American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Chain of Rocks & Springfield Festival

• 1 month later...

I normally only mention my road trips here after they are over. I'm making an exception on this one since 1) this topic already existed and 2) I thought it might get a response from other forum members who are in town for the festival. What follows is the message that was mailed to subscribers on my "On the Road" list.

----------

On my last outing, the mailing list was misbehaving and the car was fine.

Now it's the other way around. The list is working and I've lost reverse in

the car. But road trips are all about going forward and I'm doing that.

The first day, with a drive over the Chain of Rocks Bridge, is up at:

http://www.dennygibson.com/rt66fest06il

I'm back home (the forward gears kept going) and have the three day journal posted. After that first day, there is little driving on Sixty-Six but a lot of Saturday was at spent at the festival where I met up with several roadies staking out a corner of the Alamo. Most I knew but this was my first time meeting Mr. & Mrs. RoadDog. Those two proceeded to make me jealous with their plans for leaving Springfield on Sixty-Six and following it to the coast. Good luck, RoadDog, and update us when you can.

Thanks for stopping by Bridgeton for me! I entertained the idea of driving over there Sunday in hopes I'd run into you, but my yard and shrubs in need of a trim got the better of me.

The bridge looks like it's almost ready to go. I'm very impressed with the effort to copy the original. Just about the only difference I see is that the entrance to the original looks a little wider and "squattier" than the new one, but other than that, she looks like a beauty. Now I just need to figure out if I can get a day off during the festival to make a run over there.

I'm back home (the forward gears kept going) and have the three day journal posted. After that first day, there is little driving on Sixty-Six but a lot of Saturday was at spent at the festival where I met up with several roadies staking out a corner of the Alamo. Most I knew but this was my first time meeting Mr. & Mrs. RoadDog. Those two proceeded to make me jealous with their plans for leaving Springfield on Sixty-Six and following it to the coast. Good luck, RoadDog, and update us when you can.

Thanks for the trip report Denny! I really wanted to go, but our most recent roadie addition (aka my daughter Amber) is not fully licensed yet, and thus, I was on call this weekend when she had to work. :angry:

But, alas, I count the days, hours and minutes until freedom rings, this Saturday morning at 9:30 AM! :D

Sorry to hear about the car...bummer! Sounds like you managed OK...lucky! I would have gotten myself into some kind of jam, I'm sure.

But, alas, I count the days, hours and minutes until freedom rings, this Saturday morning at 9:30 AM! :D

Well, if I lived west of Indianapolis and I was free next Saturday, I'd go to the Antique Car Hillclimb in Newport. (Especially if I had a transmission.) I've given it some thought but can't possibly make it Saturday and doing two four hour drives on Sunday doesn't sound very clever. Now that I know about it, I may put some effort into getting there next year. But, if I lived west of Indianapolis...

• 1 month later...

It was a pleasure meeting you in Springfield.

Well, we completed the trip, and what a trip it was. Over 5400 miles, $480 worth of gas, and $1200 in motel bills.

It was great getting together with the e-mail group at the Alamo in Springfield and putting some faces to names. I'd recommend roadie get togethers whenever possible during such events.

Enjoyed the Grass Roots, even if they were singing a bit off key. Sad news was that Norb Andy's, one of our favorite Springfield places, was closed and had been for some time. Hope they reopen. This is where we had our first-ever horseshoes. Good eating there.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog