American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Iowa's Lincoln Highway

Can anyone provide me with turn-by-turn directions across Iowa on the Lincoln going east to west to Omaha or point me to a site that has this info? I'm thinking of entering the Lincoln at the IL/IO border and following as much of the old road as possible, stopping at great photo ops and points of interest.

We may do this next month if the weather and schedules permit. Thanks......Bliss

Can anyone provide me with turn-by-turn directions across Iowa on the Lincoln...

Hmmmmm. Guess that's not the easy task it sounded like. There is an Iowa Lincoln Highway website but it's rather short on information. It is actually a sub-directory of the national site even though it claims the be "the longest running Lincoln Highway state website". There must be more to that story. I'm guessing you were there and probably recognized the name of Iowa's state director. Not too long ago, Jeff LaFollette was president of the Illinois Route 66 Association. The Lincoln doesn't seem to be mentioned on either the national or Iowa byways sites. (From another post I gather you've been there, too.)

By coincidence, I just finished Gregory Franzwa's Iowa Lincoln Highway book (it's volume 1). It tracks the road through the state in great detail and has some fabulous maps but nothing that could quite be called "turn-by-turn". Likewise, Brian Butko's "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway" could be used to navigate through the state but there is no concise set of "turn-by-turn" directions. A possible silver lining is that Brian shows four generations of LH across the state so I'm guessing that, if you drive from Clinton through Denison to Council Bluffs, you'll probably be on some LH alignment much of the time :) . Before someone asks, I'll mention that, while Michael Wallis' recent LH book could be used to generally follow the highway, its forte is not guidance. It'll sure make you want to go, though.

I'd be happy to try to sort out specific questions with what I have (I also have a copy of the reprint of the 1924 guide) but am afraid I can't come up with a set of "turn-by-turn"s. Sure you don't want to do the Ohio section? Got turns for that :D

As usual, Denny gives the best advice!

I wonder if the new CD based map I recall the Lincoln Highway Association has produced would help. It requires Delorme's Street Atlas software.

It would be hard to beat Brian Butko’s book or Gregory Franzwa’s.. You can buy Brian’s book at the American Road store site here.

If you really want the vintage turn by turn, I might be able to help with period ABB's, but that is overkill for most travelers.

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

Hmmmmm. Guess that's not the easy task it sounded like. There is an Iowa Lincoln Highway website but it's rather short on information. It is actually a sub-directory of the national site even though it claims the be "the longest running Lincoln Highway state website". There must be more to that story. I'm guessing you were there and probably recognized the name of Iowa's state director. Not too long ago, Jeff LaFollette was president of the Illinois Route 66 Association. The Lincoln doesn't seem to be mentioned on either the national or Iowa byways sites. (From another post I gather you've been there, too.)

By coincidence, I just finished Gregory Franzwa's Iowa Lincoln Highway book (it's volume 1). It tracks the road through the state in great detail and has some fabulous maps but nothing that could quite be called "turn-by-turn". Likewise, Brian Butko's "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway" could be used to navigate through the state but there is no concise set of "turn-by-turn" directions. A possible silver lining is that Brian shows four generations of LH across the state so I'm guessing that, if you drive from Clinton through Denison to Council Bluffs, you'll probably be on some LH alignment much of the time :) . Before someone asks, I'll mention that, while Michael Wallis' recent LH book could be used to generally follow the highway, its forte is not guidance. It'll sure make you want to go, though.

I'd be happy to try to sort out specific questions with what I have (I also have a copy of the reprint of the 1924 guide) but am afraid I can't come up with a set of "turn-by-turn"s. Sure you don't want to do the Ohio section? Got turns for that :D

I went to the official Iowa Lincoln Highway site today and downloaded a registration form for their first-ever motor tour ("River to River") to be held in August. While we don't particularly relish cruisin' Iowa in August, it's not any different than IL, MO, IN, or OH as far as hot weather is concerned. The motor tour appears to be well organized and will give us the necessary guidance for our initial Lincoln cruise; so we're going. Why not join us?. (Here's the site.)....Bliss

http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/iowa/tour/motortour.html

I went to the official Iowa Lincoln Highway site today and downloaded a registration form for their first-ever motor tour ("River to River") to be held in August. While we don't particularly relish cruisin' Iowa in August, it's not any different than IL, MO, IN, or OH as far as hot weather is concerned. The motor tour appears to be well organized and will give us the necessary guidance for our initial Lincoln cruise; so we're going. Why not join us?. (Here's the site.)....Bliss

I saw that and it does sound promising. I even did a quick route check but found it would take me two days each way just to connect with the tour. That turns it into a major outing and one that I'll just have to read about this year.

Can anyone provide me with turn-by-turn directions across Iowa on the Lincoln going east to west to Omaha or point me to a site that has this info? I'm thinking of entering the Lincoln at the IL/IO border and following as much of the old road as possible, stopping at great photo ops and points of interest.

We may do this next month if the weather and schedules permit. Thanks......Bliss

I took a trip most of the way last weekend. The Iowa Geograhic Map Server was a very helpful resource for this. (Think Google Earth 1930's...

http://ortho.gis.iastate.edu/client.cgi?zo...amp;pheight=450

Cedar County seems to be absent from the 1930's layer, but the 1960's layer will help you find a neat old alignment West of Lowden that you will have to hike on foot to get to.... Take Highway 6 on way back!

post-4311-1207881993_thumb.jpg

I took a trip most of the way last weekend. The Iowa Geograhic Map Server was a very helpful resource for this. (Think Google Earth 1930's...

http://ortho.gis.iastate.edu/client.cgi?zo...amp;pheight=450

Cedar County seems to be absent from the 1930's layer, but the 1960's layer will help you find a neat old alignment West of Lowden that you will have to hike on foot to get to.... Take Highway 6 on way back!

Thanks for the info. We're registered for the August "River to River" motor tour on the LH and are looking forward to visiting IA and seeing new stuff....Bliss

I may have to talk with those LHA guys about that whole "River to River" thing. (Wink). The original route of US Route 6 through Iowa was mostly based on the "River to River Road", quite possibly Iowa's oldest auto trail. Altho not registered until a few years after the Lincoln Highway and the "Great White Way" (White Pole Road), it was first promoted in 1910, and existed back in the 1800's (apparently under the "River to River Road" name) as a stage road.

http://public.fotki.com/DWDarby/two_lane_highways/

Edited by Dave Darby

• 3 months later...
When we went across Iowa, we used Brian Butko's book which was very helpful and made the trip very enjoyable.

Can hardly believe that we're leaving STL a week from this Wednesday and heading up U.S. 61 part way to Clinton, IA for the August 8th start of the first annual LHA motor tour across the state. Really looking forward to this new adventure, a guided tour of the LH on alignments we probably would not have found by ourselves. It's advertised as being "old car friendly," using paved roads only and that suits me just dandy. I'm currently planning on taking our '04 Monte because it's one of my favorite rides of all time but if Mary Sue decides not to go along for whatever reason I'll leave her the '04 and drive the '77 Monte instead; needs road miles anyway. Taking it to the local shop tomorrow for new oil and tire rotation JIC.

Haven't been this excited about a road trip since our first crossing of 66. Wish I had Denny's skill and patience in creating a trip summary but anymore it's about all I can do just to make the cruise....Bliss

Can hardly believe that we're leaving STL a week from this Wednesday and heading up U.S. 61 part way to Clinton, IA for the August 8th start of the first annual LHA motor tour across the state. Really looking forward to this new adventure, a guided tour of the LH on alignments we probably would not have found by ourselves. It's advertised as being "old car friendly," using paved roads only and that suits me just dandy. I'm currently planning on taking our '04 Monte because it's one of my favorite rides of all time but if Mary Sue decides not to go along for whatever reason I'll leave her the '04 and drive the '77 Monte instead; needs road miles anyway. Taking it to the local shop tomorrow for new oil and tire rotation JIC.

Haven't been this excited about a road trip since our first crossing of 66. Wish I had Denny's skill and patience in creating a trip summary but anymore it's about all I can do just to make the cruise....Bliss

When a guy sounds like a teenager on his first big solo road trip....it has got to be fine!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Can hardly believe that we're leaving STL a week from this Wednesday and heading up U.S. 61 part way to Clinton, IA for the August 8th start of the first annual LHA motor tour across the state.

Yep. This sounds like a really good tour. I know Jeff LaFollette is somehow associated with it and, although I've never met him, I've heard good things about him from his Route 66 days. A very promising outing in a state with some serious LH heritage to spotlight. Looking forward to your views on the cruise.