American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Fierce Winds On The Columbia River Highway

It has been said that the Columbia River Highway is the first scenic highway to have been built in America. That may be a contested statement, but one only has to drive it once to realize that it is a spectacular road, built deliberately to display and celebrate the magnificent scenery along its length.

The highway, built over the period from 1913 to 1921, links Portland with the east. It follows the spectacular Columbia River gorge along its waterfall embellished southern side. When I traveled parts of it in 1948 it was just the road you took. Today US-84 has replaced it and in a few places despoiled it. But in the intervening years, the old highway has become the Historic Columbia River Highway.

I drove the highway the day after Thanksgiving and did some quick grab shot video footage, which I will here impose on your good nature. It has been edited to about 150 seconds

Some of it is narrated as I shot the scene, but most is not. So that you can enjoy every single second of this worse than amateur effort, let me tell you what you are seeing.

There are two approaches to the Columbia River Highway ...one over the 1912 Sandy River bridge at Troutdale , and the other over the 1914 Stark Street Bridge. You will see both, in that order. Between them is a brief shot of the still standing 1915 era lamp posts and the grounds of the once (1913-192?)Portland Auto Club and auto campground which is just a few feet west of the Stark Street bridge.

Then you will see the view from what in the time of the highway was known as Chanticleer Point. A famous restaurant once existed here, probably frequently buffeted by the winds that rush down the gorge, just as I was. The view is eastward, upriver, with Crown Point in the distance. Sadly, the normally spectacular view of the river is lost in the haze.

Next follows views of Crown Point. We stopped at Crown Point to take the spectacular view from that point, but the wind was so strong I couldn’t push the car door open without risking severing my leg.....or losing the door.....so we didn’t get out.

Next is the lodge at Multnomah Falls, and a shot of the Falls. Then we end with a shot of the often photographed highway snaking down the Rowena Loops.

Obviously, I have left out half a dozen water falls, river overlooks, bridges, old railings and walls, and much more. Those will have to wait for a nicer day! But even on a dismal winter day with near hurricane level wind gusts, and hazy views, it remains among the most spectacular of two lane road trips.

Click HERE for the video.

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

Thanks for the peek. That road tops my list of required side trips when (possibly next summer) I do a Seattle-San Francisco drive. Are you aware that the Historic Columbia River Road was featured in American Road V3N3 with the Rowena Loops on the cover?

Great video - with two advantages; (1) Get to take a short road trip and (2) don't even have to leave my house.

Well, if you can't get there a video is the next best thing!!!! Gonna go over there and check out some of your other video's. :)

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I have often driven the Columbia River Highway, but I never tire of it, and each trip brings another “discovery.” This one was no exception.

About a half mile south of the Sandy River bridge is Tads Chicken n’ Dumplins. In the “old days, in some places the highway was lined with small businesses catering to the traveling public. Nearly all are long gone, so it was a treat to spot Tad’s. The restaurant was closed the day after Thanksgiving, but I marked it in my mind for my next trip along the historic highway.

ARCRHTads.jpg

The sign is under the influence of Tad’s ghost. ;) Tad Johnson established the place in the late 1920’s a bit down river, closer to the first bridge we crossed. Tad himself was known locally as a rascal. He is long gone, but the sign on the south side (in the photo) is only half lit at night. Efforts to repair it have failed. Locals attribute it to Tad pulling off a practical joke. Maybe I’ll visit in the evening and see if I can get a photo of Tad!

In the video there is a brief shot of vintage lamp posts and trees through the bars of a fence. This is an under appreciated site......the Portland Automobile Club campground of 1913- ?.

The Auto Club park, clubhouse and campground is infrequently mentioned today, in part I suppose, because it is in private hands, and probably because it is not in and of itself as spectacular as the river or the falls. Most casual CRH travelers will not appreciate a vintage auto camp, even in relatively unchanged condition. In fact most will pass without even realizing what they are seeing. It isn’t marked or identified in any way, on the site or on modern maps, so it would be easy to miss.

ARCRHMap.jpg

It was easy to imagine the now vacant camp sites filled with auto campers. In the documents and maps of the period, it is referred to as the Portland Auto Club (or Clubhouse). In the National Historical Landmark application for the Columbia River Highway it is cited as a campground and park for members. The photos at the Library of Congress Historic American Engineering Record refer to it as the AAA Auto Park.

It isn’t clear from the documents available to me that the Club’s facilities and campground were open to the general traveling public. An educated guess would be that it was at least open to AAA affiliated traveling guests.

On a cold and windy day in late November, as I peered through the fence, I could easily see in my mind the old cars and happy campers on the tree shaded grounds.. And knowing that the lampposts that lit their way were the ones I was photographing made the experience all the sweeter.

ARCRHBirdseye.jpg

Portland Auto Club Campground, Opened in 1913. (Virtual Earth Birdseye)

ARCRHLamps.jpg

Looking West on Stark St with Lamp Posts and Campground on left (bridge behind me)

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Click HERE for the video.

I enjoyed your video--it's been four years since I'd seen Multnomah Falls. It is a bautiful area.

How do you take the video while you are driving on some of those curves? Do you have the camera mounted or use an assistant? Or are you just highly talented?

Chris

I enjoyed your video--it's been four years since I'd seen Multnomah Falls. It is a bautiful area.

How do you take the video while you are driving on some of those curves? Do you have the camera mounted or use an assistant? Or are you just highly talented?

Chris

Chris,

Some say my driving improves when I look through a viewfinder!! :lol:

No special assiatant, but lots of editing.

It was a horrible day as far as weather went...the worst wind I have ever experienced on Crown Point, and a watery haze. Nonetheless, even as I look at the videos, I am amazed at that road. It has a wonderful history, as you no doubt know.

Denny mentioned he wants to travel it. It is a must do.

Dave

• 1 year later...
Chris,

Some say my driving improves when I look through a viewfinder!! :lol:

No special assiatant, but lots of editing.

It was a horrible day as far as weather went...the worst wind I have ever experienced on Crown Point, and a watery haze. Nonetheless, even as I look at the videos, I am amazed at that road. It has a wonderful history, as you no doubt know.

Denny mentioned he wants to travel it. It is a must do.

Dave

Although I am new to the site. This drive is one I have done in part and very much enjoyed. The road was suppose to be on the Washington side spearheaded by Sam Hill however Washington got cold feet using prision labor and Oregon had no such qualms. There are several sections of abandoned road that is visible from I-84 from Hood River to The Dalles.

That was a great video.

Todd

Although I am new to the site. This drive is one I have done in part and very much enjoyed. The road was suppose to be on the Washington side spearheaded by Sam Hill however Washington got cold feet using prision labor and Oregon had no such qualms. There are several sections of abandoned road that is visible from I-84 from Hood River to The Dalles.

That was a great video.

Todd

Tood,

first let me welcome you to this crew of Two lane road travelers! You obvioulsy have a knowledge of your history and thanks for the interesting facts!

I haven't looked at my video for some time, but even now I get a wind chill remembering that winter day on the Historic Columbia River Highway.

Looking forward to more posts from you!

Dave

[i haven't looked at my video for some time, but even now I get a wind chill remembering that winter day on the Historic Columbia River Highway.

I don't believe I've looked at this since driving the highway myself (and standing beside Dave at the Rowena Loops). It now triggers memories instead of anticipation but it still sounds COLD.

Thanks, Todd, for reminding us of this and welcome to the forum.