American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Greetings From The Lincoln Highway

I have been reading Brian Butko’s book Greetings from the Lincoln Highway. I don’t do book reviews, but I have to urge you to buy it, for yourself or a friend.

This is not a book to gulp down in a few sittings. If you have any fondness for the old auto trails, and heritage travel, you will sip it a few pages at a time. It is so rich in detail and description, it is like actually taking the trip across country yourself. This book travels with me around the house...from beside my easy chair, to beside the bed, and elsewhere. It is the first thing I pick up on the way to the “throne room” in the morning, and the last thing I put down at night before turning off the lights.

It is the cure for insomnia, not because it puts you to sleep, but because it takes you away from your stressful day and lands you gently on the road, experiencing it as you might have. Your mind is cleared of the tensions and worries of the day and you join the travelers of the past and present as they follow the Father Road. I know I will regret when I turn the last page and the journey ends.

I know it is available at the American Road store, and I urge you to buy it there if possible, if for no other reason than to thank the folks who keep this forum up and running.

And Brian...I only regret I didn’t read it when it first came out. Thanks for a terrific road trip!

Keep the Show on the Road! Dave

I have been reading Brian Butko’s book Greetings from the Lincoln Highway. I don’t do book reviews, but I have to urge you to buy it, for yourself or a friend.

This is not a book to gulp down in a few sittings. If you have any fondness for the old auto trails, and heritage travel, you will sip it a few pages at a time. It is so rich in detail and description, it is like actually taking the trip across country yourself. This book travels with me around the house...from beside my easy chair, to beside the bed, and elsewhere. It is the first thing I pick up on the way to the “throne room” in the morning, and the last thing I put down at night before turning off the lights.

It is the cure for insomnia, not because it puts you to sleep, but because it takes you away from your stressful day and lands you gently on the road, experiencing it as you might have. Your mind is cleared of the tensions and worries of the day and you join the travelers of the past and present as they follow the Father Road. I know I will regret when I turn the last page and the journey ends.

I know it is available at the American Road store, and I urge you to buy it there if possible, if for no other reason than to thank the folks who keep this forum up and running.

And Brian...I only regret I didn’t read it when it first came out. Thanks for a terrific road trip!

Keep the Show on the Road! Dave

Brian's book occuppies a special place on my bookshelf. Not only is it within easy reach of my keyboard but it was also in the front seat alongside the maps on last summer's journey. It was one of the primary resources for information in planning and while driving. I highly recommend it as a gift for any roadhounds on your Christmas list.

I also can't wait for Brian's next book about the Lincoln to come out. ;)

Roadhound