American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

The Oyate Trail In South Dakota

Here's one I'm guessing not a lot of people have heard of.

South Dakota's "Oyate Trail" follows the southernmost route east to west across the state. It passes through a bunch of very scenic and historic spots, a lot of them having to do with Native American history.

The trail mainly is comprised of South Dakota Highways 50 and 18, with a few little connector routes. North Sioux City and Edgemont are the Oyate Trail ending points.

Official information can be found at www.oyatetrail.com and I just posted suggestions for photographers following the trail with pictures on my blog at www.dakotagraph.blogspot.com.

Chad

Never heard of this trail until now either. Looks like it would make one heck of a fun excursion.

Too many neat trips to make........ Too little time to make them....... Darn!

Thanks guys. We have several very cool roads here in South Dakota. I want to get a post for my blog worked up on the Native American Scenic Byway, which travels north-south on both sides of the Missouri River through South Dakota. We've got a blizzard rolling in this afternoon, though, so I'm going to have to wait a week or so for things to get green around here. :P