American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Advice For Trip To Zion, Monument Valley

OK, I want advice.

I’m headed for Monument Valley and the Goose Necks of the San Juan via Las Vegas, Zion, across the 1918 bridge at Rockville, Pipe Springs, Fredonia, Marble Canyon, up to Lee’s Ferry, across the Navaho Bridge, across the Navaho Reservation, Tuba City, and Kayenta.

I just bought my ticket. I’ll fly to Las Vegas on Saturday, March 15, rent a car, and head out following the Monumental Highway described in my 1918 issue of Utah’s Good Roads Automobilist magazine. I’ll fly back out of Las Vegas on March 25, so I have 2 flying days and 9 days on the ‘ole two laners.

As usual, I am not prepared for this trip...but discovery is more than half the fun. Have any of our members been along this route or parts of it recently? How about good books I can get in a hurry?

If you want to do a little armchair research, give me your results. My plan is to at least post photos and travel notes as I go, but I’m not as well organized as the rest of this gang...which kind of goes without saying!

If you want me to scout out anything I will try.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

OK, I want advice.
Sorry, I've never been there and have no advice but I do have a hip hip hooray and some honest envy. I know Zion is a red letter attraction by itself and with stuff like the Monumental Highway thrown in this sounds like a dandy. I'm short on advice but offer encouragement aplenty.

OK, I want advice.

I’m headed for Monument Valley and the Goose Necks of the San Juan via Las Vegas, Zion, across the 1918 bridge at Rockville, Pipe Springs, Fredonia, Marble Canyon, up to Lee’s Ferry, across the Navaho Bridge, across the Navaho Reservation, Tuba City, and Kayenta.

I just bought my ticket. I’ll fly to Las Vegas on Saturday, March 15, rent a car, and head out following the Monumental Highway described in my 1918 issue of Utah’s Good Roads Automobilist magazine. I’ll fly back out of Las Vegas on March 25, so I have 2 flying days and 9 days on the ‘ole two laners.

As usual, I am not prepared for this trip...but discovery is more than half the fun. Have any of our members been along this route or parts of it recently? How about good books I can get in a hurry?

If you want to do a little armchair research, give me your results. My plan is to at least post photos and travel notes as I go, but I’m not as well organized as the rest of this gang...which kind of goes without saying!

If you want me to scout out anything I will try.

Dave

Keep,

Sounds like a great trip. The last time I was through there was 18 years ago on a trip through the Four Corners area, Santa Fe, and up to Colorado Springs. Along the way we stopped in Zion, Bryce, nearly ran out of gas on the way to Capitol Reef, and Moab. I've got quite a few slides from the trip that I hope to get around to scanning someday. There is no shortage of things to see out there.

One thing I do recall is that in Monument Valley you had the option of either driving your car into the Valley for $2 or paying $14 for the dual axle guided tour. The road into the valley had 12 inch deep potholes every few feet that you had to navigate around, which resulted in a line of cars inching their way along. The car I was driving at the time was a company fleet vehicle that I was getting ready to turn back in and so I really didn't care how much damage I did, as long as I was able to drive it back home. That car never ran the same again. Don't be a cheapskate, pay for the guided tour.

I look forward to seeing your road report.

Roadhound

Keep,

Sounds like a great trip. The last time I was through there was 18 years ago on a trip through the Four Corners area, Santa Fe, and up to Colorado Springs. Along the way we stopped in Zion, Bryce, nearly ran out of gas on the way to Capitol Reef, and Moab. I've got quite a few slides from the trip that I hope to get around to scanning someday. There is no shortage of things to see out there.

One thing I do recall is that in Monument Valley you had the option of either driving your car into the Valley for $2 or paying $14 for the dual axle guided tour. The road into the valley had 12 inch deep potholes every few feet that you had to navigate around, which resulted in a line of cars inching their way along. The car I was driving at the time was a company fleet vehicle that I was getting ready to turn back in and so I really didn't care how much damage I did, as long as I was able to drive it back home. That car never ran the same again. Don't be a cheapskate, pay for the guided tour.

I look forward to seeing your road report.

Roadhound

Rick,

Thanks for the tip! I'm thinking I might stay at Gouldings and they have a half day and all day tour of Monument Valley. They even have a full moon tour while I'm there. I usually prefer my own driving, but I think your advice pertains. It has been 40 plus years since I was there, and a lot of pot holes can develop in that time! :lol:

We drove around Capital Reef and Moab about 5 years ago and did a little hiking. I was impressed with Capitol Reef more than I expected.

Thinking about this trip started about two days ago, so I am still looking at maps and lodging!

Your reflections and advice help!

Dave

Sorry, I've never been there and have no advice but I do have a hip hip hooray and some honest envy. I know Zion is a red letter attraction by itself and with stuff like the Monumental Highway thrown in this sounds like a dandy. I'm short on advice but offer encouragement aplenty.

Denny,

We were in Zion about five Septembers ago (after a 30 year lapse), but the only way to go into the valley was by bus. Until April 1 I can drive in and walk as I wish (like the old days), so it will be worth a revisit.

Tracking the "Monumental Highway" got me going a couple of evenings ago, and since I'm not getting younger (darn it), I figured I better make hay while the sun shines...or is it woopie...I forget!

Dave