American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Bridge Over Virgin Near Zion Np At Rockville, Utah

Travelers to Zion usually zip through Rockville (64 families) without even realizing there is a great old early 1900's bridge that crosses the Virgin River just south of town.. I called the good folks at the “City of Rockville” this morning to confirm that the bridge was still there. I last saw it only five years ago, but so many beautiful bridges disappear each year, I had to check.

The nice lady on the telephone sounded incredulous when I asked if it was still there. She said “Of course it is! That is how we get to the other side of the river!”

RockvilleBridge.jpg

Bridge Across the Virgin at Rockville, Utah

The road on the other side of the river leads to the wonderful ghost town of Grafton, where I believe some of the scenes in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were filmed.

I want to take a movie and photos of the bridge and Grafton later this month, then take the dirt road that I believe at one time was the south entrance to Zion. The bridge was important because it made that route possible (and of course allowed the people of Rockville to get across the river!!! :rolleyes: ). You could then travel from Grand Canyon or Pipe Springs National Monument to Zion without the long trip to Hurricane. At least that is how I recall the story.

In any event, it is a great bridge...and I will check my resources to confirm my recollection.

RockvilleMap.jpg

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Dave, you appear to be on a serious mission!

Also, I admire your chutzpah to call the lady in Rockville.

Finally, I'm amazed that Live Maps has a bird's-eye view way out there.

jim

Mobilene,

When Virtual Earth gets it right, they shine. Google has better full color coverage of the southwest, but Virtual Earth was apparently using birdseyes of Zion and included Rockville.

I don't know who I talked with in Rockville, but it might have been the City Clerk. It was a funny conversation because I'm sure they don't get many old bridge inquiries!

As for missions..... I figured the forum needed a few more western posts. We have bridges in the west, but not many brick roads! But then where are your hogans?

My "research" has alredy turned up lost silver mines, old pioneer trails, and "famous" bridges. But that rock cabin eludes me!

I would like to see a few of the gang do a little scouting on the web, both for me, and because it might be interesting in and of itself. For example, take a look in Google Earth at Mexican Hat. Under layers turn on the Geographic Web and look at some of those spots, including Mexican Hat (the rock). Amazing!

Dave

Great photo! I wish I could join you.

Chris

Chris,

I recognize that not everyone is retired and able to take off on a moment’s notice!!! It would probably have been better to wait a few weeks and plan better, but winter rates for plane, car, and lodging are in effect.

I have been over much of this ground as a young man in my twenties, and some of it later with my son about thirty years ago, and into Zion just five years ago...so this is a combination revisit and a bit of new. And I have a better eye now and a finer appreciation of time and place than I did back when.

There are at least four bridges I want to see or revisit. The one at Rockvillle is a classic, built by the National Park folks in 1924 to permit travel from the North side of Grand Canyon to Zion before the big tunnel on the east was built. The dirt road that served as the south approach to Zion between 1924 and 1928 is still there, and I hope to take it, weather and road conditions permitting. It crosses the Virgin on the Rockville bridge.

The second classic is the (1928?) Navaho Bridge across the Colorado at Marble Canyon. It was replaced in 1995 with a new bridge, but the old beauty still parallels the new. And up river I want to at least visit Lee’s Ferry, the old time crossing, and one well described in my newly found 1918 pathfinder’s report..

Then I want to visit the site of the suspension bridge at Mexican Hat (Goodridge) described in the report. I would like to know when it was replaced. The current bridge is clearly modern.

Finally, there is mention in a couple of modern accounts of the “historical suspension bridge” at Bluff. I’m not sure if that is the crossing west of Bluff or not.

I am going to post a few “road questions” ASAP in the hopes that some of the gang will help me with a little research. Several of the sites mentioned in the 1918 account have obviously changed in the last 90 years, but travelers in the southwest know how long roads and buildings leave their mark on the land.

Thanks for the comment!!

Dave

• 7 months later...
There are at least four bridges I want to see or revisit. The one at Rockvillle is a classic, built by the National Park folks in 1924 to permit travel from the North side of Grand Canyon to Zion before the big tunnel on the east was built. The dirt road that served as the south approach to Zion between 1924 and 1928 is still there, and I hope to take it, weather and road conditions permitting. It crosses the Virgin on the Rockville bridge.

The second classic is the (1928?) Navaho Bridge across the Colorado at Marble Canyon. It was replaced in 1995 with a new bridge, but the old beauty still parallels the new. And up river I want to at least visit Lee’s Ferry, the old time crossing, and one well described in my newly found 1918 pathfinder’s report..

I too have been over the old Rockville bridge (to get to the Grafton ghost town on the south bank) and it is indeed a nice old bridge!

The original Navajo ('j' not 'h') Bridge opened in January 1929, so you were not far off. When visiting the Lee's Ferry site, now within Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, and well worth a visit, I learned that said ferry had had a serious accident and sank into the Colorado river during the spring or early summer of 1928 and was not replaced, since the new bridge was nearly finished just downstream. This of course meant that for a period of at least seven or eight months there was NO way to cross the Colorado (in an automobile at least) for hundreds of miles in either direction!

Mike

I too have been over the old Rockville bridge (to get to the Grafton ghost town on the south bank) and it is indeed a nice old bridge!

The original Navajo ('j' not 'h') Bridge opened in January 1929, so you were not far off. When visiting the Lee's Ferry site, now within Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, and well worth a visit, I learned that said ferry had had a serious accident and sank into the Colorado river during the spring or early summer of 1928 and was not replaced, since the new bridge was nearly finished just downstream. This of course meant that for a period of at least seven or eight months there was NO way to cross the Colorado (in an automobile at least) for hundreds of miles in either direction!

Mike

Mike,

I am in a bit of a rush or I would elaborate. Thanks for the reply!!

We love old Grafton! I think some of Butch Cassedy and the Sundance Kid was filmed there.

Gotta run, but more later.

Dave