American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Great "new" Way To Show Photos

Jennifer inspired me to try geotagging photos. My objective is to place photos on a map as I “blaze the Hypotenuse” the next couple of weeks. I have now mastered the processes of GPS tracking and can automatically batch geotag to the EXIF of all my photo files.

I think I have perhaps overcome one of my frustrations with photo viewing on the forum. I see your great photos and read your great descriptions, but unless I have been to the area, I am “geographically impaired.” I don’t have a link in my mind between the location of the photo and the specific area. I’m assuming I’m not the only one who struggles with exactly where a photo was taken.

With my new found capabilities I can show a photo and its location on a map on your computer. I took a couple of quick shots today and I would appreciate your feedback as to how the results work for you. If they are successful, I will use the process on the Hypotenuse trip

If you click on the link below you should be taken to the Panoramio site, where I have posted two pictures taken today.

If you click the “on the map” link you should see the photos in their geographic locations, and you may choose the kind of map (road, satellite) you prefer for viewing. You may also see photos taken by others of the same area.

If you have Google Earth installed, and click instead on “in Google Earth (KLM)” link Google Earth will come up with the photos (and perhaps those of others taken in the same area).

BTW, Joes Place is a great little bar in Bucoda, Washington, about 25 milkes from where I live, that has been in the same family since 1898! The great great nephew of the original owner was reading the paper at the counter, and the great great daughter in law made my cheeseburger.

The Tenino Quarryman shot is on the old Pacific Highway (US99) and Joe’s sits across from the railroad on state 507, which was a shortcut for those driving 99 between Centralia and Olympia in the old days. It is the road I always take going south to avoid the interstate.

http://www.panoramio.com/user/1604159

I would appreciate your feedback as to whether this works for you. (I have noted that sometimes the satelite view is buggy. If so, use the Map choice.)

Keep the Show on the Road!

It all works for me. Including Google Earth. If only each photo indicated how far it was from the Hypotenuse, it would be perfect.

P.S., I'm writing this in a bar in Covington, Ohio, where several groups of well dressed younguns have just entered. I overheard one say that they're between wedding interceptions. Best idea I've heard in a long time.

It all works for me. Including Google Earth. If only each photo indicated how far it was from the Hypotenuse, it would be perfect.

P.S., I'm writing this in a bar in Covington, Ohio, where several groups of well dressed younguns have just entered. I overheard one say that they're between wedding interceptions. Best idea I've heard in a long time.

Denny,

Thanks for the much appreciated feedback!

I’m thinking anyone could take a virtual tour along the Hypotenuse if I take shots every so often, and not always just of unique or photogenic sites.

I haven’t been to a wedding “interception” for some time, but it isn’t helpful if it happens after the ceremony!!

And speaking of bars, Joe’s Place is a classic old time roadside stop. State 507 is an old short cut for US99. Frankly, I have no idea why anyone drove 99 between Centralia and Olympia when SR 507 cut miles off the distance…and they could stop at Joe’s.

Keep the beer cold…(drive sober!)..and

Dave

ARJoesPlaceFront.jpg

ARJoesPlaceDoors.jpg

ARJoesPlaceBar.jpg

I would appreciate your feedback as to whether this works for you. (I have noted that sometimes the satelite view is buggy. If so, use the Map choice.)

It looked good to me! I know that Flickr and Picasa also can show pictures in a map view, but it's not quite as nice as the side-by-side of the photo and the location.

Chris

Looks like a good idea to me, Dave. Anyone with a GPS device gets an idea what the location looks like. You ever Geocache? Seems like it might help in that pursuit. Jennifer Bremer does....remember her Indiana 92 post at the end of last year? She was going to try and find a cache each county in like six months? I need to ask her if she met her goal. And hey, completing your Hypetonuse Trail in 14 days is a heck of a pursuit, too. Best of luck to you.....AND HAVE FUN!!!!!

Matt Smallwood

Looks like a good idea to me, Dave. Anyone with a GPS device gets an idea what the location looks like. You ever Geocache? Seems like it might help in that pursuit. Jennifer Bremer does....remember her Indiana 92 post at the end of last year? She was going to try and find a cache each county in like six months? I need to ask her if she met her goal. And hey, completing your Hypetonuse Trail in 14 days is a heck of a pursuit, too. Best of luck to you.....AND HAVE FUN!!!!!

Matt Smallwood

Matt,

Thanks for the comment!

Jennifer was the “inspiration” for the geotagging. She and Denny were exchanging thoughts and got me interested.

And geotagging is more than a way to allow photos to be easily displayed on maps. It provides the answer two months or 25 years after the trip to the question “Where in the heck did I take that picture?!” I probably have hundreds, perhaps thousands, of photos taken over the past 50 years that fit that category.

I don’t think it will be too long before the GPS will be built into consumer grade digital cameras. A few pro models already have the capability.

I’m not a geocaching guy, but having a good GPS that will follow a predetermined route is important on this trip because the route makes lots of turns to stay on the less traveled roads.

Well, I have to pack, so I’m off.

Dave

It does look like a really neat place. But before I can get really excited I'd have to know whether the chowder was Boston or New England.......... :D

It does look like a really neat place. But before I can get really excited I'd have to know whether the chowder was Boston or New England.......... :D

Starfire,

I noticed the clam chowder sign! It isn’t what I would eat in a bar!

This place is right out of Mayberry…if Mayberry had a bar. The whole scene was classic. When I came in, there was a fellow sitting on the bench outside, watching the world go by. The great great grand daughter in law was behind the counter, and the great great grand nephew was reading the paper at the counter.

As she is making my burger, the fellow outside comes in and asks her why his rice in his “rice and chicken” in his crockpot at home isn’t getting softer, since it has been cooking all night. She asks how long he has had the rice, and he says "a few years" but he didn't know rice gets old.

This dialog goes on for a few minutes, and I break in and say “I note that the sign outside is blue now. It used to be red.” The guy says, “I painted the building pink.” The GGG daughter in law immediately replies in an emphatic tone…”No you painted it red, and the paint faded!” He shuts up, and I get my burger.

This is the perfect small town dialog. It should have been recorded for posterity. Wonderful, down home people! I hope Joe’s Place survives in the same family for another 110 years!

Jim, thanks for the comeback, and

Dave