American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

New Aircraft Museum In Everett, Washington

RoadDog

The World War II German V-1 rocket drew a lot of stares at is made its way along I-5 on March 20th. Definitely not something you see everyday going down an interstate, or any road for that matter.

Its owner, Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen was having it moved to its new home at Paine Field into a remodeled 1949 51,000 square foot hanger which is scheduled to open June 6. It is one of the fifteen items in his Flying Heritage Museum. Two others are going to be moved soon: an American Hellcat and Japanese Oscar.

The new museum is located at 3407 109th Street SW in Everett.

The World War II German V-1 rocket drew a lot of stares at is made its way along I-5 on March 20th. Definitely not something you see everyday going down an interstate, or any road for that matter.

Its owner, Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen was having it moved to its new home at Paine Field into a remodeled 1949 51,000 square foot hanger which is scheduled to open June 6. It is one of the fifteen items in his Flying Heritage Museum. Two others are going to be moved soon: an American Hellcat and Japanese Oscar.

The new museum is located at 3407 109th Street SW in Everett.

Paul Allen's museum should be quite a site to see. He has a huge collection of rare warbirds that have been rebuilt to factory new condition.

Roadhound

Paul Allen's museum should be quite a site to see. He has a huge collection of rare warbirds that have been rebuilt to factory new condition.

Roadhound

Roadhound, you must be salivating! Having seen some of your aircraft in flight shots, this might be heavenly! I’m glad RoadDog cited this one. Now I have something to plan for in June!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Roadhound, you must be salivating! Having seen some of your aircraft in flight shots, this might be heavenly! I’m glad RoadDog cited this one. Now I have something to plan for in June!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Salivating...you got that right.

Most of that collection has been tucked away safely in hangars either waiting for restoration or post restoration. From what I have heard the details are incredible down to recreating the original wiring, connectors, avionics. Everything is exactly as it would have been when it rolled off the assembly line. All are in flying condition although many may be too rare ever to get the wind under their wings again. I know the Oscar is one that I have never seen up close.

It sounds like a great destination for a summer trip. Now all I have to do is figure out a route that will take me through Central Nevada, to pick up the 1/2 of a dollar bill that is waiting for me at Golconda Summit, and then circle back around and come in from the East into Washington. That 1/2 of a dollar bill is going to end up costing me a $100 bucks in gas.

Roadhound

The Spruce Goose is at the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. Another worthwhile stop if you're in the neighborhood.

http://www.sprucegoose.org/

Roadhound

Evergreen, Everett - sound the same to me. LOL

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

maybe that's why I get lost all the time