American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Really Great National Road Guidebook

RoadDog

I'm in North Carolina right now and next week will be driving on the National Road across a lot of Ohio.

I stopped at the I-70 Ohio Welcome Center on my way here and was aamazed at the Ohio Tourist Guide to the National Road. This should serve as the bellweather for state guides to any historic road.

Gonna see some S bridges.

That guide really is a nice piece of work. Glad you like it. It debuted just over two years ago at the National Road Bicentennial party at the museum near Zanesville. Besides being available at various places along the road, it can be requested by mail here. My tax dollars at work :D

What sections of Ohio's NR will you be traveling? I'm guessing it will be during the week but if it's the western bits and it happens to be on a weekend, maybe we can connect. If not, stop by Bunkers in Vandalia for some NTN and tell Matt I said "Hi".

And don't forget we have a "Y" to go with those "S"es.

• 2 weeks later...
What sections of Ohio's NR will you be traveling? I'm guessing it will be during the week but if it's the western bits and it happens to be on a weekend, maybe we can connect. If not, stop by Bunkers in Vandalia for some NTN and tell Matt I said "Hi".

And don't forget we have a "Y" to go with those "S"es.

Drove from Cambridge to Vandalia, except through Columbus.

Wasn't sure about the "Y", but now know. I went to the overlook park to view the "Y" Bridge in Zanesville after driving over it. Wouldn't you know that the battery in the camera would die at that moment. Had to go to Wal Mart to get new lithium. Pretty expensive stuff.

The impressive courthouse in Zanesville reminded me a lot of the one in Pontiac, Illinois.

Definitely liked Bunkers, but Matt wasn't there and the bartender didn't know who he was. Great NTN place. Also stopped at the BW3 in downtown Springfield, while looking at the historic buildings. I didn't even know Ohio had a Springfield.

I'll definitely do this stretch again.

That is a pretty good stretch. Besides the "Y" bridge, there are a couple of "S" bridges, Ohio's Madonna of the Trail, at least one very nice brick section, and, for your next pass, the National Road Museum at Norwich and the Pennsylvania House in Springfield. If, as I'm guessing, you took I-75 at Vandalia, you missed the Dixie Highway East & National Road "Crossroads of America" by about half a mile but you did drive over one of the "dam dents" created in response to the 1913 flood.

Matt's family (actually his parents, I think) own Bunker's and either he or his sister (whose name I still can't remember) are usually there when I stop. Almost always on a Saturday. Seems odd that a bartender wouldn't know him but maybe my weekend only visits give me a very narrow view of the place. Glad you liked it.

BTW, Springfield, Ohio, was home of the Buffalo-Springfield Roller Company from which a certain 1960's rock group took their name. Neil Young - National Road: well under six degrees of separation.

I liked the "Spring Box" as well. Kind of makes the travel regular. I imagine people dipped items into it to get the water.

I had to wait about 5-10 minutes to cross the dam area at Vandalia because of a one lane.

I am a BIG Buffalo Springfield fan. I didn't know that. Probably passed the old building if it is still standing and downtown as I had to drive around awhile to find a "free" parking space when I went to the BW3.

Greta food at Clark's in Jacksontown. Chicken and pies.