American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Ot: I Feel The Earth.... Move.... Under My Feet....

roadmaven

As most of you know by now, a 5.4 earthquake was felt throughout the midwest at 5:38am EDT this morning. Check in here to let us know if you felt or heard it & where you live. I had no time to worry about a quake, as I was walking around in my house at 5:40 with a baseball bat trying to greet whoever woke us up trying to open our bedroom door. B)

I'd been up for three minutes when the walls started to shake. It sounded to me like a strong wind gust had blasted through, but I opened up the window in my bedroom and found it to be calm. AFAIK, no damage here. Haven't been outside yet, but I feel comfortable that all will be well.

I suspect that's what woke me up because that is exactly when I first looked at the clock but nothing unusual registered with me. Co-workers have reported feeling some quite noticeable shaking.

My coworker said the same thing, she didn't feel anything, but woke up at that exact time.

We woke up when we heard the bedroom door rattling loudly like someone was shaking it. In a matter of seconds, our thoughts went from assuming it was the cat (who has rattled the door that way when she wants to come in) to realizing that she is locked in a room and couldn't be doing that (bladder / behavioral issues...different story!), to then thinking it was an intruder trying to get into the bedroom.

Until Pat turned on the radio and heard the news a minute later, I assumed it was a plane. They sometimes get loud and have rumbled the house - we don't live too far from the airport.

Several of my coworkers felt aftershocks about 11:15 this morning, I didn't though. Weird!

Several of my coworkers felt aftershocks about 11:15 this morning, I didn't though. Weird!

The quake awakened both me and my wife, and somehow I immediately knew it was an earthquake even though it had been 20 years since I had felt one. But both of our boys (age 9 and 11) woke up from it too and were worried about the noises, so we didn't get to go back to sleep.

I also got to enjoy the aftershock at 11:15.

Chris

As most of you know by now, a 5.4 earthquake was felt throughout the midwest at 5:38am EDT this morning. Check in here to let us know if you felt or heard it & where you live. I had no time to worry about a quake, as I was walking around in my house at 5:40 with a baseball bat trying to greet whoever woke us up trying to open our bedroom door. B)

The house shook a little but no damage was done....Bliss

Some of you guys must not be old enough to remember Quakes were fairly common in the general area in the late 1940s into the early 1950s. Of course there was the BIG ONE which created Reel Foot Lake in Tennessee circa 1812.

Boy that was a shock. I was up at 5am to go to CE classes, and felt it too. I'm in Maysville, KY. I too thought at first it was a strong wind, but when the house bounced up and down like a jackhammer was hitting it, then that rumble I knew what it was. I went though the one about 20 years ago where the building I was in *swayed*. I didn't feel the 1980 Sharpsburg quake as I was in a car then.

Funny also didn't feel the aftershock either even though I was in a building in Lexington, KY then.

Just a bit of fun here :)

No damage, and hey Babyboomerbob, you missed out on the fun! :)

- Kc

• 2 weeks later...

Slept right through it, but, we live right by the Wisconsin line.

We were in Springfield, Illinois, this past weekend and everyone we talked to there felt it. One guy thought someone was breaking into his house and had the old baseball bat in hand.

Music to Shake, Rattle and Roll By.

The Springfield State Journal Register had a neat article called "Tunes for Temblors."

Some suggestions:

AC/DC- "You Shook Me All Night Long"

Beatles- "Twist & Shout"

Cars-

Bill Haley & the Comets-- 2 songs

Carol King--

John Mellancamp-

Elvis--

Queen--

Stevie Ray Vaughan--

REM--

Stray Cats--

Can You Guess These?

Music to Shake, Rattle and Roll By.

The Springfield State Journal Register had a neat article called "Tunes for Temblors."

Some suggestions:

AC/DC- "You Shook Me All Night Long"

Beatles- "Twist & Shout"

Cars-

Bill Haley & the Comets-- 2 songs

Carol King--

John Mellancamp-

Elvis--

Queen--

Stevie Ray Vaughan--

REM--

Stray Cats--

Can You Guess These?

Guessing on a few of them:

Cars - Shake It Up

Bill Haley and His Comets - Shake, Rattle and Roll and (We're Gonna) Rock around the Clock

Carole King - I Feel the Earth Move

John Mellencamp - R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.

Elvis Presley - All Shook Up

Stray Cats - Rock This Town

I would add Harry Belafonte's "Shake, Shake, Senora," the Swinging Blue Jeans' "Hippy Hippy Shake," Sam Cooke's "Shake" and James and Bobby Purify's "Shake a Tail Feather."