American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Roadway Poetry

Ray

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is the proper venue, but I wanted to post a poem I wrote last June. It deals with the thoughts and feelings evoked when I tried to retrace the old routes. I am most familiar with former US 10 from Washington through North Dakota. Much of it lies buried beneath those superslabs we call I-90 and I-94, but stretches of the old two-lane pavment still exist if one has the the patience and fortitude to get off the Interstate and delve into the scenery and history of the former routes.

You can still drive down the main street of Deer Lodge, Montana, with the walls of the former state prison looming overhead from a mere 25 feet away. Follow the switchbacks over the Continental Divide at Pipestone Pass, some 6300 feet above sea level. Farther east, follow Montana SR 2 through the Jefferson River Canyon and see sights that Lewis and Clark viewed more than 200 years ago. Head over to Three Forks and gaze at the headwaters of our longest river, the Missouri. Then follow old 10 through Logan, Manhattan, and Belgrade on your way into Bozeman. Get a feel for the country and the people who live and work there. Experience the Bridger Mountains as you head to Livingston. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to witness a Montana Rail Link train struggling over the same pass with 5000 tons fighting against the screaming diesels. Mosey into the towns; don't just blow past them. Skip the McDonalds' and Burger Kings. Eat at a local diner or cafe.

Much of the route was extant well into the 60s. Whenever I can manage it, I drive the old roads. I look for the drive-ins my dad took us to on our long journeys from Tacoma. Some are still there, some merely exist in my mind. But, I still get the same thrill when I visit all these places. That's what the poem is about.

SEARCHING

Driving down a highway

blurred pictures in my mind.

Struggling ever onward

to leave this life behind.

Mileposts mark my progress,

from town to town I've been.

Golden arches everywhere.

I search for things unseen.

To towns of long ago

on two-lane roads I drive.

Seeking moments that once were,

when hope seemed so alive.

Searching here, looking there;

north, south, then east and west

Doubt I'll ever find it,

Haunted by this hopeless quest.

Another day dawns brightly.

Perhaps those towns I'll find.

But should I fail once again,

It's all within my mind.

Ray Alkofer

Ray,

Excellent!! I agree with Alex! And boy did it spark some recollections, and reactions.

I did a two lane Montana trip a year ago last October....a wonderful, wonderful trip. Tons of great two lane roads!

And your poem captures so much of “the quest,” I should post in on my dashboard.

It is within our minds...and for those of us lucky enough to have collected in our minds both the real and the researched roadsides over the years, it is a rich resource indeed.

But I am a bit more optimistic about the quest than perhaps your poem suggests. At least once every trip I take, I do discover the authentic....it isn’t a hopeless quest. I would change those two lines to “Perhaps one day I’ll find it, Driven by this hope filled quest.” (You can tell I’m no poet!!)

For example, on my most recent trip (last month) I drove to the little town of Paradise Valley, Nevada, drove up main street, and turned right at the end of the street.... and suddenly there was in front of me a 1925 roadside scene (see video here).

It happens every trip, but you have to have the "minds eye" to see it...as you know and say. For me, driving an old road or alignment is like being immersed in a wonderful movie where my mind provides the characters and the plot, and the road, the background and setting.

Here is the garage, hotel, and bar that took me back 80 years...in my mind’s eye.....the reward for SEARCHING!

BTW, Paradise is a great place to visit or stay and well worth the trip.

Great poem. I hope you will do some more!

Keep the Show on the Road!

ARParadise2.jpg

Paradise, Nevada, December 2007

ARParadise1.jpg

Thanks Dave and Alex,

I'm glad you guys enjoyed my poetic efforts. I was hoping I wouldn't end up banned from the Forum. I dabble in poetry now and then, but don't usually toss it out to the masses. I wrote that piece last June as I longed to get out of Dodge, so to speak.

You're absolutely right, Dave. The ending could use a more upbeat approach. I will look into it. At the time it seemed right, but now that I've found this site and forum I'd like to give my piece a more positive feel. The nostalgia comes across a bit too maudlin. That was the feel I wanted when I wrote it, but as I said, here it needs a little more happiness.

When I drive, my emotions run the gamut from sad nostalgia to moments of bright elation. When I was 14 my dad gassed up our '57 Chevy at a Shell station on the east end of Mullan, Idaho. It was a very hot August day and I quenched my thirst with a slushy bottle of Orange Crush straight from the machine in the repair bay. Last summer I found that same station still pumping gas. The pop machine was long gone, but the memories were still fresh. I settled for a frosty Alaskan Amber at the 1313 Club in Wallace.

Yes, Dave, I have access to a digital camera. My wife, Bonny, and I picked it up from Costco as a mutual Christmas gift. We're both learning which buttons to push. After that we'll figure out how to post pictures. My daughter is pretty well-versed in this kind of thing, so we can refer questions to her. She's up in Bellingham now which gives me an excuse to travel Chucknut Drive and stop at one of those oyster shacks along the way.

Once spring and summer arrive I will head north over old Blewett Pass. I've been over that one a couple of times. The Forest Sevice maintains the route during the driving season. I'll be sure to write it up. I have all kinds of plans. Finding this site has motivated me to record what I observe, digging into history whenever I can. I enjoy writing, so this seems an ideal opportunity.

Take care, Dave and Alex.

Ray

quote name='Keep the Show on the Road!' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:11 PM' post='9169']

Ray,

Excellent!! I agree with Alex! And boy did it spark some recollections, and reactions.

I did a two lane Montana trip a year ago last October....a wonderful, wonderful trip. Tons of great two lane roads!

And your poem captures so much of “the quest,” I should post in on my dashboard.

It is within our minds...and for those of us lucky enough to have collected in our minds both the real and the researched roadsides over the years, it is a rich resource indeed.

But I am a bit more optimistic about the quest than perhaps your poem suggests. At least once every trip I take, I do discover the authentic....it isn’t a hopeless quest. I would change those two lines to “Perhaps one day I’ll find it, Driven by this hope filled quest.” (You can tell I’m no poet!!)

For example, on my most recent trip (last month) I drove to the little town of Paradise Valley, Nevada, drove up main street, and turned right at the end of the street.... and suddenly there was in front of me a 1925 roadside scene (see video here).

It happens every trip, but you have to have the "minds eye" to see it...as you know and say. For me, driving an old road or alignment is like being immersed in a wonderful movie where my mind provides the characters and the plot, and the road, the background and setting.

I’ll post the video when I get a chance, but here is the garage, hotel, and bar that took me back 80 years...in my mind’s eye.....the reward for SEARCHING!

BTW, Paradise is a great place to visit or stay and well worth the trip.

Great poem. I hope you will do some more!

ARParadise2.jpg

Paradise, Nevada, December 2007

ARParadise1.jpg

Hi Dave,

I forgot to comment on your recently posted photos of Paradise, Nevada. I realize you were down there in December, but the snow lying on the ground surprised me. I picture Nevada in a very stereotypical way--lots of sand and heat. But then, I've never been there. My sources of information have been limited to old TV westerns and shows featuring Las Vegas.

The pictures reminded me of Shaniko, Oregon, where US 97 makes a 90 degree turn to the west as it goes through the town. The buildings are about the same age as the ones you snapped in Nevada. I particularly like the second picture which gives a good view of the road turning sharply. Thanks for posting these.

Ray

Hi Dave,

I forgot to comment on your recently posted photos of Paradise, Nevada. I realize you were down there in December, but the snow lying on the ground surprised me. I picture Nevada in a very stereotypical way--lots of sand and heat. But then, I've never been there. My sources of information have been limited to old TV westerns and shows featuring Las Vegas.

The pictures reminded me of Shaniko, Oregon, where US 97 makes a 90 degree turn to the west as it goes through the town. The buildings are about the same age as the ones you snapped in Nevada. I particularly like the second picture which gives a good view of the road turning sharply. Thanks for posting these.

Ray

Ray,

You definitely share a common perspective with many of us here!

I intend to go over old Blewett ASAP, but obviously not until this spring or summer. I keep putting it off. I have some old black and white real photo post cards of it around here in one of my stacks. Your mention of it gets my travel juices going!

And what about Shaniko!!! I was there a couple of times in the past 6 months. I first was there in the mid 1960’s and remember it well back then. At that time, the old hotel was occupied by low income retired folks from the area.

One of the “characters” of the town was the “sheriff” who was a little “slow” and quite old, but very congenial and ready to share his stories. The hotel served a family style lunch where everyone sat at one big table and passed around the mashed potatoes and lamb.

My more recent visits were not spoiled by the new “souvenir” type stores and the fact that the hotel is closed. The village still has character...but it is now best visited between October and April.

Have you ever followed the old stage and wagon roads of that area? There is one that comes up from Sherar’s Bridge, through Bakeoven into Shaniko. And I was along the one up Cow Canyon just a few weeks ago.

North Central Oregon is one of my favorite areas....Kent, Dufur, Antelope, Tygh Valley, Wasco, Grass Valley, Moro.....all neat places, and mostly unspoiled. I don’t suppose you made it to Klondike before the old store and school disappeared.

Mastering digital photography can be daunting...but worth the effort. There are many folks here ready to “coach” a new user.

Hi Dave,

As the females under 30 would say, "Omagawd!" I met the Shaniko sheriff in 1972 on our way back from an Easter visit at my sister-in-law's place in Modesto. The seven of us were looking around in the old hotel and up he walked, pointing at his badge prominently displayed above his left breast pocket. In no uncertain terms he said, "I'm the sheriff around these parts. If you have any questions just let me know." He was a real character, only he wasn't acting. Apparently the title, badge, and duties had been bestowed upon him and he relished the task.

As for the dirt trails and roads, I haven't been off the pavement of US 97. We have stopped in Shaniko several times since then, but have never again seen the sheriff. By now I suspect he's long gone, at least physically. There are undoubtedly a great many people who remember him. My wife and I always mention that meeting we had whenever we drive through or stop. There used to be a rail spur into Shaniko to serve the sheep business. It's long gone as well. I seem to work in the mention of a railroad in a lot of my posts. They fascinate me as much as the two lane roads.

I've been down through Moro, Wasco, Dufur, et al several times. Compared to the eastern half of Oregon, Washington's dry side is a burgeoning metropolis. With the exception of Bend, there isn't a truly sizable town in Oregon's High Desert. You get into the middle of nowhere in a real hurry. I enjoy that run on US 97 though. Once Weed is reached you're back on I-5 along with everybody and his brother. Beyond Weed I don't know if one can pick up old 97. I'm not even sure it existed south of there.

I'll be sure to holler for help if I can't figure out how to feed pictures into my computer. Notice I said "feed". I really don't know if I'm downloading or uploading, so I just feed.

Well, have a good evening, Dave.

Ray