American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Memphis Short Trip

A few days ago I decided, before the waters receeded, to take a short jaunt around the Memphis area and get some pictures of the flooded areas. So far no one has been flooded out in Memphis, tho the people that live in the bottoms over in West Memphis on the edge of Ole Missy over have moved their trailers up to higher ground on an access road next to I-40 - and even that is getting close to being flooded.

In actuality this little jaunt turned into a mini-road trip which I have put on my yankeetraveller web site @ http://www.freewebs.com/yankeetraveller/index.htm - click on Memphis Short Trips. Not only are there some interesting flood shots along Mud Island and along the old US 70 alignment, but an interesting motel I found on East Broadway in West (around here we call it "Left") Memphis.

Enjoy.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Looks like you've got enough water for awhile.

Somebody doesn't think so, Denny - more rain to come. :o And the snow pack up north really hasn't started to melt yet.

And, as an aside, that's the 2nd motel I've found in this area that originally had garages attached. The other was on the west side of Brinkley - the Cottage Inn. Some of the units are still standing, but it is no longer a motel. Or anything else for that matter. Wonder how many others are around here.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Really neat stuff Alex. Brought back some memories of my being stationed with the Marine Corps Detachment at the Naval Air Station in Millington in the 1960's. I even recall having seen the motel in West Memphis.

The flood waters reminded me of mammoth flooding along the Mississippi in the 1950's when tens of thousands, if not millions, of acres of land and many towns were flooded for weeks and weeks from weather occurrences not too unlike those experienced on the upper watershed this year. To put it in perspective I recall seeing flood waters lapping at the shoulders of U.S. 67 South of St. Louis on a section of highway built up at least 30 feet, maybe more, above the normal level of the Mississippi. A bit scary to say the least when one thinks about only a couple of feet are between you and your car and being in 30 or more feet of moving water.

Really neat stuff Alex. Brought back some memories of my being stationed with the Marine Corps Detachment at the Naval Air Station in Millington in the 1960's. I even recall having seen the motel in West Memphis.

Starfire - I went to AD "A" school at Millington in 1956. One of the reasons my oldest daughter is from here. I met her Mama here in Memphis. Thought, at the time, Memphis wouldn't be to bad a place to settle down after I got out of the Navy.

Here it is 50 years later, #1 marriage didn't work (#2 lasted 43 years), daughter lives in Memphis and I finally made it back.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN