American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Pictures Of Us-40 From Atlantic City To Utah

usroadman

I finally finished getting my pictures uploaded from my summer trip along US 40. They can be viewed from http://www.usroadman.com/us40links.htm . I drove the full length of the current route from Atlantic City to I-80 in Utah, taking pictures on average about every half hour.

While I wasn't specifically searching for old alignments, thanks to the fine work of other contributors here, I did catch glimpses of quite a few of them. Thanks for all of your posts. They made knowing what to look for much easier.

I also had a copy of George Stewart's book with me, and although I was following the current alignment rather than an historic alignment, I was amazed by how many of his pictures I was still able to locate. I'd guess it was over 50%. When convenient (based on whether there was some place to pull over) I tried to take pictures of the same areas. I noted in the photo description when my photo is similar to Stewart's.

I hope you enjoy them.

USRoadman,

Let me be the first to say Bravo! I just gave a quick look, and now I want to go back and armchair the trip.

It is a great resource...and trip planner!!

Later....

I just finished the second half. That was fun! Kansas is like I expected, and I have been on 40 in much of Colorado and Utah. But where are the other cars?

I'm off to view the first half!

Later yet....

Fascinating drive!!! I look forward to your further “reflections”

I definitely see regional differences in architecture and flora, which interest me. But it isn’t like 50 years ago when you saw differences in the color of the road stripes, the highway sign standards, the roadside barriers, and in the local foods and businesses. We are a lot more “homogenized” now.

GREAT JOB! I loved it!

Keep the Show on the Road!!!

Dave

Great trip - just sit back and leave the driving to (roadman).

I spotted 2 or 3 scenes from Stewarts book - and several places along the Ohio/Indiana sections that I drove back in 2001 or 2002.

But, now as when I drove it 4 or 5 years ago, I had trouble with most of it. When I drove over it the last time it was the first time since we went that way in the late 40's, early 50's on our way from Maine to Dayton, OH. And I couldn't find anything that even resembled what I saw 50 years ago. Oh, well, trees and shrubs grow, development runs rampant and things have to change for the sake of changing I guess.

Maybe that's one reason why I havn't gotten around to taking a trip down old 66 - I know that I would be to busy trying to find what I saw in 1953 to pay attention to what is there today. Such is life.

But I do have it in my mind that someday (always that "someday") I'd like to drive U S 11 from NY to New Orleans - I've noticed not to many people drive the north/south roads, like 11, 51, 61, etc.. Sounds like a trip to me. (Hey, Denny - hurry up and retire so we can make a long trip like this. I WILL bring ear plugs next time. LOL :D )

Safe traveling everyone.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I hope you enjoy them.

Great photos! I really enjoyed the slideshows. I also watched US-36, another favorite of mine. This summer, it looks like I'll be taking US-52 from the Saskatchewan border to Indiana--too bad you haven't been there yet so I could get a preview...

Chris

I finally finished getting my pictures uploaded from my summer trip along US 40. They can be viewed from http://www.usroadman.com/us40links.htm . I drove the full length of the current route from Atlantic City to I-80 in Utah, taking pictures on average about every half hour.

While I wasn't specifically searching for old alignments, thanks to the fine work of other contributors here, I did catch glimpses of quite a few of them. Thanks for all of your posts. They made knowing what to look for much easier.

I also had a copy of George Stewart's book with me, and although I was following the current alignment rather than an historic alignment, I was amazed by how many of his pictures I was still able to locate. I'd guess it was over 50%. When convenient (based on whether there was some place to pull over) I tried to take pictures of the same areas. I noted in the photo description when my photo is similar to Stewart's.

I hope you enjoy them.

That is a journey that I hope I have the chance to take someday. Nice Photos! Although, I would have a mutiny on my hands if I stopped every half hour to take a picture.

You know, if we combined the first few days of my summer trip with your summer trip we have most of the original route of US 40 covered coast to coast.

Roadhound

Excellent. I finally had the time to watch the slide show and quite enjoyed it. Your picture of that major cut in Geary County disproves the common belief that Kansas is all flat. Of course, for all I know, that might be the only bump in the whole state.

Excellent. I finally had the time to watch the slide show and quite enjoyed it. Your picture of that major cut in Geary County disproves the common belief that Kansas is all flat. Of course, for all I know, that might be the only bump in the whole state.

Nope - Kansas ain't flat!!!!! I had the same misconception, even tho I'd been stationed at the Naval Air Station in Hutchinson in 1957 - from the air it does appear flat.

In 1990, on the way to Wichita for our Hudson Club national meet, I stopped at President Trumans home in Lamar, MO, then went west on 160, US 59 and KS 400 to Wichita. I wasn't very far into Kansas before I discovered there were BIG speed bumps in the landscape. LOL Ok, maybe not the Rockies, but Kansas is not flat at all.

Hudsonly

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Thanks all for your comments. It was a great drive.

But where are the other cars?

If traffic isn't too heavy I'll stand on the side of the road for a few minutes waiting for an empty shot. I just prefer the look of empty roads, although I admit if I wait too long, I start getting "the look" from my wife.

I definitely see regional differences in architecture and flora, which interest me. But it isn’t like 50 years ago when you saw differences in the color of the road stripes, the highway sign standards, the roadside barriers, and in the local foods and businesses. We are a lot more “homogenized” now.

Even my wife now remarks how even though we only travel 200-250 miles per day, the landscape really is different every day. Buildings and roads are definitely more homogeneous now though, especially if the road has recently been improved. We still try to hit at least a few local businesses along the way, but even there we sometimes get lazy. What really kills me is when you ask for a good local place to eat, and the only place the person can come up with is Applebee's.

I'd like to drive U S 11 from NY to New Orleans

I drove US 11 back in the mid-90s and agree it is a pretty nice route. Since it's paralleled (but not replaced) by Interstate almost the whole way, there isn't too much reason to improve it (at least that was the case 10 years ago), and for most of it there wasn't much traffic since most people stick to the Interstate.

This summer, it looks like I'll be taking US-52 from the Saskatchewan border to Indiana--too bad you haven't been there yet so I could get a preview...

Sounds like a great drive. I've been on short pieces of it where it multiplexes other US routes, and am definitely looking forward to covering it one of these years. I look forward to hearing about what it is like. US 54 is the other diagonal I'm looking forward to.

Nice Photos! Although, I would have a mutiny on my hands if I stopped every half hour to take a picture.

It helps that my wife originally suggested I take pictures on my trips. I don't think this was really what she expected, but she grins. And my boys (age 6 & 3) have been doing this since they were 4 months old, so they don't know any different.

Nope - Kansas ain't flat!!!!

Yeah, it's amazing how many hills Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. actually have. Although I must say, my biggest shock was driving through central Washington state for the first time (on US 2). I had thought the whole would state look like the coast. NOPE!