still don’t know… “in” or “on” the Blog! Does it matter?

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

That's quite a rock! Wouldn't want to take that curve too fast driving a semi -- you could bash the side of the trailer into that rock!

I was thinking the same thing! And there is a gig semi that goes to the Ourpost of Needles, the food delivery truck, I saw it! SYSCO... Very cool road, posting more pictures on the Blog in a few minutes...

Be well... Ara & Spirit

290786043_Q3hiM-L.jpg

Needles and back, Utah…

I started wondering if we will ever leave Utah!!! Tomorrow we are actually moving to the Needles area. Some friends have a great site and are moving… we are going to replace them! Maybe spend one night side by side… company will be nice.

The sights are endless, every step of the way is a rock, a formation so different from each other and I love rocks! I keep imagining how their shapes over those billions of years have changed to the present. It makes me feel so minuscule!

The scenery itself is changing. We rode the Colorado River yesterday and it was like a new ride… all has become green and actually we are going back today as the sun sets to take some pictures of the glistening waters…

The weather? THIS is the time to come and visit… T Shirt and Gear Jacket… that is all!

Today’s Blog is the rest of Needles first visit and some odd Artifacts from “The Hole in the Wall”…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Throw the Dog a Bone… Spirited T shirts… Mouse Pads… Photography…

290786043_Q3hiM-L.jpg

Needles and back, Utah…

I started wondering if we will ever leave Utah!!! Tomorrow we are actually moving to the Needles area. Some friends have a great site and are moving… we are going to replace them! Maybe spend one night side by side… company will be nice.

The sights are endless, every step of the way is a rock, a formation so different from each other and I love rocks! I keep imagining how their shapes over those billions of years have changed to the present. It makes me feel so minuscule!

The scenery itself is changing. We rode the Colorado River yesterday and it was like a new ride… all has become green and actually we are going back today as the sun sets to take some pictures of the glistening waters…

The weather? THIS is the time to come and visit… T Shirt and Gear Jacket… that is all!

Today’s Blog is the rest of Needles first visit and some odd Artifacts from “The Hole in the Wall”…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Bird reminds me of a girl I met once - I don't remember much about that whole weekend either, (one of many lost weekends way, way back) come to think of it!!!

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Bird reminds me of a girl I met once - I don't remember much about that whole weekend either, (one of many lost weekends way, way back) come to think of it!!!

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

Good one!!! She must have gotten around....I think I remember her too!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

291883484_85fYg-L.jpg

La Sal Mountain loop, Utah…

I am writing this from Lockhart Pass, Needles area (Lat 38 10 / Long 109 40)… just in case you are in the neighborhood! Away from the campground, not too far from the road where I have already seen a few two wheelers go on probably to do the loop toward Hurray Pass…

But couple days ago we did the “La Sal Mountain loop” and one should not miss the incredible scenery, the fresh air and the nice curvy roads with still a bit of snow on the shoulders, enough to make a snowman for Spirit… or maybe it was a snowwoman?

Met up with many riders coming through Moab including a group of old Indians from Holland! What a Hub it is…

Will be here a while… off the grid.

Enjoy the Blog… come and visit, plenty of room here!

Be well, Ara & Spirit

292744520_xuPFy-L.jpg

Near Needles, Utah that is…

Great campsite and always much to see and experience! Today we are going to a Festival! Just found out from a reader a couple minutes ago… The Blue Hollow Festival near Monticello… have to talk to Spirit about it!

We have been here a couple days I think and doing not much… great sunsets… a cold snap… some good wind filled with sand to clean my teeth… just mellowing out and taking it all in.

Spend one night on the same site with some friends, a good dinner, some good laughs… I have to say that the company was great… A little ride into Needles… it has been all good.

I am starting to read about others coming to this area… I have the feeling we will meet more friends very soon… It “IS” that time of the year…

Check it all out on the Blog

Be well, always… Ara & Spirit

291883484_85fYg-L.jpg

La Sal Mountain loop, Utah…

I am writing this from Lockhart Pass, Needles area (Lat 38 10 / Long 109 40)… just in case you are in the neighborhood! Away from the campground, not too far from the road where I have already seen a few two wheelers go on probably to do the loop toward Hurray Pass…

But couple days ago we did the “La Sal Mountain loop” and one should not miss the incredible scenery, the fresh air and the nice curvy roads with still a bit of snow on the shoulders, enough to make a snowman for Spirit… or maybe it was a snowwoman?

Met up with many riders coming through Moab including a group of old Indians from Holland! What a Hub it is…

Will be here a while… off the grid.

Enjoy the Blog… come and visit, plenty of room here!

Be well, Ara & Spirit

What a hoot!! I love that pouch! Can you imagine the stories he will tell his pals in his old age! It is kind of tough to beat the kind of adventure you are on…for dog or man!

It has been many many moons since I was on the La Sal Mountain Loop….probably more than 40 years. I recall a few mines, and most of all an old timer living in a genuine log cabin. The interior was black and greasy from his cooking fires, and on an outside wall he had hung a large cooking kettle which had been bitten through by a bear!

I don’t suppose you came across any abandoned log cabins. I have a photo or old 8mm movie around here somewhere of the cabin and the pot.

Yah, Moab is a busy place….a bit more touristy than I prefer…..but the surrounding area is unsurpassed. The ride along the Colorado eastbound is spectacular, even by car, and it must be exhilarating on a cycle.

Dave

294335949_PSZw2-L.jpg

Blu Mtn Fastivel, Monticello, Utah…

A good time is always what you make of it. When we arrived to the Festival after a change of plan as usual, the organizers where really disturbed at the amount of the “no shows” within the vendors… blaming it on fuel prices. $4.29 today by the way in Monticello. My friend Pete was also there and was leaving as we arrived… as, this was not worth even coming too… he said.

We had a great time, we got lost a couple times trying to find the field, we got permission to go back to this old property we had found with “no trespassing” signs… It was just a great day on that front. Missing Family on another front took an impact later on but Spirit and I together we are learning to deal with it… Riding helps… he does too… you do too… it is all good.

Till next time…

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

I guess it is saying I cannot use an image any more?... Bummer... I'll try again...

296610919_g8Ldp-L.jpg

A strong Potash connection! Utah

A frayed clutch cable changed with a smile thanks to some past strong tutorials from Master BMW mechanics who knew that the knowledge of being quite self sufficient would come in handy, as it did. A couple tires changed by a Harley mechanic right along some stories of celebrities he had shared moments with. Another ride on Potash Rd, which with time and traffic has changed to a rougher one exposing itself with its flowers blooming and hues of red constantly changing throughout the moments… The sudden attraction of the Potash and salt mine with its blue dyed waters establishing such a contrast with the landscape… Spirit making it’s home wherever we stop and doing his own exploring… meeting a man named Mike who himself has just rescued another abused dog, an image of Spirit 3 years ago… This is just another day in our Life on the road. Never a dull moment, there is no boredom when one slows down and allows the events to take shape throughout one’s senses. All in the Blog.

Always be well… Ara & Spirit

299300006_dr8Qd-L.jpg

Some great Camping, Utah

Camping is always great in Utah… specially when my favorite spot is unoccupied… A bit short lived because of bad weather today, but we got a great taste of it. You can never go wrong camping in “The Valley of the Gods”.

Full sun, sunsets, sunrise and just about full moon, it was a perfect time. The heat around this area is the only factor that worries me, specially with Spirit, even with always a full bowl of water in front of him and some shade, panting non stop. We definitely spend much more time throughout the year in cold weather versus hot.

So we are back… things will clear up and we can take off again!!!

I have had quite a few readers ask me about our camping gear… so there it is today, on the Blog.

Enjoy and be well…

Ara & Spirit

I have had quite a few readers ask me about our camping gear...

The question had never fully formed but I guess I was thinking it 'cause I did enjoy learning what the serious camper carries. I recognized a name or two but had never heard of Big Agnes sleeping bags. I had to scout them out. I'm not in the market for a bag but if I was, a company that you recommend AND makes a "Horse Thief" model would certainly get heavy consideration.

The question had never fully formed but I guess I was thinking it 'cause I did enjoy learning what the serious camper carries. I recognized a name or two but had never heard of Big Agnes sleeping bags. I had to scout them out. I'm not in the market for a bag but if I was, a company that you recommend AND makes a "Horse Thief" model would certainly get heavy consideration.

The nice thing about Big Agnes is that for one their core pad design is very comfortable! They have found the magic for it... + the sleeping bag itself is only half of one... the pad I have is a 0 degree pad... why would you need to have sleeping bag under you?... which means only takes up 1/2 the room. My bag is a 20 degree bag. Even better is the fact that the pad "slips" in a like "envelope" in the bag so you never roll over! Of course they do stand behind their product... OK... maybe now they can sponsor me!!! You have no idea how much of a beating the gear takes day in and say out... Eventually fabric like the soft pannier, straps, even sprayed with UV coat will fade and become brittle... that is about 365 days a year, I would say 5 to 7 years... I cannot ask for more!!! Every bag by the way, tent included, goes in another waterproof bag! The EXPED bags... opening reversed... never had anything get wet yet...

Anyhow... be well... see you on the road!... dry!!!

Ara & Spirit

I’m thinking the “Valley of the Gods” must be the “Olympian Gardens” of the 1917 Monumental Highway expedition I mentioned to you a month or so ago.

Hopkins used a three wheel motor cycle as well on some of his visits to that area, and there is at least one photo of him on it in Utah archives. But on the 1917 expedition he was driving with Dolph Andrus of Bluff, in a Maxwell. As I recall they came in via Moab, then south through the area you have been in, and south to Tuba City, and west via Marble Canyon (Lees Ferry) and Pipe Springs.

The old road between Bluff and the turn off to the Valley of the Gods is still quite visible, and could be followed for some distance. Did you by chance follow any of the Hopkins route....or is that “old history stuff” even of interest? I have wondered if there is anything left at the original site of the Mexican Hat village, a few miles upstream from the modern site where the bridge is.

Looks like your weather should be cool and maybe even a little wet until Memorial Day.

Cheers!

Dave

I’m thinking the “Valley of the Gods” must be the “Olympian Gardens” of the 1917 Monumental Highway expedition I mentioned to you a month or so ago.

Hopkins used a three wheel motor cycle as well on some of his visits to that area, and there is at least one photo of him on it in Utah archives. But on the 1917 expedition he was driving with Dolph Andrus of Bluff, in a Maxwell. As I recall they came in via Moab, then south through the area you have been in, and south to Tuba City, and west via Marble Canyon (Lees Ferry) and Pipe Springs.

The old road between Bluff and the turn off to the Valley of the Gods is still quite visible, and could be followed for some distance. Did you by chance follow any of the Hopkins route....or is that “old history stuff” even of interest? I have wondered if there is anything left at the original site of the Mexican Hat village, a few miles upstream from the modern site where the bridge is.

Looks like your weather should be cool and maybe even a little wet until Memorial Day.

Cheers!

Dave

Wow... I need to do some serious research on that!... I just got back a few minutes ago from the Valley of the Gods loop!!! Funny... what luxury right now as it is only 25 miles away... "so what did you do tonight?... Oh!... Valley of the Gods!"... It is such a perfect gravel road for the rig and just right to use all three brakes in succession!

Mexican Hat?... yes, motels... the $30 Steak house and a band was playing!!! Will write more about it... Have to find those roads as I still want to also do Butler Wash which will go all the way to 70. Wet right now... back to the electric heated gear tonight!

Later and be well... Ara & Spirit