American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Camping?

mmarkley

I see lots of discussion about RVing but not so much in the way of camping. Does no one out there camp when they are on the road?

Michele

We've not yet experienced the camping life, but that's about to change. Jennifer got a two-person tent last year for being at her job 5 years. She picked the tent over the clock, so it's kind of forced to do it! We're rookies still, but we're going to try to get out a weekend or two this year to see if it's our cup-o-tea. I think most state parks in Indiana are around $8/night, so there won't be a great financial loss if all doesn't go well! Any good places in these parts?

I see lots of discussion about RVing but not so much in the way of camping. Does no one out there camp when they are on the road?

Michele

I try to camp as often as possible on road trips. It doesn't happen very often when my wife is along but if it is just my son and I we prefer camping. I've even been able to convince my 11 year old daughter to give it a try. Camping under the stars beats an RV or hotel room any day. Last summer my son, father, and I mixed it up between campgrounds and cheap hotels so that we got to shower every few days.

The stories that I have read of early auto travels across the country always included camping as part of the accomodations, especially in the west. It is my duty to follow in the spirit of the early road travelers and pitch my tent.

Roadhound

The alternatives are a no brainier. You can buy a deluxe camping setup for a few hundred dollars and rent a space for about half of what an RV space costs. So other things even close to equal, everyone camps...right? Ha!!!

Why not? I have camped, trailered, tent trailered, motorhomed, bicycled, and moteled, each for long enough periods to know what each involves.

Let me list the terms that bring it into focus. Bugs, heat, cold, dirt, outhouses, noise, setup, takedown, wind, rain, security, privacy, convenience, and comfort.

Balance these against cost and it is clear why people who can afford RV’s don’t camp anymore.

That said, I have had more fun camping than I ever had in an RV. But I was young and didn’t care if there were black widows under the toilet seat and sand in my shorts, and that the last guy who used the bathroom peed in the sink. I was fearless and couldn’t be violated. Sleeping on the ground in the rain was only a temporary inconvenience., my skin was waterproof and my constitution indestructible.

So if bugs, heat, cold, dirt, e coli, noise, wind, rain, security, privacy, convenience, and comfort are inconsequential, and money is a big issue, camp. And have fun!! I did, until I got a good paying job. And I dearly wish I was there again.

If that doesn’t make up your mind, then consider a “camp and comfort mix,” two days camping, one day in a motel, etc. You can extend the duration of each in the recurring cycle, depending on the weather, your experiences, and your budget.

If you even think it might be fun, then you owe it to yourself to do it. Worst thing that can happen is you have some camping stories to tell your grandkids. I say, Go for it!

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

My kids bug me to take them camping and I've only managed it once. Camping's great when the weather is right but other than that I just haven't enjoyed it. I can see that camping would let me take long road trips inexpensively, and I love love love inexpensive. I've wondered if I could rent a camping spot and just sleep in the back of my station wagon, no tent. jim

We've not yet experienced the camping life, but that's about to change. Jennifer got a two-person tent last year for being at her job 5 years. She picked the tent over the clock, so it's kind of forced to do it! We're rookies still, but we're going to try to get out a weekend or two this year to see if it's our cup-o-tea. I think most state parks in Indiana are around $8/night, so there won't be a great financial loss if all doesn't go well! Any good places in these parts?

Roadmaven,

Depends on how far you want to drive. As a kid, my parents made a point to travel to every Indiana State Park one year. Some I remember better than others. If you want to take that trip to Madison, my husband and I camped at Clifty Falls State Park a few years ago. They have some really nice trails. I seem to recall waterfalls, a cave and riverbeds. Brown County State Park is beautiful in the fall. I don't remember the trails because I haven't actually been there since I was a kid. McCormick's Creek state park is nice as well. It is near Bloomington.

We tend to camp at Potato Creek State Park in north central Indiana a lot because we can lump it together with visiting family. That would be about a 3 hour drive for you. My absolute favorite is Turkey Run State Park. Close by with great trails. I recommend trail 3. :)

There are also a couple of covered bridges down there that you can check out. About 20 minutes from Turkey Run is Shades State Park. Also nice trails and tends to get noticed less than Turkey Run so the trails and campground aren't as crowded. We actually are planning to drive down to Turkey Run on Sunday since its supposed to warm up to 50 degrees. I want to get some hiking in while there are still some ice formations in the canyons. I will post some pictures when I get back.

Here's a link to the Indiana DNR page listing the parks on a map.

Outside of Indiana we haven't done much camping. As a kid, we camped pretty much all over the New England states but nothing south or west of Indiana. That is going to change this spring on our Route 6 trip. We have decided to camp the entire way.

Hope this helps.

Michele

I think only half of the reason that we camp is because of the lack of green in the wallet. And I am sure that someday we will decide that roughing it isn't worth it any more.

I think the bigger reason is truly enjoying the land around me. I grew up camping. My parents have a picture of me bundled up around the campfire when I was less than 1 year old. I've always loved it. Waking up to the sound of birds. Watching the stars overhead as I fall asleep. True, I'm young and most likely you would say crazy but I hope that I will always love camping.

Besides, you have to admit, the adventures/mishaps that we are going to have while we are camping on our Route 6 trip will make for a better read in the book that I am writing than if we stayed in a motel. :)

Michele

I've wondered if I could rent a camping spot and just sleep in the back of my station wagon, no tent. jim

You can definitely rent a camping spot and sleep in your car. We've done that before.

If you would like the experience of camping without the tent or an RV, I highly recommend the KOA Kamping Kabins. They are wonderful. The past two summers, we planned long road trips where we were in a Kabin one night and a hotel on alternate nights. The Kabin has one full size bed plus bunk beds, and they supply a durable, not particularly comfortable mattress-like mattress. You bring all of your own bedding and use the bathhouse just like tent camping, with the advantage that you don't have to put up or take down your shelter. This is good when you're hoping to get on the road early or arrive late. We often stay a different place each night, so the setup (not to mention finding room to transport the tent and accessories) is too difficult.

911949646_d0535482a1_m.jpg

The Kabins are usually under $50 most places, and you can find them at campgrounds that were 'formerly' KOA that have gone independent, too. They worked well for our family of four. This photo is from one we stayed in at Pigeon Forge, TN last summer.

By the way, at least half of the campgrounds now have wireless internet, so you can keep us up to date on your trip progress!

Chris

Edited by Chris Rowland

Michele

I've done a fair amount of tent, van, and car camping but I guess I "out grew" (that's a euphemism, folks;-) it. I still do "camp" with the car on occasion (Jim, look here for a simulation of what sleeping in your Matrix might be like.) but it's now mostly because it's part of a group. I've not done any real travel with camping along the way in a long time but I've been giving it serious thought as a means of stretching the travel dollar in the "more time & less money" days I see in my future. I'll be watching your Route 6 experience for a hint of what I might expect.

We actually are planning to drive down to Turkey Run on Sunday since its supposed to warm up to 50 degrees. I want to get some hiking in while there are still some ice formations in the canyons. I will post some pictures when I get back.

Pictures as promised. I didn't get any good road pictures as time was limited. The friends that went with us had to get back by a certain time so we didn't get to truly enjoy the road portion of the trip. Here are some pics from the trail we hiked.

Some turned out better than others. I think my camera is dying a slow death so it isn't working quite the way it should but it does the job until I can replace it. Enjoy.

Michele

I've wondered if I could rent a camping spot and just sleep in the back of my station wagon, no tent. jim

That's what we do - but, in the back of our Ford Econoline Van. We'll camp one night and motel it the next. We did some tent camping a while back (almost 10 years ago now). It was allot of fun until the one morning we woke up in a HUGE puddle and had to break camp in a downpour. . . It was definitely unforgettable!

:) Becky

You can definitely rent a camping spot and sleep in your car. We've done that before.

If you would like the experience of camping without the tent or an RV, I highly recommend the KOA Kamping Kabins. They are wonderful. The past two summers, we planned long road trips where we were in a Kabin one night and a hotel on alternate nights. The Kabin has one full size bed plus bunk beds, and they supply a durable, not particularly comfortable mattress-like mattress. You bring all of your own bedding and use the bathhouse just like tent camping, with the advantage that you don't have to put up or take down your shelter. This is good when you're hoping to get on the road early or arrive late. We often stay a different place each night, so the setup (not to mention finding room to transport the tent and accessories) is too difficult.

911949646_d0535482a1_m.jpg

The Kabins are usually under $50 most places, and you can find them at campgrounds that were 'formerly' KOA that have gone independent, too. They worked well for our family of four. This photo is from one we stayed in at Pigeon Forge, TN last summer.

By the way, at least half of the campgrounds now have wireless internet, so you can keep us up to date on your trip progress!

Chris

Another possibility in some states (like Oregon) is to try a Yurt. The state parks have them. The concept is similar to the KOA cabin.

Becky

• 2 years later...

Hi All: My wife and I prefer tent camping. Preferably in a secluded natural non campground setting.

(see camp picture in "RV and camping" forum under Yesterdays camp today) Mike...

Edited by flivver

Back in the day, when they were cheap (most always) and available I drove Rambler station wagons. There were many nights, when I was on the road going somewhere or other, that I would stop at a campground and rent a space, usually for around $5-$8 and sleep in the back of the Rambler. Wagons didn't have the fold down "camper" seats like the regular cars, but wasn't required as the back seat folded down and there was more than enough room back there for at least two people - 3 if you wanted to get real friendly!!!! :D Amercan 440 station wagons weren't all that big, like the Pontiacs, Buicks, etc of the period. With those monsters you could camp a whole family in the back.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Back in the day, when they were cheap (most always) and available I drove Rambler station wagons. There were many nights, when I was on the road going somewhere or other, that I would stop at a campground and rent a space, usually for around $5-$8 and sleep in the back of the Rambler. Wagons didn't have the fold down "camper" seats like the regular cars, but wasn't required as the back seat folded down and there was more than enough room back there for at least two people - 3 if you wanted to get real friendly!!!! :D Amercan 440 station wagons weren't all that big, like the Pontiacs, Buicks, etc of the period. With those monsters you could camp a whole family in the back.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Hi Alex: Thanks for the memory jog. I had almost forgotten. When I was in my early twenties I had a 57's Willys 4x4 station wagon that I did the same thing with. The rear seat was easily removable and the passenger side of the split front seat would fold forward allowing enough room for a six footer plus. I still tent camped if I had more company with me than just the pooch. Mike...

Edited by flivver