American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

042108 Eureka Springs & Hot Springs, Ar On The Hypotenuse Trail

This is a much abbreviated post as my motel here in Eureka Springs, Arkansas has some problems making wireless internet work with Vista. I will combine today’s report with tomorrow’s.

But first, thanks for your comments, and I’ll follow Denny’s date em suggestion, starting with this one.

I traveled through Hot Springs and am spending the night in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. American Road did a recent feature on Arkansas hot springs and boy, they were right on…amazing!!

But the stories will wait until tomorrow. I’m using the lobby computer and a line is forming.

Cheers and

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I thought a legacy computer guy like you would have written the date 080421, but no matter, good to hear from you! Too bad you were having Vista issues, but everybody I know who runs Vista has issues. With Vista, that is. Looking forward to hearing from you when you're nearer wireless civilization. jim

I'm guessing that you're passing through Eureka Springs on US-62 and US-62 is, as Michael Wallis would say "a road of my interest". It goes all the way across the country and its even number means east-west but it touches Canada and Mexico rather than Atlantic and Pacific. Like the better known US-66, it does this by angling from northeast (Niagara) to southwest (El Paso). But it does meander a bit and Eureka Springs sits on a section that runs toward the northwest. US-62 was one of the last roads I would have guessed would form part of the Hypotenuse Trail but there it is. Strange but true.

I can't wait to hear what "old road" route you took to get from Hot Springs to Eureka Springs!!!!!!!!!! Should prove interesting.

I'm a tad familiar with that area and the routing must have been a doozy.

Interesting - straight line as the woodpecker flies is about 135 miles - road wise it's closer to 200 or so.

Looking at the maps it jogged my memory - I went thru Eureka Springs back in 1990 on the way from Memphis to Wichita. Took I-40 to Conway, then 65 to 62 thru Eureka Springs and to AR 37 to 60 over to 71. As I recall that section of 62 was a real "eastern" mountain road!!!

Safe traveling.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

It looks suspiciously like the RoadsideAmerica.com folks are picking up tips by trailing American Road Magazine forum members. First they had an item on the new museum where Dave Reese parks his McLaren (or something like that) and now they've posted something about the Gangster Museum of America in Hot Springs just a day after KtSotR passes through town. Coincidence? <_<

I thought a legacy computer guy like you would have written the date 080421, but no matter, good to hear from you! Too bad you were having Vista issues, but everybody I know who runs Vista has issues. With Vista, that is. Looking forward to hearing from you when you're nearer wireless civilization. jim

Jim,

I'm a legacy kind of guy!!

Dave

I can't wait to hear what "old road" route you took to get from Hot Springs to Eureka Springs!!!!!!!!!! Should prove interesting.

I'm a tad familiar with that area and the routing must have been a doozy.

Interesting - straight line as the woodpecker flies is about 135 miles - road wise it's closer to 200 or so.

Looking at the maps it jogged my memory - I went thru Eureka Springs back in 1990 on the way from Memphis to Wichita. Took I-40 to Conway, then 65 to 62 thru Eureka Springs and to AR 37 to 60 over to 71. As I recall that section of 62 was a real "eastern" mountain road!!!

Safe traveling.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

Some of the roads in northwestern Arkansas do remind me of the northeast. I regret I won't have time to produce a map until I get home. I have been busy from wake up to bed time. I am barely getting my "beauty sleep," and I need it! :D

More later!

Dave

Alex,

Some of the roads in northwestern Arkansas do remind me of the northeast. I regret I won't have time to produce a map until I get home. I have been busy from wake up to bed time. I am barely getting my "beauty sleep," and I need it! :D

More later!

Dave

They actually got roads iin nortwestern Arkansas??????????

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Yeah, but are they wearing shoes? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm guessing that you're passing through Eureka Springs on US-62 and US-62 is, as Michael Wallis would say "a road of my interest". It goes all the way across the country and its even number means east-west but it touches Canada and Mexico rather than Atlantic and Pacific. Like the better known US-66, it does this by angling from northeast (Niagara) to southwest (El Paso). But it does meander a bit and Eureka Springs sits on a section that runs toward the northwest. US-62 was one of the last roads I would have guessed would form part of the Hypotenuse Trail but there it is. Strange but true.

Us 52 and 62 are both what I refer to as "cross grain" highways. 52 runs from Charleston SC to the Canadian border in ND. But 52's no Hypotenuse Trail:) Not by a sight:)

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Well, here I go again with another old timer memory post:) When I was living in Memphis, I went out for a day trip into southern Missouri. on the way back, I took a lesser state road south into Arkansas. When I got to the state line I found a dirt road. But it had state road signage:) The only two states I ever knew to have unpaved state roads were Georgia and Arkansas. And Georgia's gotten rid of all of theirs:)

That was back in the early 70's and I quickly came up with a sign that would have been appropriate for that state line.

I AM DALE BUMPERS!

GOVERNOR OF GOVERNORS!

LOOK UPON MY STATE, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!

pavement ends

Well, here I go again with another old timer memory post:) When I was living in Memphis, I went out for a day trip into southern Missouri. on the way back, I took a lesser state road south into Arkansas. When I got to the state line I found a dirt road. But it had state road signage:) The only two states I ever knew to have unpaved state roads were Georgia and Arkansas. And Georgia's gotten rid of all of theirs:)

That was back in the early 70's and I quickly came up with a sign that would have been appropriate for that state line.

I AM DALE BUMPERS!

GOVERNOR OF GOVERNORS!

LOOK UPON MY STATE, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!

pavement ends

You guys are being way too hard on Arkansas! It was one of the most impressive places I visited. The trees were just coming into bloom, and the roads were excellent....except.....here I am critical...they either prefer you stop in the center of the road for pictures, or you not slow down until you get out of state. Whichever it is, they need to add pulloffs....there is way too much to see while you are rolling!

Dave

...pavement ends

I know this is very off topic but there's this picture, you see. :rolleyes:

I been slowly trying to catch up with with the Penny Farthing World Tour blog from the guy (Jeff Summerfield) that Ara Gureghian (the OasisOfMySoul guy) ran across week or so ago. Today's read included what may be the ultimate "pavement ends" picture.

I told Dave about that "cross grain" classification before he started and even gave you credit for the name. I'm not sure he was paying attention, though. :)

I was too payimg attention! :huh: The answer is George Washington! :P

The "Cross Grain" Trail was a close second behind Hypotenuse. It would have been a stronger competitor except it invoked "going against the grain."

Dave

I been slowly trying to catch up with with the Penny Farthing World Tour blog from the guy (Jeff Summerfield) that Ara Gureghian (the OasisOfMySoul guy) ran across week or so ago. Today's read included what may be the ultimate "pavement ends" picture.

I'll have to look through my slide collection. I *think* I can beat that picture:) The road comes out of a tunnel , goes a few feet and stops. A hiking trail continues from the stump. It's the road that was supposed to go along the north side of Fontana Lake in the Smokies, but never was finished.

Denny,

That is only the "end of the road" looking that direction!!!

Dave

I'll have to look through my slide collection. I *think* I can beat that picture:) The road comes out of a tunnel , goes a few feet and stops. A hiking trail continues from the stump. It's the road that was supposed to go along the north side of Fontana Lake in the Smokies, but never was finished.

Ah yes. The infamous "Road to Nowhere". I was by there back in 2006 just a day before meeting you and Susan in Etowah. The pictures I posted in '06 and others from that day do not show the road's end very well. There's a pretty good one, looking out from the tunnel, here. I'm sure the end was once much more dramatic but it now seems almost to fade into the leaves and trees rather than stop. And it really does go several yards beyond the tunnel. The North Carolina Attractions site that I linked to is down (temporarily, I think, as there is a record of a successful cache a few days ago) so this abbreviated version of history is all I can find right now.

Part of what caught my eye in the picture with the penny-farthing was the "road" continuing on. Only the pavement stopped. The road and the traveler kept right on going.