American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

California State Route 84--newest Scenic Highway

After 12 years of effort, a 7.1 mile section of Cal-84 along Niles Canyon Road between Mission Blvd. and I-680 has become a California Scenic Highway. An April 15th ceremony will be held to dedicate it in Sunol across from the historic railroad station.

Part of the original transcontinental Railroad runs along the route as well. This well-preserved section is operated by the Pacific Locomotive Association to run their Niles Canyon Railway between Sunol and Niles.

There are not many scenic highways in the Bay Area. One is State Route 24 east of Caldecott Tunnel to I-680, and two others are along stretches of I-680. It would seem that this I-680 must be quite an accomplishment in construction.

After 12 years of effort, a 7.1 mile section of Cal-84 along Niles Canyon Road between Mission Blvd. and I-680 has become a California Scenic Highway. An April 15th ceremony will be held to dedicate it in Sunol across from the historic railroad station.

Part of the original transcontinental Railroad runs along the route as well. This well-preserved section is operated by the Pacific Locomotive Association to run their Niles Canyon Railway between Sunol and Niles.

There are not many scenic highways in the Bay Area. One is State Route 24 east of Caldecott Tunnel to I-680, and two others are along stretches of I-680. It would seem that this I-680 must be quite an accomplishment in construction.

I-680 is just another highway, nothing particularly spectacular in its construction. I should know since I had the opportunity to examine much of it while stuck in commute traffic when I commuted into the Silicon Valley. It was built in the late 60's as growth in the San Ramon Valley started to demand more than 2 lane roadways. This time of year it's a pleasant drive with plenty green hills to look at.

Niles Canyon on the other hand is a rather spectacular drive for an urban area, especially this time of year when the poppies and wildflowers are in bloom.

Roadhound