American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

The Oldest Speed Warning Sign I've Ever Seen

cbustapeck

1739864396_1c8486778a_m.jpg

I photographed this sign on an older National Road alignment, on the west side of Sideling Hill, in Maryland a while ago, and I've been wondering what it was ever since. I assumed that it was probably an advertisement for some sort of service station, but it was so rusted as to be unidentifiable.

Recently, I've been doing some research in the old Maryland State Roads Commission reports. I came across some warning signs, and I came to realize that that's what this is - a speed warning sign, cautioning motorists about an upcoming curve. The sign, to the best of my ability to tell, is from the 1920s.

1739864396_1c8486778a_m.jpg

I photographed this sign on an older National Road alignment, on the west side of Sideling Hill, in Maryland a while ago, and I've been wondering what it was ever since. I assumed that it was probably an advertisement for some sort of service station, but it was so rusted as to be unidentifiable.

Recently, I've been doing some research in the old Maryland State Roads Commission reports. I came across some warning signs, and I came to realize that that's what this is - a speed warning sign, cautioning motorists about an upcoming curve. The sign, to the best of my ability to tell, is from the 1920s.

Cbustapeck.

Assuming it is from the 1920's, that is one amazing find! Thanks for sharing it!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Chris,

It's astonishing that the sign still stands, mangled as it is!

How are you doing your research in those Maryland State Roads Commission reports? Hardcopy of Internet? If hardcopy, how do you get access to them?

I'd love to look back through historical records in Indiana, but don't have the first clue how to start.

jim

Chris,

It's astonishing that the sign still stands, mangled as it is!

How are you doing your research in those Maryland State Roads Commission reports? Hardcopy of Internet? If hardcopy, how do you get access to them?

I'd love to look back through historical records in Indiana, but don't have the first clue how to start.

jim

Jim,

I came across them in the Maryland Department of the public library where I work, in Baltimore. I was so surprised by the wealth of information in them that I can't believe that I didn't look at them sooner. They're especially good for depicting old alignments, as the Commission was proud to show off the great work that they'd done with making the roads safter by straightening them out.

Annual report of the State Highway Commission of the State of Indiana

Indiana University has the closest thing to a complete run that I've been able to find (call number HE356.I6 I633), but, of course, I haven't actually called anyone up to talk to them to confirm this.

Once you get through those, I'm guessing that there'll probably be a whole bunch of boring and relatively useless stuff in the same area of the shelf about the construction of roads in the state, environmental impact studies, and perhaps even proposals for road plans through a given area. A librarian there ought to be able to help you more than I can.

-----------

Alas, I'm not going to be able to take a better shot of the sign anytime soon. I'm driving up to Ohio on Friday morning to view the house of our (my wife and my) dreams and spend Christmas with my side of the family.

But hopefully, I'll be able to get a scan of the image of a similar sign up before too long.

Chris, thanks for the tip about the IU library! And you even gave me the right call number. Now I just have to make time to go. jim

Jim,

Let me know how it goes. If you need additional research help, let me know - I'll see what I can dig up.

Christopher