American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Is Steel Truss Bridge On Us 30 In Wyoming Open?

In blazing the Hypotenuse Trail next week, I want to take the section of the Lincoln/ US30 going through Medicine Bow, Wyoming. The rule for the Hypotenuse (“Key West to the Puget Sound…the Best Route is Along the Hypotenuse” ;) ) is to stay off the interstates at all costs.

The dilemma is that I don’t know if the old steel truss bridge across the North Platte River at 41.751857, -106.948743, between Sinclar and Walcot, WY is open to auto traffic. If it is not, I would be forced onto the I-80 interstate bridge, a definite “It ain’t going to happen!” for this trip. If I can’t get across the North Platt on the steel truss, I will head north from Medicine Bow. I need to know before I get there, or risk a huge backtrack.

I am following Brian Butko’s terrific Greetings from the Lincoln Highway for this section, but Brian appears to view the steel truss from the interstate, which worries me.

I have tried to reach the folks at Fort Steel nearby, but have not yet gotten a reply…so are the Lincoln Highway pros here able to help?

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the old highway may be but that a part of the road leading to it from the east is buried under I-80.

That "Old Highway", as it is marked, does look like it doesn't see much traffic. Would you have to take that big loop northward by the railroad tracks when heading west from Walcott?

Chris

That "Old Highway", as it is marked, does look like it doesn't see much traffic. Would you have to take that big loop northward by the railroad tracks when heading west from Walcott?

Chris

That’s what I’m thinking. If I get a call or e-mail from the Fort Steel people, I’ll confirm that the road goes through to Sinclair (used to be Parco, or something like that). I haven’t done the research to support my hunch yet, but I’m thinking that the early Lincoln maybe went along the tracks after crossing the North Platte near the Fort Steel site. I’ll study it tonight.

I have temporarily misplaced my 1924 Lincoln Highway guide (repro). I have an original 1916 but I don’t use it for reference, except in a crisis. It is one of only a couple of guides I don’t often open to read. I just rub the leather-like cover and hum, and occasionally run my fingers over the map. But I also have a reproduction….somewhere.

All this trip planning is still like taking a big drink from a fire hose….so many opportunities, and I’m almost out of time for study. Pretty soon I have to cut loose from the dock and see where the river takes me.

I have been filling my mp3 with Blues, Ozark banjo pieces, road songs, 50’s golden oldies, and cowboy songs. With a little luck I’ll have some sunshine, fold back the ragtop, and get an old fashioned road high. All of course in the interest of charting the Hypotenuse!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

If I get a call or e-mail from the Fort Steel people, I’ll confirm that the road goes through to Sinclair (used to be Parco, or something like that). I haven’t done the research to support my hunch yet, but I’m thinking that the early Lincoln maybe went along the tracks after crossing the North Platte near the Fort Steel site.

My recollection is that the bridge is drivable but the road between towns is only for off-road vehicles.

Yes the Lincoln went through the middle of Sinclair - you'll enjoy the visit - heavy industry on the edge and a [worn] oasis at the center.

The road meandered a lot in Wyoming, and at the N. Platte it made its way up close to the railroad crossing, actually just north of it. That's why when Alice Ramsey and others found the bridge out, the train trestle was convenient.

So - driving the original route here is impossible (unless you want to hop on the rails!) and even the 1931 route may be impassable. Hope the Fort Steele folks can tell you if they would take the old road to Walcott! If you have to hop on the Interstate for a few miles, technically you'll be on US 30 AND often be atop the old roadbed....

BB

www.brianbutko.com

www.lincolnhighwaynews.com

Brian,

Thanks for the expert, and first hand advice!

I know that the rail line was often the best road of the time, but I’m thinking the rental car people will frown on me doing that today! :D

I have been using your great book as a guide, and I kind of suspected that if the route between Walcott and Sinclair was drivable you would have been on it.

Chris, Mobilene,

I looked at the 1924 guide and it only noted the towns, not the exact routing. I guess it was so clear on the ground by that time, details were unnecessary. The 1918 ABB gives more detail and leads me to conclude that the Lincoln of the period, after leaving Rawlings eastbound, followed the south side of the rail line of the time, crossed to the north side at Ft Steel and crossed a bridge over the Platte within 2/10 miles of Ft Steel.

It is amazing how quickly I start to study the old alignments. Now I want to see if I can find the evidence of the bridge crossing at Ft Steel. However, if I can’t make it through to Sinclair without driving on the interstate, I think I may detour south to Saratoga, then west and back to Rawlings, missing the fort.

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave