American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Name This Road Site.

This is a landmark along a highway in Wyoming. Name it, and provide the location and name or number of the highway, and preferably the latitude and longitude.

I think perhaps you're asking a little too much on this one... I'm assuming that's a river on the left and there's a big rock. Maybe a town on the left side where the road goes to a vanishing point?

Unfortunately, most maps and aerial photos won't be helpful in finding that rock configuration. It's also such a small piece of road, that I'm not sure how to track it down.

Do you have any clues at all to help narrow down what part of Wyoming this might be? Right now this seems impossible.

Chris

I think perhaps you're asking a little too much on this one... I'm assuming that's a river on the left and there's a big rock. Maybe a town on the left side where the road goes to a vanishing point?

Unfortunately, most maps and aerial photos won't be helpful in finding that rock configuration. It's also such a small piece of road, that I'm not sure how to track it down.

Do you have any clues at all to help narrow down what part of Wyoming this might be? Right now this seems impossible.

Chris

Chris,

I guess you are right! Wyoming is a big state, with lots of rocks, and rivers, not to mention roads! Try following the Lincoln Highway. That should narrow it down

By the way, if you think there might be some interest in “Identify the Site” share a few thoughts about how to set it up. I, for example, have a few duplicate maps and guides that are semi valuable that could be prizes......just pondering....

Keep the Show on the Road! Dave

My first guess would have been that it was somewhere along US 14, 16 & 20 between Cody and Yellowstone, but your clue makes it pretty clear that was wrong. My second guess is somewhere in the Rock Springs area, but I have to admit, if I drove by it in the past, I don't remember it.

As far as having a regular "Name that site" feature, I think that would be a lot of fun. My recommendation would be post the picture (or other clue) one day, and then give hints each day until someone gets it. In general, the hints should require some kind of road knowledge to be useful (like your hint on this one). While I certainly wouldn't complain about winning a map or something, I don't think it's really necessary to have a formal prize. For most of us, just taking the challenge and being able to show that you know your stuff is reward enough.

My first guess would have been that it was somewhere along US 14, 16 & 20 between Cody and Yellowstone, but your clue makes it pretty clear that was wrong. My second guess is somewhere in the Rock Springs area, but I have to admit, if I drove by it in the past, I don't remember it.

As far as having a regular "Name that site" feature, I think that would be a lot of fun. My recommendation would be post the picture (or other clue) one day, and then give hints each day until someone gets it. In general, the hints should require some kind of road knowledge to be useful (like your hint on this one). While I certainly wouldn't complain about winning a map or something, I don't think it's really necessary to have a formal prize. For most of us, just taking the challenge and being able to show that you know your stuff is reward enough.

usroadman,

Excellent suggestions!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Keep, The hills look a lot like those near Green River? Am I close?

I'm going by memory having driven through there once 3 years ago. We ate at a Taco Time in Green River that caused gastronomical distress for us all. It was the first place were I saw Tater Tots referred to as Mexican Fries.

Roadhound

Keep, The hills look a lot like those near Green River? Am I close?

I'm going by memory having driven through there once 3 years ago. We ate at a Taco Time in Green River that caused gastronomical distress for us all. It was the first place were I saw Tater Tots referred to as Mexican Fries.

Roadhound

Roadhound,

Good memory...that is the Green River...and the key question is what is the name of the rock (and/ or the coordinates)?

Good memory...that is the Green River...and the key question is what is the name of the rock (and/ or the coordinates)?

This is Tollgate Rock, probably taken in the 1930's. I'd say that the photographer was standing at 41.539, -109.482, shooting the photo NNW.

I did find a more recent photo from almost the same spot:

green_river_rocks.jpg

I should have guessed Green River earlier... we drove right by that rock last summer on our Wyoming trip, and my wife and I were married in Green River in 1995. Her family lived just down the road in Rock Springs at the time. That's really the only region of Wyoming I'm much familiar with, being a Hoosier.

Thanks for the challenge!

Chris

Edited by Chris Rowland

This is Tollgate Rock, probably taken in the 1930's. I'd say that the photographer was standing at 41.539, -109.482, shooting the photo NNW.

I did find a more recent photo from almost the same spot:

green_river_rocks.jpg

I should have guessed Green River earlier... we drove right by that rock last summer on our Wyoming trip, and my wife and I were married in Green River in 1995. Her family lived just down the road in Rock Springs at the time. That's really the only region of Wyoming I'm much familiar with, being a Hoosier.

Thanks for the challenge!

Chris

Chris,

It would be pretty hard to argue that ID!!!

Roadhound also spotted it on the dusk jacket of Brian Butko's "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway." I had removed the dusk jacket and set it aside, so I didn't notice it!!

After Christmas I'll see what else i can dig up to challenge your road knowledge.

Dave

Chris,

It would be pretty hard to argue that ID!!!

Roadhound also spotted it on the dusk jacket of Brian Butko's "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway." I had removed the dusk jacket and set it aside, so I didn't notice it!!

After Christmas I'll see what else i can dig up to challenge your road knowledge.

Dave

Wow, I never saw that color postcard but it looks identical to the shot I took decades later for the book cover. (Just off camera is my family in a rental minivan hoping I or they don't get flattened - for the 300th time that day.)

I've run some Mystery postcards and photos on the LH blog. Here's one that has not yet been id'd:

http://brianbutko.wordpress.com/2007/12/10...filling-station

Brian

http://www.brianbutko.com

http://www.lincolnhighwaynews.com

Wow, I never saw that color postcard but it looks identical to the shot I took decades later for the book cover. (Just off camera is my family in a rental minivan hoping I or they don't get flattened - for the 300th time that day.)

I've run some Mystery postcards and photos on the LH blog. Here's one that has not yet been id'd:

http://brianbutko.wordpress.com/2007/12/10...filling-station

Brian

http://www.brianbutko.com

http://www.lincolnhighwaynews.com

Brian,

I think that is the station near Sutherland.

Never been there, but it is in the historical inventory of Lincoln County, NE.

BTW, Your blog is great!

Have a great Christmas!

Dave

Never been there, but it is in the historical inventory of Lincoln County, NE.

Dave

Dave, how did you ever do that? I am amazed that you could look at that building and figure out where it was. I did find the reference you were referring to and put it here so we could all see it.

gallery_3329_28_3364.jpg

This photo from the inventory looks like a train behind the station--I tried looking at the satellite photos of the Sutherland area and couldn't quite place it. It's a pretty small building under a tree, so it might be impossible to spot.

Chris

Edited by Chris Rowland

Dave, how did you ever do that? I am amazed that you could look at that building and figure out where it was. I did find the reference you were referring to and put it here so we could all see it.

gallery_3329_28_3364.jpg

This photo from the inventory looks like a train behind the station--I tried looking at the satellite photos of the Sutherland area and couldn't quite place it. It's a pretty small building under a tree, so it might be impossible to spot.

Chris

Chris,

RoadDog had identified the site as in Nebraska, and after that it was simply “enter the search terms”, and get da** lucky that the inventory was on line, was indexed, and had a photo!

But you see that my luck didn’t hold on the Scotts Bluff ID. I blame that on laziness because I suspected Scotts Bluff and did a search in Virtual Earth...but what showed up didn’t match, so I moved on...apparently prematurely. I have been looking at every bluff or pillar in Nebraska, Courthouse Rock, Jail Rock Steamboat this and that...

I’m glad Larry F ID’d it or I would have been up until 3AM.

My son has come to visit for the holidays so I will probably be on a sidetrack for a few days.

Brian and Chris,.....thanks for the fun and Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I should have known this. In my many travels in Nebraska, I've driven by this more times than I care to count!

Thanks for the memories!

Larry