American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

"The Mother Road" on PBS

I don't know if this will be showing on all PBS stations, but Thursday night the Indy PBS station will be showing "The Mother Road" at 10pm Eastern. The description from the WFYI web site describes it as follows:

Mother Road

This film celebrates Route 66, from Chicago to Los Angeles, where the filmmaker, Lauren Cardillo along with her 80 year old mother, Irene take the roadtrip of their lives in a Mustang convertible. Shot over three weeks, the program spans eight states, three time zones, and more than 2400 miles, discovering fascinating people along the way, while capturing the nostalgia of the infamous highway. Viewers will see the start of Route 66 in Chicago; Ted Drewes' ice cream stand and the Red Cedar Inn in Missouri; the Ribbon Road, the Blue Whale and the Coleman Theatre in Oklahoma; the Cadillac Ranch in Texas; the Jackalope and Tucumcari in New Mexico; the Jack Rabbit Trading Post, Oatman and the Grand Canyon in Arizona; and the end of the pavement on the California coast in Santa Monica.

Pat B.

I checked my local TV guide for PBS station channel 9 and there is no listing for this 66 program. Perhaps at a later date.

Speaking of TV, tonight's Rams/Colts preseason game is blacked out locally because the Dome wasn't sold out by the designated time. And still isn't, even though the Rams are on an "I believe" kick to garner stronger local team support for the new coaches and "new" team. Probably just as well that we local fans can't see the game because it will probably be ugly. But how about a big frosty one on the results anyway, Pat?....Bliss

I don't know if this will be showing on all PBS stations, but Thursday night the Indy PBS station will be showing "The Mother Road" at 10pm Eastern. The description from the WFYI web site describes it as follows:

Mother Road

This film celebrates Route 66, from Chicago to Los Angeles, where the filmmaker, Lauren Cardillo along with her 80 year old mother, Irene take the roadtrip of their lives in a Mustang convertible. Shot over three weeks, the program spans eight states, three time zones, and more than 2400 miles, discovering fascinating people along the way, while capturing the nostalgia of the infamous highway. Viewers will see the start of Route 66 in Chicago; Ted Drewes' ice cream stand and the Red Cedar Inn in Missouri; the Ribbon Road, the Blue Whale and the Coleman Theatre in Oklahoma; the Cadillac Ranch in Texas; the Jackalope and Tucumcari in New Mexico; the Jack Rabbit Trading Post, Oatman and the Grand Canyon in Arizona; and the end of the pavement on the California coast in Santa Monica.

Pat B.

Speaking of TV, tonight's Rams/Colts preseason game is blacked out locally because the Dome wasn't sold out by the designated time. And still isn't, even though the Rams are on an "I believe" kick to garner stronger local team support for the new coaches and "new" team. Probably just as well that we local fans can't see the game because it will probably be ugly. But how about a big frosty one on the results anyway, Pat?....Bliss

It'll be on TV here, if you want to make the 4 hour drive past the Dome and up to Indy to watch the game with us. :lol:

Just as I suspected: a very ugly game with Indy scoring within the first coupla minutes. Might have been 100 to zip if Manning had stayed in the game. The frosty one is on me whenever we cross paths again....Bliss

It'll be on TV here, if you want to make the 4 hour drive past the Dome and up to Indy to watch the game with us. :lol:

Mother Road

Pat B.

We watched the show last night and it was interesting. It was not a Route 66 documentary, but rather (for lack of a better description) a professional version of a vacation video. That's not a bad thing by any means! Most of us have (or have seen) every Route 66 documentary available, and those are great too. But this one was just like traveling along with these two ladies and sharing in their adventures, and also their Italian-family bickering, which I found particularly amusing. I don't think I'd come out of a 2,448 mile trip with my mom as mentally intact as the filmmaker did! :lol:

An interesting note about this show is that it was somewhat dated. I didn't catch it at first, but I as they crossed the Rainbow Marsh Arch Bridge, it was obviousl - it hadn't been painted! They also visited the Red Cedar Inn, but I think they showed that out of sequence, because I would have noticed that first (that or I was too tired to notice!).

It was good anyway, certainly worth an hour of anyone's time!

• 2 weeks later...

WTTW PBS in Chicago will have it on Thursday, 8-24 at 8 PM Central and Sunday, 8-27, at 3 AM. I'll be recording it as I'll be out at Lincoln Highway for Dekalb, Illinois' Cornfest and Rochelle's Lincoln Highway Heritage Festival.