American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Earthquake Hits Wells, Nevada

roadhound

I saw on my local news this evening that Wells, Nevada was hit by a decent size earthquake. It looked like quite a few buildings were damaged along 6th St and those interviewed on the clip said that nearly every building in town sustained damage to some degree.

I found this article via a google search.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...it_by_60_quake/

Here's what 6th st looked like last summer.

SC10_79_16.jpg

Roadhound

It was sad to see the earthquake damage today to little Wells, Nevada. :( Roadhound and I have visited there is the last couple of years. The line of old buildings along the old highway was the highlight of Wells. Otherwise it is just another freeway truck stop off ramp. Maybe the damage can be turned into an old west “attraction.”

Keep the Show on thne Road!

Dave

When you look at the damage done by today’s earthquake, your heart has to go out to the folks at Wells, Nevada. My photos were taken in the summer of 2003, and show Wells from about the same angle as the Associated Press photo.

ARwellsPaper.jpg

ARWells2.jpg

ARWells1.jpg

Keep the Show on the Road!

When you look at the damage done by today’s earthquake, your heart has to go out to the folks at Wells, Nevada. My photos were taken in the summer of 2003, and show Wells from about the same angle as the Associated Press photo.

ARwellsPaper.jpg

ARWells2.jpg

ARWells1.jpg

The side by side comparison really helps to illustrate the extent of the damage. It looks like there were a few collapsed roofs as well as a lot of unreenforced masonry.

Roadhound

• 5 months later...
That is a shame. To my unqualified eye, that damage looks pretty serious. I'm thinking there's a good chance all of those building will be brought down.

Denny,

This short quote is from a few hours ago on Reno, Nevada TV, Channel 2. Really sad.

"More than five months after a 6.0 magnitude earthquake hit the historic area of Wells, Nevada - the area looks pretty much the same.

Piles of bricks explain it all. Downtown Wells has a lot of rebuilding to do. But the crumbling walls, the cracked windows, and the tangled power lines have been left untouched."

The whole story is even more sad at

http://www.ktvn.com/Global/story.asp?S=874...p;nav=menu549_2

If Wells were San Francisco, this would obviously be world news. Like I'm sure you too feel, the fact that only maybe 1200 people live in Wells doesn't make it less of a disaster for each of them.

Dave

Denny,

This short quote is from a few hours ago on Reno, Nevada TV, Channel 2. Really sad.

"More than five months after a 6.0 magnitude earthquake hit the historic area of Wells, Nevada - the area looks pretty much the same.

Piles of bricks explain it all. Downtown Wells has a lot of rebuilding to do. But the crumbling walls, the cracked windows, and the tangled power lines have been left untouched."

The whole story is even more sad at

http://www.ktvn.com/Global/story.asp?S=874...p;nav=menu549_2

If Wells were San Francisco, this would obviously be world news. Like I'm sure you too feel, the fact that only maybe 1200 people live in Wells doesn't make it less of a disaster for each of them.

Dave

Thanks for sharing that Dave. I know I'm repeating myself but I feel fortunate to have seen it before the earthquake and actually know that I was looking at a place with some history. I doubt that many of the folks zooming by on I-80 had any clue what was there. I don't see how they will be able to recover and restore without state or federal assistance. Sad.