American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Ot: Midwest Weather

roadmaven

Just checking in with everyone here in the midwest to see if everyone made it through this storm OK. Temps have dropped nearly 40 degrees over the last 4 hours, with a possible tornado landing a little over a mile west of us. :o It was 54 shortly after 7pm, and now at 11:30pm, it's 15 with a -2 wind chill. :blink: Hope this isn't a sign of the coming Spring!

Just checking in with everyone here in the midwest to see if everyone made it through this storm OK.

It was quite an interesting front that came through Indiana last night. My wife thinks I'm crazy because as the wind would gust past our house I was watching the water in our toilet bowl start sloshing around from the changes in pressure somewhere. Well, I thought it was interesting.

I've kind of come to enjoy the unpredictability of the weather in Indiana--you never know what it will do next week.

Chris

Memphis started out yesterday morning with rain (couple nights back we had freezing drizzle with numerous accidents on the interstate, including a couple 18 wheelers jacknifed).

By noon, the sun was out and it was up to the mid-60's. There were predictions of high winds. Around 4 the local TV stations were posting tornado warnings for much of this area.

Around 5 the wind started picking up - and in my neighborhood we had sustained winds of 40-45 mph with gusts 60-65. That lasted about 15, 20 min's. Then it died down, but winds remained around 10-15.

There were black clouds all around, but it looked more like smoke. Interesting that the winds were coming out of the west, but the clouds were moving north to south.

Couple reports of trees down, but not much damage and I didn't see anything on TV news about any tornadoes, so I guess we dodged that, again.

Eveybody take care and y'all have a great day.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I was coaching my son's fourth-grade basketball team at the local Boys Club in Terre Haute when the storm rolled through.

The Boys Club sits on U.S. 41 just north of downtown. Midway through the fourth quarter the gym went dark when (and I'm speculating here) a billboard that towers over 41 about a block away came apart in the high wind and a piece or pieces struck power lines. TV showed debris from the billboard littering the roadway.

Unfortunately, the Boys Club canceled the rest of our game (even though the lights came back on). We were trailing 18-16 with 3:45 to play when the lights went out. WE WUZ ROBBED!!!

This morning I hear that we are now expecting 4 to 8 inches of snow between Thursday and Friday evening. And we are supposed to be driving Friday afternoon to Muncie for a college job fair (my girlfriend will be interviewing the students) on Saturday.

You can bet I'll avoid the interstate if the weather is that bad Friday.

It turns out the event here WAS an F-0 tornado. Here are some photos from our fine town courtesy of the Speedway Navigator. Most of these are about a mile to the northwest of us:

This ain't Kansas, Dororthy....

I know going thru a disaster, like a tornado or a forest fire (been there done that) or a hurricane (once to often thank you) is not funny - but, it is in the nature of man to find humor in adversity.

I see these tornado damage pictures and all to often a cartoon from WWII by Bill Mauldin flashes thru my mind. His characters, Willy and Joe, are standing in mud beside a house all blown to hell and back, trees down, ground chewed up - all from most likely an artillery barage. An old man sits in the rubble, sadness and resignation in his face - Joe, says to Willy, "Tell him to look at the bright side of things - his trees is pruned, his ground is plowed and his house is air contitioned!!"

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

• 2 weeks later...

We had a quick five inches of snow on the 31st, followed by a sneak five inch snowstorm Sunday night here in northeast Illinois.

Then, on Wednesday, we got that 14 inches more. I had to go out three times to get the snow off Wednesday and once more yesterday to clear the two foot of snow the city had so nicely thrown there at the base of the driveway.

I don't remember our roads here ever being in such bad shape the following day after a major snow event.

Before these last three snows, the stations were saying this was the fourth snowiest winter in the last 25 years. We should have gone up on that list.

Keep Clearing That Snow Off those Two Lane Highways. --RoadDog

• 1 month later...

Here I sit on the second day of Spring and we're getting quite a snowstorm with as many as six inches forecast. Sure has been a rough winter, and it doesn't seem to be in any hurry to leave.

Glad I didn't put away the snowblower.

GO AWAY WINTER!!!!!