American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

California Dreamin' - Please Help An English Couple See The Sights In July 08

prbharris

We are planning a trip in California. Last time we traveled up the West Coast by train - this time we are traveling by car.

We are looking for interesting diners [especially the older, unusual, Mom and Pop style] and road related sites [and any other oddities] on the following trips:

Anaheim to San Diego [mid week]

San Diego - Santa Monika [saturday]

Santa Monika to Tehichapi Pass and return [mid week]

Santa Barbara to Windsor [sonoma County] [Friday]- 300 miles so not much time for sight seeing, I guess - but we would like to go north up the Peninsula and across the Golden Gate Bridge, rather than go via Oakland

Your thoughts would be appreciated as we plan this vacation.

Peter

Peter Harris

Nottinghamshire

UK

We are planning a trip in California. Last time we traveled up the West Coast by train - this time we are traveling by car.

We are looking for interesting diners [especially the older, unusual, Mom and Pop style] and road related sites [and any other oddities] on the following trips:

Anaheim to San Diego [mid week]

San Diego - Santa Monika [saturday]

Santa Monika to Tehichapi Pass and return [mid week]

Santa Barbara to Windsor [sonoma County] [Friday]- 300 miles so not much time for sight seeing, I guess - but we would like to go north up the Peninsula and across the Golden Gate Bridge, rather than go via Oakland

Your thoughts would be appreciated as we plan this vacation.

Peter

Peter Harris

Nottinghamshire

UK

Peter,

Welcome in advance to the Golden State!

I can't help much with diners as I have two teenage kids and fast food is typically where we end up dining. The only things I know about Southern California are the air museum's and there are some good ones in San Diego and Chino.

I couple of suggestions I would have is when you are in the Tehachapis stop at the Tehachapi Loop. Its about 7 miles west of the town of Tehachapi and it is classified as one of the 7 railroading wonders of the world. A train passes through approximately every 45-60 minutes and it is impressive to see the train pass over itself as it makes its way up or down the pass.

On your trip northward from Santa Barbara you have 2 options. You can stay on 101 and follow the El Camino Real. This was the route of the Spanish Missionaries that founded California. The road passes a number of Spanish era missions with (in my opinion) Mission San Antonio de Padua worthy of a stop. It is located on an Army base so be prepared to show ID at the gate. Being on an Army base has kept it preserved as it would have been back in the late 1700's. 101 will also take you north through the Salinas Valley, which is an area that John Steinbeck based many of his stories, before reaching the Bay Area. The John Steinbeck museum is located in Salinas. North of Salinas you could cut over to Santa Cruz and follow highway 1 up the coast to the Golden Gate Bridge, which would avoid much of the Bay Area congestion.

Another alternative north of Santa Barbara is to follow CA 1 all the way up. This would be by far the most scenic of routes but be advised that it could be slow going as you wind in and around the mountains of Big Sur. Before Big Sur be sure to stop in San Simeon at the Hearst Castle and take a tour, its amazing what money can buy. The coast between San Simeon and Carmel is very rugged and would require most of a full day to drive through. Carmel, Monterey, and Santa Cruz are all worth spending some money, er, time in. From there continuing up 1 is the most scenic, unless you've tired of seeing the ocean.

Hope this helps get you started. Any other info or clarification you need to hesitate to ask. There is one caveat to recieving this info...you have to share your trip with the rest of us. :D

Roadhound, Native Californian

Peter,

Roadhound gave some excellent advice!

If you are traveling along US101 on your San Diego leg, stop at the 101 Cafe in Oceanside. They had great burgers that last time I was there, and lots of 60's ambiance. Check out their website as well. The place has been around forever, and it is a true classic

http://www.101cafe.net/us_highway_101/us_highway-101.htm

Their website has some links of interest, as well as the story of the cafe. I'd say its a "dont miss it"

And like Roadhound says, the price of admission here is that you share your adventures with us.

Maybe I should add that I have lots of California road related material from 1906-1950, mostly maps and tour books, so if you need something scanned let me know.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Peter

I have been thinking how I might advise you. I lived in Southern California many years, in fact I was born there.

On your Anaheim to San Diego trip, hit the coast at Oceanside and follow old 101 to San Diego, or at least as far as La Jolla. There still are a few glimpses of the 1940-60 beach town life complete with surfers, etc. (my son surfed for years at Carlsbad). I-5 is just a blur.

If I were in San Diego a few days, I’d head east one day to the Anza Borrego desert. It is true American desert countryside. Some of the small towns along the way would certainly qualify with mom and pop diners.

I have been over the Tehachapi several times but never on a round trip from Santa Monica! The old roads north out of the LA basin are more interesting than the freeway, but if this is a one day trip to see the Tehachapi loops, you will probably need to make haste. There is a nice stretch of the old highway near Tehachapi Pass that you can follow through traditional 1920-30 California landscapes. If you are not wed to the freeway, let us know and I will try to offer some possible alternatives.

If you are planning to go between Santa Barbara and Sonoma County in one day, you really have no choice other than modern US 101. Not to spoil the anticipation, but I would dread driving through the Bay Area at peak traffic time. If I had to do it, I think I would target maybe arriving in San Jose about 7PM and driving through SF about 8PM. It will still be light and past peak traffic. ROADHOUND, ANY ADVICE HERE? (I try to hit the Bay Area between 11 AM and 2PM.)

More advice if you want it…..

Dave

Peter

If you are planning to go between Santa Barbara and Sonoma County in one day, you really have no choice other than modern US 101. Not to spoil the anticipation, but I would dread driving through the Bay Area at peak traffic time. If I had to do it, I think I would target maybe arriving in San Jose about 7PM and driving through SF about 8PM. It will still be light and past peak traffic. ROADHOUND, ANY ADVICE HERE? (I try to hit the Bay Area between 11 AM and 2PM.)

More advice if you want it…..

Dave

Avoid 101 through the Bay Area during commute hours if at all possible. You would be going reverse commute between Gilroy and San Jose but north of that expect stop and go traffic through to San Francisco. Another option on the peninsula is I-280. It's not a bad drive for an Interstate. Like I said in my earlier post, CA-1 along the San Mateo coastline is an alternative that bypasses the peninsula traffic and takes you right to the GG bridge. I do feel that you will have regrets covering all 300 miles in a single day but it will give you a reason to come back.

Roadhound

I do feel that you will have regrets covering all 300 miles in a single day but it will give you a reason to come back.

Thank you for all of these tips. We will pore the maps over the weekend and come back with detailed comments [and requests for further advice] if that is OK!

Yes - I am sorry if the itinerary seems hectic. We are in CA for a mere three weeks and we always try to do too much. We thought we had cut it down, but as Roadhound said it will be a good reason for returning.

The Santa Barbara to Sonoma run should be broken up, but there just seems no room in the plan to stay overnight en route, but this is something that I will look at, given the advice. I rather fancy the Big Sur, but it will add a few hours. We will have 12 hours to do the run, so it should be possible.

The Tehichapi trip is a day for me, and we are heading specifically for the loop - I have got quite a lot of advice from railroad forums on where to locate. Speed will be the essence to get there, so it will have to be the Freeway north I'm afraid.

Many thanks - excitement is building.

Peter

Thank you for all of these tips. We will pore the maps over the weekend and come back with detailed comments [and requests for further advice] if that is OK!

Yes - I am sorry if the itinerary seems hectic. We are in CA for a mere three weeks and we always try to do too much. We thought we had cut it down, but as Roadhound said it will be a good reason for returning.

The Santa Barbara to Sonoma run should be broken up, but there just seems no room in the plan to stay overnight en route, but this is something that I will look at, given the advice. I rather fancy the Big Sur, but it will add a few hours. We will have 12 hours to do the run, so it should be possible.

The Tehichapi trip is a day for me, and we are heading specifically for the loop - I have got quite a lot of advice from railroad forums on where to locate. Speed will be the essence to get there, so it will have to be the Freeway north I'm afraid.

Many thanks - excitement is building.

Peter

Peter,

One thing I didn't mention in my previous postings was what weather to prepare for. Typically in July you can expect it to be warm to hot, depending on where you are. I would expect Techachipi to be in the 90+ range as well as most areas in the LA basin. Along the Northern California Coast is a different story with the temperatures ranging from mild to cold and foggy. There is probably a good chance that you will go over the Golden Gate Bridge in the fog. Mark Twain, or was it Jack London, in any event someone once wrote that the coldest winter he had ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. The vendors at Fisherman's Wharf make a killing on sweatshirt sales to unsuspecting tourists in the Summer. The Sonoma area should be pleasant with the possibility of high overcast in the morning and warm afternoons.

In summary, pack the shorts and t-shirts as well as a light jacket and sweater.

This weather report brought to you by Roadhound