American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

56 Houses Left

mobilene

I came across this blog today by a woman who grew up in a neighborhood that has been demolished over time to make way for an airport runway. When the 2,000 homes dwindled to 56, she started photographing the area. Looking over her site, which links to a large pool of Flickr photos, gave me a similar feeling to what I experience on an abandoned alignment: People used to use this, but now they don't or can't. It's disturbing to see streets and sidewalks running through houseless neighborhoods. You can take a peek at the link below.

http://56housesleft.wordpress.com/

I came across this blog today by a woman who grew up in a neighborhood that has been demolished over time to make way for an airport runway. When the 2,000 homes dwindled to 56, she started photographing the area. Looking over her site, which links to a large pool of Flickr photos, gave me a similar feeling to what I experience on an abandoned alignment: People used to use this, but now they don't or can't. It's disturbing to see streets and sidewalks running through houseless neighborhoods. You can take a peek at the link below.

http://56housesleft.wordpress.com/

I can't imagine the emotions that I would be going through if I had to watch the neighborhood I grew up in beings torn down house by house. That would be rough. They looked like nice, middle class, suberb type homes too.

I know what you mean Mobilene about that feeling you get driving down an abandoned alignment. I get that same feeling. Do you ever see an abandoned house along one of those routes and wonder what life was like inside it? Who lived there? Were their lives relatively easy or a struggle for survival? Why did the people who lived there leave?

Roadhound

I can't imagine the emotions that I would be going through if I had to watch the neighborhood I grew up in beings torn down house by house. That would be rough. They looked like nice, middle class, suberb type homes too.

Those houses look a lot like the houses in my neighborhood, actually. I can't imagine watching my childhood neighborhood be demolished, either. The one I lived in until I was 9 is such a shambles now that I may live to see it go, however. These were 1950 starter homes, basic pre-fab units, and now they're all rentals that get no care.

Do you ever see an abandoned house along one of those routes and wonder what life was like inside it? Who lived there? Were their lives relatively easy or a struggle for survival? Why did the people who lived there leave?

I imagine more the lifestyle from the day the old or abandoned alignment was in use. When I found the old cement alignments of State Road 37 on my trip last spring, I was excited to think about the people automobobling in their merry Oldsmobiles, etc., along the route, and about the slower pace of highway travel in that day. What did they encounter as they stopped in the small towns? Did they pack a lunch for the trip or did they stop at a tavern? There hasn't been too much in the way of abandoned houses in my travels. I wonder why.

I can drive an old alignment today and with almost no conscious effort, I can often reconstruct in my mind’s eye the scene of 50 or even 100 years ago. That comes from 50 plus years of experiences, reading, looking at old photos, and enjoying road maps and road descriptions.

I am hungry to find old road photos. I put Shorpy.com in my feed reader not just because it's interesting, but because it sometimes shows photos of cars and/or the road. One of these days, I'll scour that Lincoln Highway archive online. I keep hoping to stumble upon caches of Indiana photos. You know what's funny? If I never do Route 66 I'll be fine. I'd rather explore in my own stomping grounds. I am endlessly fascinated with the way things used to be.

I am currently writing up my US 31 trip from September. I probably have 4-8 hours more work to go. My ABBs send people bound for Indianapolis down Westfield Blvd, through the former town of Nora, through the former town of Broad Ripple, along the canal, and then down Meridian St (US 31). I wondered why until the other day when I found a 191x map of the county that shows that Meridian St. goes no farther north than the canal. My mind raced: Why? When did Meridian St. get built farther north? Was is part of building US 31?

I have noticed that I am becoming increasingly interested in architecture. This is not because I love old buildings, but because this knowledge helps me date a road.

Dave, I've already started to surprise (or bore) my passengers with the details I do know. But as long as there's more for me to learn, I will find this all utterly fascinating.

Along with the lore of the old roads, I urge you to read local histories, especially of the communities you travel through. They often describe the early roads, so they are interesting for that alone. But what will creep up on you is the character of life in the period of the history.

The character of life is what I really want to learn. Building foundations, abandoned alignments of various pavement materials, etc., prove that the past is real. But to transport into the past, as you describe, clearly knowledge of life then is the key.

And another suggestion...buy a Sears (or similar) catalog for each ten year period say between 1900 and 1950 or 1960. Look at the clothing, household goods, “technologies,” auto and wagon supplies, etc.

Then when you see an abandoned house along an old alignment, you can fill in the blanks with pictures in your mind of the lives that may have been lived there.

What a great idea. Many trappings of society gone by are available every day on eBay. This is a fabulous time to have this hobby; so much is available for the taking (or bidding).

jim

Boy, you guys are getting downright melancholy! But I understand and appreciate your comments. As the ole guy, let me add to that perspective.

I can drive an old alignment today and with almost no conscious effort, I can often reconstruct in my mind’s eye the scene of 50 or even 100 years ago. That comes from 50 plus years of experiences, reading, looking at old photos, and enjoying road maps and road descriptions.

What the two of you can look forward to have, earlier in life than I did, is a treasure trove of insights and knowledge, almost without realizing it, that makes every old road a wonderful adventure...almost like going to a good movie.

I don’t even recognize that I have that “ability” until I travel with friends who lack my interests, and they are amazed at the stories the road and the setting tell. I was recently on an old alignment with my son, and we stopped beside some tall cottonwoods.

“Why are we stopping here?” he asked.

“Andrew, do you see that foundation across the road from the cottonwoods? It was once a gas station. And notice that pipe and rocks under the cottonwoods...there was a water fountain there. Travelers in the teens and 20’s pulled in under the cottonwoods to cool and fill their radiators from the fountain. Look up the hill a little and you will see the spring that made this site attractive as a stage stop even before the automobile came.”

The little scene along the road now had meaning, and as we drove on we discussed how the old stage routes had formed, and where the early auto travelers stayed, and what they carried with them for a trip along muddy, rocky, or sandy roads...etc.

The two or you already have the interest and the skills, and much of the mind’s treasure trove. Almost without realizing it, you will discover that you can step into the past while traveling in the present.

Along with the lore of the old roads, I urge you to read local histories, especially of the communities you travel through. They often describe the early roads, so they are interesting for that alone. But what will creep up on you is the character of life in the period of the history.

I also think old newspapers are good, and many are free on line. I have a year’s run of our local Olympia newspaper from 1911, and it is great fun to follow the arguments for n against grading and paving the main road, or the excitement that an aeroplane will come to the area in a few weeks!

And another suggestion...buy a Sears (or similar) catalog for each ten year period say between 1900 and 1950 or 1960. Look at the clothing, household goods, “technologies,” auto and wagon supplies, etc.

Then when you see an abandoned house along an old alignment, you can fill in the blanks with pictures in your mind of the lives that may have been lived there.

Happy travels, you lucky guys!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

• 2 months later...
Boy, you guys are getting downright melancholy! But I understand and appreciate your comments. As the ole guy, let me add to that perspective.

What the two of you can look forward to have, earlier in life than I did, is a treasure trove of insights and knowledge, almost without realizing it, that makes every old road a wonderful adventure...almost like going to a good movie.

I don’t even recognize that I have that “ability” until I travel with friends who lack my interests, and they are amazed at the stories the road and the setting tell. I was recently on an old alignment with my son, and we stopped beside some tall cottonwoods.

“Why are we stopping here?” he asked.

“Andrew, do you see that foundation across the road from the cottonwoods? It was once a gas station. And notice that pipe and rocks under the cottonwoods...there was a water fountain there. Travelers in the teens and 20’s pulled in under the cottonwoods to cool and fill their radiators from the fountain. Look up the hill a little and you will see the spring that made this site attractive as a stage stop even before the automobile came.”

The little scene along the road now had meaning, and as we drove on we discussed how the old stage routes had formed, and where the early auto travelers stayed, and what they carried with them for a trip along muddy, rocky, or sandy roads...etc.

The two or you already have the interest and the skills, and much of the mind’s treasure trove. Almost without realizing it, you will discover that you can step into the past while traveling in the present.

I also think old newspapers are good, and many are free on line. I have a year’s run of our local Olympia newspaper from 1911, and it is great fun to follow the arguments for n against grading and paving the main road, or the excitement that an aeroplane will come to the area in a few weeks!

Happy travels, you lucky guys!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Until I ran across this now somewhat older post I thought I was the only person who could look at the ruins along the old roads and paint a mental picture of what was happening there 40, 50, 60, or 70 years ago. It can get real spooky for me when it happens along a stretch of now almost abandoned roads like parts of Route 66 traveled with parents when a child. Not only do I see the buildings no longer there but people going in and out, cars in the parking lots, and music heard on the radio at the time plays in the head. Being a collector of recording music one such occurrence lead me to go searching for a copy of a song recorded in 1948. After years and years of searching I finally came up with a copy a few days ago. Sometimes visions in the mind are a blessing, sometimes I think they may be a curse.

Jim