American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Road Celebraton Events

Starfire

Do any of you guys have an inclination to attend any of the Highway celebration events as the annual Route 66 Fun Run? Maybe a better question might be are there any such events elsewhere anyone attends or has attended?

We've been to several throughout the years, mainly Route 66 related. Our next one is in June in Litchfield, IL for the biggie:

http://www.cityoflitchfieldil.com/news/27-5.html

I've had this one on my radar since last July! Still hoping we can make it for all five days we're scheduled to be there.

I'm assuming that, by "Highway celebration events as the annual Route 66 Fun Run", you're thinking of events that celebrate some highway and have a significant automotive element. Events that meet that definition and which I've attended include one each San Bernardino Rendezvous and Woodward Dream Cruise and three Springfield, Illinois, Route 66 Festivals. I've also attended a fair number of car gatherings that had no connection with any particular highway and some highway related celebrations with little or no car culture connection. I've yet to attend the Route 66 Fun Run.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm assuming that, by "Highway celebration events as the annual Route 66 Fun Run", you're thinking of events that celebrate some highway and have a significant automotive element. Events that meet that definition and which I've attended include one each San Bernardino Rendezvous and Woodward Dream Cruise and three Springfield, Illinois, Route 66 Festivals. I've also attended a fair number of car gatherings that had no connection with any particular highway and some highway related celebrations with little or no car culture connection. I've yet to attend the Route 66 Fun Run.

I should have made my question a bit more clear. Being a vintage car nut as well as a two lane highway nut I view the preservation of the old two lanes as being directly related to people touring them. Many "motoring" hobbyist, whether automobile, RV, or motorcyclist have club events which include touring a specific route as a group. The Route 66 Fun Run has taken that idea to a different level in making it a multiple community related thing rather than a club related thing. I see this same concept as being something to save the old roads through a general public awareness.

In a way I was more or less hoping to find some among the participants here having an interest in the partaking of such events. More particularly as one who lives on the OST I would like to develop a public interest in the OST as has developed with Route 66. As some can attest there are many great things to see and do along the OST. Many quite historical in nature others of more modern times.

The OST is rather unique among the old two lane highways as there are still many, many miles of the original alignment remaining in daily use in various parts of the country. I some cases even the original pavement is still in use. It would be a mistake to let this historic resource go by the wayside and I see an annual touring event or events for the public in general along the OST as one way of saving what remains before the Urban Planners and highway engineers make a total mess out of it as has happened with so many of our two lane treasures.

Jim