American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Name This Nebraska Site

This is a photo that I took at a famous Nebraska landmark. There is a state highway running across the middle of the frame, coming in from the left and vanishing in a pass between the cliffs. Name the landmark, provide the number of the Nebraska state highway, and preferably the latitude and longitude where the photo was taken.

This one might be easy, but I can give more hints if it is too difficult.

You should be able to click for a larger image.

Chris

med_gallery_3329_28_64177.jpg

This is a photo that I took at a famous Nebraska landmark. There is a state highway running across the middle of the frame, coming in from the left and vanishing in a pass between the cliffs. Name the landmark, provide the number of the Nebraska state highway, and preferably the latitude and longitude where the photo was taken.

This one might be easy, but I can give more hints if it is too difficult.

You should be able to click for a larger image.

Chris

med_gallery_3329_28_64177.jpg

Chris,

I’m thinking this must be a site along the old Oregon Trail..but iI don't think it is Chimney Rock nor Scott's Bluff...so I continue to search..

Keep the Show om the Road! Dave

This is Scotts Bluff, the closest town being Gering, NE, in the County of Scotts Bluff, near the town of Scottsbluff., in the Nebraska Panhandle. Most times of the year, you can drive up to the top of the Bluff!

(Yes, they are inconsistent in the spellings!)

Oops. The State Highway in Nebraska 92 running west from Gering.

This is Scotts Bluff, the closest town being Gering, NE, in the County of Scotts Bluff, near the town of Scottsbluff., in the Nebraska Panhandle. Most times of the year, you can drive up to the top of the Bluff!

Oops. The State Highway in Nebraska 92 running west from Gering.

You got it, Larry. I took the photo from a nice view point within the park at 41.835,-103.700 looking southwest, where you can see the park entrance and visitor center off of Nebraska 92. I love the arc in the park road and how it curves up into the tunnel that gets you to the back of the ridge to make the rest of the ascent up Scotts Bluff. It was named for Hiram Scott whose skeleton was found there about the 1830s--kind of a mystery as to what really happened to him.

Chris

Close by is another historical attraction, Robidoux Pass, which was on the Oregon Trail.

Location: Two miles south of Gering on NE Highway 71, then 8 miles west on Cedar Canyon Road.

Website for more info: Robidoux Pass & Trading Post

Of course if one is traveling west on Nebraska 92 (close to US 26) toward the city of Scottsbluff, you'll also see Courthouse Rock and Jail Rock on the south side of Nebraska 92. These unusual rock formations were 2 of the first ""road signs"" met by westward travelers. Open year-round during daylight hours.

Directions: 5 mi. S. of Bridgeport on NE Hwy 88.

Courthouse Rock & Jail Rock

You can continue on west on NE 88 and have a nice "side-trip" through the Wildcat Hills via NE 71 on the way back north to NE 92 and US 26 at Scottsbluff/Gering. Wildcat Hills

Lastly, for now, near Bayard, NE, is the famous Chimney Rock.

Chimney Rock

Location from Bayard: 4 mi. S., 1 mi. S. of Jct of NE Hwy 92 & US Hwy 26

(I know I'm sounding like a spokesperson for Western NE tourism. I am but not a paid one. In another lifetime, I used to travel on business all over Nebraska and I loved seeing the sights..and sites!)

I suppose you know, Chris, but every now and again, part of Scotts Bluff "landslides" down onto the summit road. The State usually clears it fairly quickly, but the Monument IS softer rock which is eroding away. I'm also not certain that they keep the summit road open during the snowy season, but I haven't visited for some years, and am not sure on that anymore.

Larry

...I love the arc in the park road and how it curves up into the tunnel that gets you to the back of the ridge to make the rest of the ascent up Scotts Bluff...

Chris

Close by is another historical attraction, Robidoux Pass, which was on the Oregon Trail.

Location: Two miles south of Gering on NE Highway 71, then 8 miles west on Cedar Canyon Road.

Website for more info: Robidoux Pass & Trading Post

Of course if one is traveling west on Nebraska 92 (close to US 26) toward the city of Scottsbluff, you'll also see Courthouse Rock and Jail Rock on the south side of Nebraska 92. These unusual rock formations were 2 of the first ""road signs"" met by westward travelers. Open year-round during daylight hours.

Directions: 5 mi. S. of Bridgeport on NE Hwy 88.

Courthouse Rock & Jail Rock

You can continue on west on NE 88 and have a nice "side-trip" through the Wildcat Hills via NE 71 on the way back north to NE 92 and US 26 at Scottsbluff/Gering. Wildcat Hills

Lastly, for now, near Bayard, NE, is the famous Chimney Rock.

Chimney Rock

Location from Bayard: 4 mi. S., 1 mi. S. of Jct of NE Hwy 92 & US Hwy 26

(I know I'm sounding like a spokesperson for Western NE tourism. I am but not a paid one. In another lifetime, I used to travel on business all over Nebraska and I loved seeing the sights..and sites!)

I suppose you know, Chris, but every now and again, part of Scotts Bluff "landslides" down onto the summit road. The State usually clears it fairly quickly, but the Monument IS softer rock which is eroding away. I'm also not certain that they keep the summit road open during the snowy season, but I haven't visited for some years, and am not sure on that anymore.

Larry

Larry,

Yeh...tell me about it! B) I checked each of those in my Oregon Trail books and on Virtual Earth. But somehow I misinterpreted the image of Scott's Bluff. I knew it was a race against time, because once you spotted the photo, it was all over for me! :lol:

Congratulations!

BTW, I picked up a TIB for Nebraska the other day. If I can copy some of the maps without ruining the binding, I'll post them. Are there any specific roads of interest to you and yours (the Lincoln of course).

Have a great Christmas!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Dave, Other than the Lincoln Highway, my other favorite road in Nebraska is Nebraska Highway 2, which runs from Grand Island (OK, really I-80 at Phillips) NW across the Nebraska Sand Hills, a great way to head for either the Black Hills or Devil's Tower and Yellowstone. And don't miss Carhenge near Alliance, Nebraska!

Larry

Larry,

Yeh...tell me about it! B) I checked each of those in my Oregon Trail books and on Virtual Earth. But somehow I misinterpreted the image of Scott's Bluff. I knew it was a race against time, because once you spotted the photo, it was all over for me! :lol:

Congratulations!

BTW, I picked up a TIB for Nebraska the other day. If I can copy some of the maps without ruining the binding, I'll post them. Are there any specific roads of interest to you and yours (the Lincoln of course).

Have a great Christmas!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Here's an even better, "touristy" link for Nebraska Highway 2.

Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway

Dave, Other than the Lincoln Highway, my other favorite road in Nebraska is Nebraska Highway 2, which runs from Grand Island (OK, really I-80 at Phillips) NW across the Nebraska Sand Hills, a great way to head for either the Black Hills or Devil's Tower and Yellowstone. And don't miss Carhenge near Alliance, Nebraska!

Larry