American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Newsletter Malfunction

beckyrepp

Greetings. I just opened my mail box to find multiple newsletters sent from our account. However, it was not sent by us. I do not know how these messages were sent. I am working with our webmaster to find out exactly what happened.

You have our apologies for this inconvenience. We are working to correct this problem immediately.

Sincerely,

Becky Repp, General Manger

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Greetings. I just opened my mail box to find multiple newsletters sent from our account. However, it was not sent by us. I do not know how these messages were sent. I am working with our webmaster to find out exactly what happened.

You have our apologies for this inconvenience. We are working to correct this problem immediately.

Sincerely,

Becky Repp, General Manger

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

I strongly suspect some type of virus activity, Becky. Update the definitions on your PC and do a scan at the very least. No need to apologize....right away I knew that couldn't have been you sending six newsletters in one day. ;)

Matt Smallwood

I strongly suspect some type of virus activity, Becky. Update the definitions on your PC and do a scan at the very least. No need to apologize....right away I knew that couldn't have been you sending six newsletters in one day. ;)

Matt Smallwood

Thanks for your understanding! Computers are great - when they work correctly!

:blink:

Becky

Thanks for your understanding! Computers are great - when they work correctly!

:blink:

Becky

Becky,

If it helps identify the problem, I got maybe 20 in a row, with a very faint small type trying to get me to open a link. The thought went through my mind that maybe the number of identical messages I received was related in som eway to the number of e-mails I have received from you over time.

I suppose it could go without saying that I didn't open the link, and wouldn't advise anyone to do so.

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

I suppose it could go without saying that I didn't open the link, and wouldn't advise anyone to do so.
There are actually two links in the message and they are the normal "If you are unable to view..." and "...if you prefer not to receive..." links that appear in all American Road newsletters. Both are harmless.

I received exactly 20, sent at intervals of 1 to 8 minutes between 1:21 and 2:12 EST. Everything (including message headers) points to "server.americanroadmagazine.com" being the source. I suspect something triggered sending a bunch of empty messages from the American Road server to all or part of the American Road email list.

Yes, this is an irritant and it's important to learn what happened so a repeat can be avoided but I believe it was basically harmless.

Quick update:

We've increased security to the section of our site that houses our newsletter database and the newsletter program. Our webmaster & I have a meeting tomorrow morning with our hosting company to discuss this.

Thanks everyone for your input, patience, and understanding!