American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

"let's Get Drunk And Go Stripe Some Road!"

mobilene

And another breakfast delayed while we ride along with the boys on their National Road trip. But it's worth missing a meal for - we can always eat later (ignore the skeleton sitting at the keyboard) :D

Great write-up, as always Jim. Someday somebody needs to put these road trips into book form - would save the info for later generations for sure.

Thanks again for the trip. Y'all take care and travel safe.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

To find out about this, plus an abandoned bridge, 10 miles of abandoned brick highway, and an 1830s stone arch bridge still in use, read my report:

Jim, this was wonderful to go through. I'd have to say the picture of the Matrix on the brick road is my favorite. It was enjoyable to follow along.

Chris

Good stuff. I find the Illinois brick sections particularly interesting since I'm not at all familiar with them. I may even try to get a tiny peek this weekend if the snow don't fall and the creek don't rise and I get to do the Sweetheart Cruise with Bliss, Kip, and whoever shows.

I don't want to hijack the thread but it seems a perfect opening to again bring up the possibility of a spring time National Road cruise in this area. Bliss & Pat & RoadDog & others have casually mentioned this before and we probably ought to start doing some chatting and planning if it's going to happen. Of course, any such trip will have to have mobilene as a guide. (Even if he has to go without hot water :D ) Pat, how about starting a thread for planning a spring trip so we don't drag this one all over?

Jim,

More than great! I don’t dare read the whole thing in one sitting or I forget comments I want to make concerning early parts.

You post the question as to whether this is how the National Road looked in 1916. It might be that it looked narrow and the trees crowded up against it. But we both could surmise that the surface wasn’t probably that nice.

Your great photos of the brick beneath the sod, and comments about bricks set in a concrete basin reminded me that I have at least a few Good Roads Annuals from the teens that describe road building practices. Let me see if I can copy the brick roads section.

As for two trucks passing....keep in mind that freight went by rail. I don’t think there was much (any) in the way of long distance trucking in the days you are citing (mid teens).

By the way, I love the shots through the woods where there is only an opening. Looks like the Oregon Trail!

I’ll see what the Good Roads people have to say about brick road building in 1915 or 16.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Your great photos of the brick beneath the sod, and comments about bricks set in a concrete basin reminded me that I have at least a few Good Roads Annuals from the teens that describe road building practices. Let me see if I can copy the brick roads section.

Dave

Jim,

Here are some pages from the 1915 Good Roads Yearbook of the American Highway Association. They confirm your assessment the construction methods used in high quality brick road construction, and provide details.

ARGR140.jpg

ARGR141.jpg

Keep the Show on the Road!

WOW! Those scans are something else! It is exciting to see how the Illinois NR construction is typical of the time, for it's geographic location! The cement base is there. The bricks are there. I do not know whether sand was poured between the bricks and concrete, but there is no evidence of it now. And no "portland cement and sand" was poured between the bricks; they were all loose.

I had not considered that freight would have been shipped by rail in the 20s. But still, consider two large vehicles of the day coming toward each other on that road. All passenger side wheels had to be hugging the edge of the road!

jim