American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Zillah's Teapot

There is so much of interest in this Forum and Keep the Show on the Road! (Dave) says so many nice things about us that I am filled with guilt for not participating more often. I have been saving up observations about a number of topics discussed here and I will do my best to comment in a more timely manner “soon.”

But first: Back to the topic of the Zillah Teapot. We (meaning Alice) is busy writing an American Road blurb about that neat little filling station. Slowly the some of the pieces are falling together as we dig through all sorts of sources. I would like to ask two questions:

1. Stories about the Teapot are few. If you know of any stories about travelers walking ten miles to get there after running out of gas or things like that would you be so kind as to share them?

2. The application for listing on the historic register is clear about the station being moved to its present location in 1978 when I-82 was built but makes no mention of a 1930's move from Yakima. In fact, it is understood in the application that the Teapot was build in its Zillah location. Dave, Ray, or anyone: can you shed more light on its alleged previous move? Where did the idea come from? Must be some reason for the story.

Another topic tomorrow.

John Ridge (alias yttrailman)

There is so much of interest in this Forum and Keep the Show on the Road! (Dave) says so many nice things about us that I am filled with guilt for not participating more often. I have been saving up observations about a number of topics discussed here and I will do my best to comment in a more timely manner “soon.”

But first: Back to the topic of the Zillah Teapot. We (meaning Alice) is busy writing an American Road blurb about that neat little filling station. Slowly the some of the pieces are falling together as we dig through all sorts of sources. I would like to ask two questions:

1. Stories about the Teapot are few. If you know of any stories about travelers walking ten miles to get there after running out of gas or things like that would you be so kind as to share them?

2. The application for listing on the historic register is clear about the station being moved to its present location in 1978 when I-82 was built but makes no mention of a 1930's move from Yakima. In fact, it is understood in the application that the Teapot was build in its Zillah location. Dave, Ray, or anyone: can you shed more light on its alleged previous move? Where did the idea come from? Must be some reason for the story.

Another topic tomorrow.

John Ridge (alias yttrailman)

John (and Alice),

Any praise I have sent your and Alice’s way is well deserved! As far as I’m concerned, you folks have done more for the Yellowstone than Parmley himself.

Regarding the teapot station and its move from Yakima….I cited such a move in my post about a year ago, but can’t find the source today. It is highly unlikely that I made up a move, but not unlikely that I accepted a mistaken source. As you know, most cite 1922 as the construction date and several place it at its present site, and none at Yakima. None I found cite any contemporary (1922) source either way

I recall at the time of my post that I wondered where in Yakima it was “originally” located, and found nothing to help me.

I look forward to your posts and always read your features in American Road.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave