American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Plainfield Realigns Us-30

The Village of Plainfield in Illinois has realigned US-30 to cut down on truck traffic as they attempt to turn Lockport Street, which is the Main Street into more of a haven for shopping, dining, and historic preservation. I'd say they're following the lead of Geneva, Illinois.

• 3 weeks later...

Drove through Plainfield on my way back home on Thursday. The street through downtown is torn up and had to take the detour, which is now going to be permanent for trucks.

I think they made the right decision here. There is only one other place where both Route 66 and the Lincoln come together.

Drove through Plainfield on my way back home on Thursday. The street through downtown is torn up and had to take the detour, which is now going to be permanent for trucks.

I think they made the right decision here. There is only one other place where both Route 66 and the Lincoln come together.

Oh, that's got to be a quiz question, RoadDog....am I right? ;)

Where is the other place in Illinois where Route 66 crosses tbe Lincoln?

Methinks it is Joliet. We're passing through there on July 4 when we cross Illinois on US 52. Did US 52 formerly coincide at the same point? And US-6 also? A map I saw now has 52 bypassing downtown by a few blocks, but I am guessing that they probably all met at the same place in the past.

Chris

Edited by Chris Rowland

Methinks it is Joliet. We're passing through there on July 4 when we cross Illinois on US 52. Did US 52 formerly coincide at the same point? And US-6 also? A map I saw now has 52 bypassing downtown by a few blocks, but I am guessing that they probably all met at the same place in the past.

Chris

Methinks you are correct regarding 66 & LH. Don't know about 6 & 52.

It occurs to me that Joliet could be a candidate for "Crisscrossroads of America". US 6, 30, and 52 enter Joliet from the east in nice north to south numeric order just as AASHO intended. But when they exit on the west side, 52 is in the middle with 30 heading north and 6 heading south.

US-52 is quite the trip. I've been on it in parts of Illinois and in Iowa.

A few years ago, I took it all the way from Joliet to Winston Salem. The stretch from Metamora, Indiana, and along the Ohio River in Ohio is impressive. I wasn't so impressed with West Virginia's mileage. However, Virginia and North Carolina made up for it.

I'd like to go from end-to-end someday if we ever get Big Oil under control.

US-52 is quite the trip. I've been on it in parts of Illinois and in Iowa.

In June, we're taking it from the Saskatchewan border with North Dakota to Indianapolis, so we'll be covering the parts you haven't been to yet. I'm really looking forward to it.

I have to agree that the segment between Metamora and Brookville, Indiana is wonderful.

Chris