American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

'62 Deuce And A Quarter And '65 Impala - Down And Dirty

Keep the Show on the Road!

Ionosphere started a dialog here about his favorite road cruiser and I tossed in my 1962 Buick Electra 225 Convertible (also referred to as a Deuce and a Quarter). There has been a “huge” demand (two people) for old 8mm movies showing the car.

This 67 second movie clip of the car was taken in 1966 on a trip with friends (who had an Impala) to Yellowstone and Glacier NP from Bend, Oregon.. I have spared you an hour of bears, lakes, waterfalls, mountains, Old Faithful, buffalo, and much more.

I suspect the first scene (using the “outdoor auto wash” to clean our dirty cars) was in the Boise, Idaho area. It was before reaching Craters of the Moon. Cityboy and Denny, if you like Impalas how about a red 1965 Impala Sport Coupe hardtop!!? And Alex…there is a Caddie in the next scene for you!

The second shot would have been somewhere between Craters of the Moon and the Tetons, but I have forgotten. A fair guess would be Rexburg or Idaho Falls because of the Mormon related marquee. Note the old style lamp post…not a reproduction to recreate “Main Street.”

The third scene with the top down is on the dirt road below my grandparents’ homestead, north of Spokane. [i have a rather nice moving shot of “downtown” Addy, Washington through the Buick’s windshield, but it would probably only be of interest to someone from eastern Washington (Ray?), so it will remain “unpublished” unless requested.]

The same goes for all the familiar tourist views in Yellowstone, the Tetons, and Glacier. I can tell you that Old Faithful sprouted, the Tetons were not taller, the falls are still falling, and though the glaciers at Glacier are smaller, the lakes and mountains are the same. Several of the bears, and buffalo are gone, but I didn’t know them anyway!

As a footnote, we had not seen the friends in this movie since 1966, but using the internet I contacted them to tell them we had some old photos..…so 40+ years later we had lunch the other day. It was fun, and largely thanks to the forum.

And as a second footnote, for Roadmaven…my friends owned, and I made movies of, their maroon Corvair on some roads in the Cascades about 1963 or 64. The shots are better then these because the cars were moving. Any interest?

Keeping the Show on the Road, (and the home movies mercifully short)!

Dave

Thanks for another movie, Keep! My dad's '65 Mustang would feel at home in those shots. The Caddy is nice as well.

Are you saying none of those nature shots show something we cannot see today ;)? I have very little shots of nature, choosing instead to focus on things like roads, bridges, buildings and people, since those things will probably be gone long before the scenery has changed.

I'm glad you were reunited with your friends. See them again before waiting another forty-two years!

Looking forward to more,

Tracy

Thanks for another movie, Keep! My dad's '65 Mustang would feel at home in those shots. The Caddy is nice as well.

Are you saying none of those nature shots show something we cannot see today ;)? I have very little shots of nature, choosing instead to focus on things like roads, bridges, buildings and people, since those things will probably be gone long before the scenery has changed.

I'm glad you were reunited with your friends. See them again before waiting another forty-two years!

Looking forward to more,

Tracy

Tracy,

You are wise beyond your years! First you are smart to focus on roads, bridges, buildings and people. To that I would add cars, streets, airplanes, trains, and computers. In short anything that is not going to look exactly the same in 2080 as it does today.

I would take videos of the main street of your home town, around your university, inside your local restaurants and grocery stores, at the gas station, in your living room (show the TV and the telephone) with the family, college pals, on the road home.....you get the idea. I didn’t, at least not often enough.

How many hours of waves, sunsets, mountains, and waterfalls does anyone want to see? I am no dummy, and I loved photography, and took thousands of photos, and hours, perhaps days, of movies....but for some reason I thought I was capturing the experience when I took pictures of rock plies, sea gulls, horses, buffalo, hills, and the like. Nuts!

Is there anything to see in nature that has changed? Well, on the trip we are discussing, I think maybe the glaciers are smaller at Glacier National Park now than they were in my movies!

There is good news. Even a monkey gets lucky. I was just looking at my movies of a great roadside attraction (Trees of Mystery) and the world’s smallest bar, and a wonderful movie of Grand Coulee dam when the mighty Columbia still rushed over its spillway and you could drive over it. And there are shots at Mesa Verde when you could get up close and personal with the ancient dwellings.

I’m not as hard on myself as I sound, but I am on a small crusade to be sure that the videos you take today on your road trips will be worth watching 50 years from now!

As for your Dad’s 55 Mustang. Does he have that gem today? I had a 1958, but the 55 is the real thing. I searched for a 1955 Mustang Convertable when I was in my 40’s, but even then, they were out of reach.

Well, back to posting movies! The next one is of US101 in San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge in 1965. I want to see how keen your eye is for details as well as the “big picture.” Test in class tomorrow!

Keep the Show on the Road

And as a second footnote, for Roadmaven…my friends owned, and I made movies of, their maroon Corvair on some roads in the Cascades about 1963 or 64. The shots are better then these because the cars were moving. Any interest?

VERY interested! :bowdown2:

Keep, I don't have a video camera, so regular old (albeit digital) photographs are all I can take. I do have photographs of, for example, a spectactularly coloured bird or a strangely-shapen tree, but those are rare.

Even looking at our photos from fifteen years ago, it is amazing how much has changed in our own home. We still had a TV with knobs and a telephone with a cord, and much of the furniture is different. We did not have a microwave oven yet, and our refrigerator was an avocado-coloured one from the '70s. Those are the cherished photos, rather than those pictures of the desert taken in about 1977 by my mother.

My dad still has his Mustang, but he has unfortunately let it go past the point of being a collector's item. I'm not even sure if it still runs. Are you sure you don't mean Thunderbird? I don't think Mustangs started being produced until the early 1960s ('64 1/2?). My parents own a 1994 Thunderbird, but that of course has nowhere near the value of one from the '50s.

I handed in my answers for the '65 video, and I hope I passed. I want to be graduated in May!

Tracy

Keep, I don't have a video camera, so regular old (albeit digital) photographs are all I can take. I do have photographs of, for example, a spectactularly coloured bird or a strangely-shapen tree, but those are rare.

Even looking at our photos from fifteen years ago, it is amazing how much has changed in our own home. We still had a TV with knobs and a telephone with a cord, and much of the furniture is different. We did not have a microwave oven yet, and our refrigerator was an avocado-coloured one from the '70s. Those are the cherished photos, rather than those pictures of the desert taken in about 1977 by my mother.

My dad still has his Mustang, but he has unfortunately let it go past the point of being a collector's item. I'm not even sure if it still runs. Are you sure you don't mean Thunderbird? I don't think Mustangs started being produced until the early 1960s ('64 1/2?). My parents own a 1994 Thunderbird, but that of course has nowhere near the value of one from the '50s.

I handed in my answers for the '65 video, and I hope I passed. I want to be graduated in May!

Tracy

Tracy,

Not Thunderbird...add ten years to my numbers. I had a 1968 Mustang! Actually as I look now at photos it may have been a 1967. Anyway, it was fatter than the 1965, and was not as graceful.

I'll check your paper and post the grade on my office door.

BTW, when you graduate we should all have a big graduation bash. I suspect you will be the first college graduate of the"new" American Road Forum. Denny, Becky, Jennifer, Roadmaven, et al....what say ye?

Keep the Show on the Road!