American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us10 West Of Ellensburg, Wa & Yellowstone Trail

Ray,

You or someone else familiar with this area of Washington can tell me where US 10 is in this picture postcard. Is it to the right and just out of the photo? The bridge is almost certainly the one on the road into Thorp, and I assume the view is southwest along the Yakima River, west of Ellensburg.

AREllensburgCleElum.jpg

I believe the road through Thorp was on the older alignment of the Yellowstone Trail (prior to the mid 1920’s), but I don’t know the date of the bridge.

Keep the Show on the Road! Dave

You or someone else familiar with this area of Washington can tell me where US 10 is in this picture postcard. Is it to the right and just out of the photo? The bridge is almost certainly the one on the road into Thorp, and I assume the view is southwest along the Yakima River, west of Ellensburg.

Are you thinking that this is the bridge at (47.10098,-120.702603)? I think it matches up pretty closely. Also, my map doesn't say US-10 but a state road 10. From the image on Google I linked to, it looks like the picture probably was taken from highway 10, looking southwest as you mention.

Of course I've never been on that highway--just a virtual tourist via satellite.

Chris

Edited by Chris Rowland

Hi Dave,

I think you're right on all counts concerning the bridge and the older alignment of the highway through Thorp. The view is definitely southwest. What is now SR 10 (formerly US 10) would be just to the upper right of the photo. In other words, over the right shoulder of the photographer. The irrigation structures I mentioned in my post are clearly visible, only in much healthier condition than now. The Thorp Rd which crossed the bridge joins the newer alignment about a half mile beyond to the west(right). The newer road runs generally parallel to that trestle.

I have a softbound book on the history of Snoqualmie Pass and the author (not sure of her name, but Prater rings a bell) mentioned the road going through Thorp from the area where it comes down off Manastash Ridge to the southeast of this shot. When my son attended Central Washington at Ellensburg in 1990-1992 he worked for the owner of the piece of land at the west end of that bridge. The owner's first name was Rich and he ran some cattle between the road and the NP (BNSF) railroad tracks just to the south of the picture.

I don't know the construction date of the Thorp bridge, but I've checked the stamped dates on the concrete bridges along SR 10 in the vicinity and they read 1930. That would make sense because at about that time the federal government began referring to highways by number rather than names like Yellowstone Trail. As you know, the YT split at Spokane with a leg going south and west via Walla Walla, Pasco, Yakima and up to Ellensburg/Cle Elum; and a leg heading west along what is now US 2 through Davenport, Wenatchee, Blewett Pass (now US 97), and linking with the southern route at Teanaway Jct near Cle Elum. Once US 10 was completed across the middle of the state the YT routings probably lost some of their luster. Ironically, the local highway enthusiasts applied so much pressure for good roads that they might have put themselves out of business. Regardless of my editorializing, I still have a deep fondness for US 10. And yes, I belong to the YT group.

"Nothing happens on the Interstate. It's illegal." Moon in Blue Highways.

Ray

Chris and Ray,

Thanks to both of you for the help and insights!

Sheila, Rose of the Road, Bo, the Malamute Wonder Dog, and I took a trip last spring on the Yellowstone Trail “Loop” from Snoqualmie Pass through Waterville (where we stayed at the Waterville Hotel) Davenport, (missed Spokane) to Colfax, Walla Walla, Tri Cities, and Yakima, where we left the old road and returned home over White Pass. I wrote it up in the Yellowstone Trail forum here.

John Ridge moderates the Yellowstone Trail Forum here, so Ray, if you are a member, you will recognize him as one of a couple of world class YT pros. I don’t know how I got to be a moderator because the moderators (me excepted) are all luminaries in the two lane road world. I think it was maybe a requirement of some law that they have at least one dim bulb with no credentials! Not that I’m complaining, cause I get to rub shoulders with the finest..and so will both of you!

I worked in Spokane for a couple of years in 2001-2 but we kept our house in Olympia and stayed there when I had business in Olympia, or long weekends. Thus the family sedan was well trained to follow I-90. Of course that meant I also had the opportunity to take the “better” routes as well, and explore Central Washington.

Isn’t there a section of original YT concrete in Sunnyside...or Prosser? I recall trying to find it using only my “road nose,” which failed me. And did the Teapot Dome Station survive and/or get moved?

Hi Dave,

Glad we could help out.

I think John mentioned that YT pavement being in Grandview, but I'm not sure. Since I don't have to attend jury duty today I might run down there this afternoon and see what I can find. There is also a short strip of pavement in Zillah that looks to be part of the old trail. I'll check that out too and report back.

As far as the Teapot is concerned, it still sits near the east Zillah exit of I-82. I heard that it will be moved and converted to a tourist info center, but that hasn't happened yet.

US 12 down there was realigned in 1959 according to my wife. Her house was razed for the widening and eventual new route. The highway dept took enough of their land so that they could use the "just compensation" to build a new home on what was left. At that time it was US 410 which ran from Olympia or maybe Aberdeen to Walla Walla. I met my wife in 1966 and it was US 410 then. It changed to US 12 a year or two later. Up to that point, I don't remember seeing US 12 in Washington. I had seen it in Montana and Wyoming, but not here. I might not have been in the right place to notice it. Besides, we didn't stray far from US 10 on our junkets to Montana.

My wife just cleared me to head for the Lower Valley this afternoon. Think I'll head out on the road. Hopefully, I'll see something worth noting on this site.

Hey, drive safely!

Ray

Hi Dave,

Glad we could help out.

I think John mentioned that YT pavement being in Grandview, but I'm not sure. Since I don't have to attend jury duty today I might run down there this afternoon and see what I can find. There is also a short strip of pavement in Zillah that looks to be part of the old trail. I'll check that out too and report back.

As far as the Teapot is concerned, it still sits near the east Zillah exit of I-82. I heard that it will be moved and converted to a tourist info center, but that hasn't happened yet.

US 12 down there was realigned in 1959 according to my wife. Her house was razed for the widening and eventual new route. The highway dept took enough of their land so that they could use the "just compensation" to build a new home on what was left. At that time it was US 410 which ran from Olympia or maybe Aberdeen to Walla Walla. I met my wife in 1966 and it was US 410 then. It changed to US 12 a year or two later. Up to that point, I don't remember seeing US 12 in Washington. I had seen it in Montana and Wyoming, but not here. I might not have been in the right place to notice it. Besides, we didn't stray far from US 10 on our junkets to Montana.

My wife just cleared me to head for the Lower Valley this afternoon. Think I'll head out on the road. Hopefully, I'll see something worth noting on this site.

Hey, drive safely!

Ray

Ray,

Looking forward to the report!!

Do you use a digital camera? If so, and you have time, snap a few shots, overcast or not. Then post them here or in the gallery, or on one of the photo posting services.

Regarding 12, here is a quote from Richard F. Weingroff, road pro at the Federal Highway Administartion.

The extension through Idaho and into Washington was finally approved on June 20, 1967. The extension was described as follows:

Beginning at the interchange with present US Routes 12, 95 and 410 in northeast Lewiston, thence southerly over present US Route 410 across the Clearwater River Bridge into Lewiston, thence in a north-westerly direction to the Idaho-Washington State Line.

Beginning at the Washington-Idaho State Line at Clarkston, thence westerly over present US Route 410 via Pomeroy, Walla Walla, Pasco, Richland, Prosser, Grandview, Sunnyside, Granger, and Zillah, to junction at Union Gap with US Route 97 thence continue north on US Route 410 through Yakima and Naches to junction with State Route 14 northwest of Naches, thence westerly over SR 14 via Rimrock, Packwood, Randle, Kosmos, Riffe, Mossyrock, Salkum, Ethel and Marys Corner to interchange US Route 99 (Interstate Route 5) south of Chehalis, thence north over US 88 (I'5) via Chehalis and Centralia to interchange with State Route 8 near Grand Mound, thence northwest on SR 8 via Rochester, Oakville and Malone to junction with US Route 410 at Elma, thence westerly over US Route 410 via Montesano to junction with US Route 101 in Aberdeen.

Keep the Show on the Road!

You or someone else familiar with this area of Washington can tell me where US 10 is in this picture postcard.

I really enjoyed the challenge of figuring out where this photo was taken. I think it would be awesome if people could post landscape pictures that had roads/buildings/rivers/mountains, etc. with just enough detail in the picture and the description so that we could search and try to determine based on maps and satellite imagery where the photo might have been taken from. This post card was a beautiful example... Is anyone else interested in doing that type of sleuthing?

Chris

Chris,

I think that is a very interesting idea!

I can see a couple of “versions.”

(1) One of my ancillary hobbies is picking up old post cards of highways. Most often I know what I’m looking at, but not always. An example comes to mind of a bridge and a car on either the Lincoln or the National; Road…I don’t recall now. But I have often wondered where it was taken. There are many others.

Let me see if I can dig out a few. It might be fun during the dark winter months!

(2) Maybe a little contest would be in order. I have in mind an image along Route 66 in the southwest, but I don’t know where. Roadhound messed around with this idea in the Bridges forum.

I’ll pull out and post a few postcards and we can test the interest.

Hang on while I look for my Post Cards among the stacks of stuff around here!

BTW, where did Ray go? He went out on a scout yesterday, and we have no word yet that he made it home safely. :D Just kidding, Ray...take your time...

Hi Dave,

My "scouting trip" ended about five miles from home. It was foggy and I got a late start. So, I gave it up yesterday. Take heart though, I'm heading out right now to see what's up on the roadways of my world. However, I'm heading out on the "North Wenas" to Ellensburg. Tonight I'll post what I've found.

BTW, I remember that roadhouse you asked about, or at least I think I do. Is it the one that is about 5 miles south of the Olympia Airport which lies south of Tumwater? I can't provide any information other than I've seen it. Is that the stretch called the Jackson Highway, or maybe I'm confusing that stretch with something else.

BTW2, Thanks for the info on 410. I had forgotten that it ran to Lewiston, but at least I was pretty close on the date of the switch to US 12 numbering.

So, off I go on the run over the Manastash. I'll write up what I find tonight or tomorrow.

Ray

I really enjoyed the challenge of figuring out where this photo was taken. I think it would be awesome if people could post landscape pictures that had roads/buildings/rivers/mountains, etc. with just enough detail in the picture and the description so that we could search and try to determine based on maps and satellite imagery where the photo might have been taken from. This post card was a beautiful example... Is anyone else interested in doing that type of sleuthing?

Chris

Chris and any one else,

OK, here is a really tough one.

This is along the Oregon Coast, looking north on what is now US101. My guess from having driven this road several times is that it is southern Oregon. The broad clues are that the road is practically on the water and cut from the hillside. The more specific clues are in the near and far rocks...but it isn’t clear how high the tide is so who knows if the rocks will or won’t show.

It is almost certain that the house excavations still exist, but who know how much the road has been improved! It is still very likely two lane.

Tough challenge!

AR101A.jpg

AR101B.jpg

AR101C.jpg

Hi Dave,

My "scouting trip" ended about five miles from home. It was foggy and I got a late start. So, I gave it up yesterday. Take heart though, I'm heading out right now to see what's up on the roadways of my world. However, I'm heading out on the "North Wenas" to Ellensburg. Tonight I'll post what I've found.

BTW, I remember that roadhouse you asked about, or at least I think I do. Is it the one that is about 5 miles south of the Olympia Airport which lies south of Tumwater? I can't provide any information other than I've seen it. Is that the stretch called the Jackson Highway, or maybe I'm confusing that stretch with something else.

BTW2, Thanks for the info on 410. I had forgotten that it ran to Lewiston, but at least I was pretty close on the date of the switch to US 12 numbering.

So, off I go on the run over the Manastash. I'll write up what I find tonight or tomorrow.

Ray

Ray,

We understand! This is the Northwest and winter. Hope your trip to Ellensburg works! Maybe you will come back by the old river route.

I don't think the Jackson Highway name applied to US99 as far north as Tenino or Olympia. It was down around Toleto, the Jackson Courthouse cabin, and the old Hudson Bay Company Cowlitz Prairie farm. That whole area is fascinating, especially with the fur trapping era connections with the Hudson Bay Company, Cowlitz landing, and the Cowlitz Trail. Another of my "favorite places!"

Happy Travels!

Keep the show on the Road! Dave

This is along the Oregon Coast, looking north on what is now US101. My guess from having driven this road several times is that it is southern Oregon. The broad clues are that the road is practically on the water and cut from the hillside. The more specific clues are in the near and far rocks...but it isn’t clear how high the tide is so who knows if the rocks will or won’t show.

It kind of looks like this angle looking toward Cape Sebastian: Meyer's Creek Beach, From Above The Coast Highway, but I don't quite think so. This is a photo kind of looking the opposite direction: Coastline with highway and seastacks, Pistol River State Park.

The road and the rock seem to match up, but the problem with this location is that I don't see where those buildings would have ever been.

I'll keep looking.

Chris

It kind of looks like this angle looking toward Cape Sebastian: Meyer's Creek Beach, From Above The Coast Highway, but I don't quite think so. This is a photo kind of looking the opposite direction: Coastline with highway and seastacks, Pistol River State Park.

The road and the rock seem to match up, but the problem with this location is that I don't see where those buildings would have ever been.

I'll keep looking.

Chris

Chris,

Your first image wouldn't come up, but I agree that the second, which looks south, may be the place. It appears to have the cluster of one big and perhaps two small rocks near shore, and the road curves are similar.

I think the houses could be hidden by the hill. Have you looked at Google Earth and Virtual Earth? You definately have a nack for photo ID!

I am a Then and Now guy....as are several others here, including roadmaven, and Mobilene. I think we should work with your idea a little. It might even turn a small profit in that often road photos are more valuable when the exact spot is identified.

I went through some of my stuff and didn't find a lot of "unknowns" but I have a few that would be fun to work with. I'll post a few.

Ray,

We understand! This is the Northwest and winter. Hope your trip to Ellensburg works! Maybe you will come back by the old river route.

I don't think the Jackson Highway name applied to US99 as far north as Tenino or Olympia. It was down around Toleto, the Jackson Courthouse cabin, and the old Hudson Bay Company Cowlitz Prairie farm. That whole area is fascinating, especially with the fur trapping era connections with the Hudson Bay Company, Cowlitz landing, and the Cowlitz Trail. Another of my "favorite places!"

Happy Travels!

Keep the show on the Road! Dave

Hello Dave,

Yes, I made it over the Manastash via the old Yellowstone Trail and came back along the river via old US 97. US 97 between Ellensburg and Yakima was routed via I-82 in 1971. The Freeway opened the Wednesday before Thanksgiving that year. The water level route is numbered SR 821 between Thrall Road and the Yakima Training Center. There is an additional 3 miles of county road extending from the training center south to the East Selah Road exit #29 where it ties back into I-82. When going south on old 97 continue across I-82 and make an immediate right to travel this additonal portion.

Here's a rundown on what I saw going each direction. My teachers would be proud of me as I actually took a few notes along the way. Don't worry, I pulled off the road to write. Of course I worked in a stop at Selah's King's Row Drive In. Great burgers, and hot fries! What would a road trip be without locally owned burger joints?

The old YT runs north down Selah's main street to Naches Avenue where 821 goes east one block to North Wenas Road. Turn left onto N Wenas and you're on your way. From there the two-lane pavement continues 15 miles north and west through small farms, ranches, and a few orchards. Wenas Creek is never far away; its path delinieated by dissiduous trees and bushes

At the 15 mile mark the lower end of Wenas Lake is reached. To the left the half-empty lake bed extends about a mile where the Wenas Lake Resort lies perched on a rise norh of the road. Hardly in the bed and breakfast category, this is a fishing hangout. From here the road twists over and through some barren hills for another four miles before reaching pine growth. Another couple of miles and the pavement abruptly ends just beyond the Audubon and Maloy Roads.

With caution the road was navigable, albeit twisting, narrow, and rough--reminds me of Hobbes's definition of life, "nasty, brutish, and short." So much for philosophy. There was no threat of high-centering so my Montego pushed onward and upward. At the 24-mile mark the temperature had dipped to 25F and snow covered the roadway. About a mile and a half farther I reached Observation Road which veers off to the left. It was gated so I have no idea of what can be seen from that road. At about this point the road crests a summit and soon a lonely ranch house and its corrals are passed. This was the first apparent habitation in about 10 miles. From here the road widened a bit and became somewhat smoother. Snow now lined the sides where a plow had bladed it.

At the 29-mile mark I reached Hanson's Pond, and a mile beyond met my first opposing traffic since leaving the pavement at mile 20. Umptanum Falls parking area is reached at Mile 30.2. Umptanum Creek flows into the Yakima River which lies a few miles east. Another mile and there is a sign telling you that the county road ends, not that it made any difference. Although there is no indication, the road might be maintained as part of the L T Murray Game Preserve, or it might be that I crossed into Kittitas County at the sign and Yakima County simply said they were done with it. I'll have to get out a map and see.

Now it was snowing and 26F.

Althogh it was a little hazy or foggy, at mile 34 I caught my first glimpses of the Kittitas Valley about five miles ahead. After passing the Triple R Ranch pavement reappears at Mile 35. From here it's a relatively quick run down to the valley floor at Mile 37. At mile 38.5 Damman School is passed. This is an operating 2-room schoolhouse along with its old teacherage (now a rental). Grades K-5 are taught in the two multi-grade classrooms by two teachers. Damman is it's own district and the students usually attend Ellensburg schools upon matriculating. There are around 55-65 students spread over six grades. Reminded me of the 2-room school my three cousins attended in Gold Creek, Montana, also located along the YT.

At mile 39.5 the Yakima River is crossed and it's only another mile to the Canyon Road (Old 97) where the usual profusion of fast food places, gas stations, and, thankfully, restrooms await. That's the first half of the trip. I'll post the second half later or tomorrow.

Ray

Ray,

A masterful description! I felt like I was right there in the passenger’s seat!

I recall the resort, but I’m surprised I don’t recall the schoolhouse.

Ah, and the King's Row Drive-In...I understand the “special sauce” for the fries is out of this world. Is that true?

Looking forward to part two!!!

Hi Dave and Denny,

Thanks for the kind words about my write-up.

Before summarizing the southbound return trip along old US 97 I'll touch on a couple of points I neglected to make concerning the northbound run. The alapsed time from Selah was about 1.5 hours. The first 20 miles are mostly posted 35mph. There is a fair amount of traffic along this stretch as the road serves myriad farms and homes. There are lots of curves that seem to spring up for no geological reason; perhaps some rancher might have balked at allowing the road to pass through his land many years prior. So, rubbernecking is permitted, but be careful.

The first couple of miles along North Wenas have been four-laned by the city. There is even a stoplight at Goodlander Road where the new Selah High School sits atop the hill to the left. From Goodlander, though, it's two-lane all the way, albeit somewhat narrow here and there, especially through parts of the unpaved section.

The Wenas Valley is fairly wide until near Longmire Lane, probably 12 miles out. Between there and the lake the barren hills on either side tighten their grip.

I was lucky yesterday. Although snow lay on the ground and parts of the road surface, things went smoothly. I doubt I'd want to tackle the unpaved stretch much later in the year, or even in the early spring when mud would be an issue.

I suspect many fishermen and hunters are very aware of the existence of this road, but I doubt msot realize it is part of the old YT. Speaking as a true city-dweller, "There is nothing up there." which is one of the reasons i like it so much. With the exception of the resort, once Goodlander Road is left behind, no servieces exist. It's one thing to navigate that route in a heated 2005 all-wheel-drive Mercury Montego, but think of the planning and effort it must have taken during the early part of the 20th Century in a Model T.

One more thing on Damman School. My son had the contracted janitorial job there in 1992 while he attended Central Washington University in Ellensburg. One evening I was helping him with the quick mop-up when one of the two teachers showed up. I asked her how she dealt with teaching three grade levels simultaneously. Her response was that the students in the older grades helped teach those at the younger levels. She would introduce a topic, and they'd take it from there. The building had a gym and a tiny lunch room. All the comforts of home, so to speak. There has been much talk of merging with Ellensburg School District, but so far those attempts have failed. There is no town there, just a scattering of farms and ranches. The building sits on the NW corner of Umptanum and Manastash Roads. It defintiely worth a look. When I drove past on Umptanum the blinking school zone lights were in operation and I had to slow to the required 20MPH. That was about the only visual evidence of modernity.

I have to stop now. Guess that return posting will have to wait a bit longer. ;)

Ray

Ray,

Yah...tell me about delayed postings...I have some from this last Fall in the queue!

I should have posted these before your trip! The map is a Western Washington Auto Club Strip Map 1917-1920, and the directions are from my 1915-16 Automobile Blue Book. Both would be contemporary with the Yellowstone Trail route via Wenas.

Looking forward to Part 2!

PS. Note that the auto clubs of Washington didn't typically refer to the Yellowstone Trail, but rather to the "Inland Empire Highway" or to the later YT route as the Sunset Highway. That has always been interesting to me. I suppose that the State and the clubs prefered the home grown names.

ARABBWenas.jpg

ARWenas.jpg

Hi Dave, Denny, et al.

I've finally gotten back to the site. Now, with a bit of luck I'll manage to post that run down old US 97 that I promised you.

As many know, old 97 between Ellensburg and Yakima ran through what is generally referred to as the Yakima River Canyon. Oddly enough, the residents of Yakima frequently call it the Ellensburg Canyon, while those living in Ellensburg usually say it's the Yakima Canyon. I suppose it depends on which direction one is headed. That's one of the things I enjoy about the old routes. You are exposed to the subtle nuances that make each community just a little different from all the others. Those oddities are what make live interesting.

The route is accessed most easily from the south at Exit 26 off I-82, and at the north end at either Exit 109 off I-90 or Exit 29 off I-82. If Exit 109 is used just head south on Canyon Road (county road) four miles to to Thrall and the road becomes SR 821. North from Exit 109 takes you into Ellensburg along Main Street.

I'm not sure, but I believe this route was punched through sometime in the 1920s or very early 1930s. It generally follows the Yakima River, occupying, for the most part, the side opposite the old Northern Pacific (now BNSF) railroad grade. Don't expect to see many trains in here. On average, only about four to six freights operate daily on the former Stampede Pass line which BNSF took out of mothballs and rebuilt to higher standards in 1996. Rumors of increased traffic on this line have clogged many Yakima city council agendas, but only time will tell. More trains wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Regardless of the season, the old water-level route is very scenic and geologically quite interesting. During the blistering heat of summer the canyon route, although still hot, provides some relief, if only visual, as it stays within sight of the river for most of the way. The interstate, located a few miles east, traverses and skirts the Army's Yakima Training Center. Alone with one's thoughts, spaciousness and isolation are a traveler's only companion on this route.

The canyon route is designated a recreational highway for its entire 24-mile length. Be forewarned, the speed limit is 45 and, when they say "strictly enforced," they mean it. The sheriff departments of both Yakima and Kittitas Counties, as well as the Washington State Patrol frequent the area. During the summer this is prime river floating country, and DUIs are issued left and right. Besides, the point of taking the route is to enjoy the scenery. So, if time is precious, come back when you can enjoy the experience.

I drove the route southbound so my descriptions will generally run that direction. My starting point was across from the McDonald's where Umptanum Road joins Canyon Road. From there it is about four miles to the officially designated entrance to the canyon. Between the I-90 overpass and Thrall Road, the speed limit is 50, but it is 45 once the canyon is reached.

Entering the canyon the road hugs the eastern wall and passes several newer hones which have been erected on either side of the road. For the most part these houses have been built with the surroundings in mind. This softens the blow, but one can't help but wonder how many homes might be built. The railroad tracks are just below the road grade to the right. About two miles into the actual canyon the tracks cross to the west bank. At milepost 22 (remember, I'm running in reverse here) the first hairpin curve is encountered. At the far end of the curve is one of the main entry points for rafters, and a favorite spot for radar carrying troopers intent on slowing you down, if not ruining your day.

At MP 19 is another 180 degree turn, but not quite as tight as the first. In the hot weather the river is full of college students and locals drifting listlessly downstream for 15 miles, coolers of liquid refreshment in tow. Can't say as I blame 'em. The canyon walls close in now, only sporadically spreading here and there. Depending on the time of day and the season, each curve in the road opens new vistas. The same scene might appear vastly different depending on the sun's angle, the foliage, or the weather. I've driven this route literally hundreds of times, yet it never bores me. About 12 miles from the starting point at McDonald's, lies the Umptanum Recreation Area. These camping areas have restrooms, tables, and iron barbecues. Drop boxes are provided for fee payment. As part of the coordinated arrangement I think Washington State Department of Natural Resources handles this aspect. But then, I could be wrong. All I know is that somebody collects the money.

A couple miles farther south you come upon a rock outcropping on the right. You can't miss it. There is a huge yellow pacman painted at water's edge. The braver, or more folish, among us dive into the river from this point. On the left these same people might be seen hang gliding from the walls of the natural bowl just across the road.

Fishermen are active year round casting their flies. It's all catch and release, from what I've been told. Guides are frequently seen leading their customers to the best holes. Even Jay Buhner has fished this river.

Shortly (within 1/2 mile) the road climbs to pass through a sheer rock wall that the river swings around. Just over the crest is a monument on the left with the inscription "The McPherson Range". This is, or at least was, sheep country and Angus McPherson ran sheep up here somewhere. Upon reaching the river again you pass the old railroad siding of Wymer. The orignal name was Canyon and there was a house up the hill from the tracks where the operator lived. The grass is still greener where the house used to stand. A water tower filled steam locomotive tenders until the mid 1950s.

At highway milepost 13 is a pulloff where layers of sedimentary rock can be seen in the walls across the river. At MP 10 Big Pines Recreation Area is passed on the right. This is the site of the former highway department facility. In 1971 it was moved closer to Selah along the freeway. At MP 7 the rafting area ends and there is a mile of river where water skiers and jet ski enthusiasts spend their summer weekends.

As the road climbs out of the river valley the Roza Dam is seen off to the right. Here irrigation water is fed into canals to serve teh Yakima Valley orchards and farms. The railroad crosses back to the east side of the river. At MP 3 the road skirts an old highway tunnel that collapsed in 1964. The highway was rerouted along the railroad tracks, but only after a battle was won requiring the NP to move their tracks several yards to the east so that the road could be squeezed in. If you look at the right time you can see where the railroad swerves and returns to its original alignment.

Soon Selah Creek is crossed. It amazes me that what is now such a small creek could have gouged out the canyon that is visible to the east. The arches of the Fred Redman Memorial Bridge can be seen to the east on I-82. Fred Redman was responsible for the idea of using private contractors to build highways instead of state crews.

At MP 1 is the old Pomona Tavern, a local landmark. If you're lucky, or unlucky, depending on your viewpoint, you might be treated to parade of tanks and other military vehicles crossing the road to enter the military enclosure.

In a mile you hit I-82 and can enter the freeway. If you want to take another short segment of old 97 just cross the freeway and turn right across from the Shell Mini-mart. That will take you to the freeway entrance at Exit 29. Yakima is just through the gap.

Well, that's it. Hope I didn't bore too many of you.

BTW Dave, thanks for posting those descriptions of the Manastash route.

Ray

Ray,

You are an amazing writer! I definitely wasn’t bored...to the contrary, I was able to take the ride in my mind. You have a real talent for description, and you “see” exceptionally well. What can we do to get you on the road more?! And to share the experience with all of us.

I have driven that segment of 97 only a few of times, and the last visit was probably 20 or more years ago. It sounds like its many charms have been discovered. I was pleased to learn that what housing has been constructed in the canyon, has respected the landscape. I have a prejudice against monstrous homes built to look like pseudo castles, perched in the middle of an otherwise unspoiled Northwest vista.

As you may or may not know, I have a ton of maps and guides from the 1920’s and before. I am very gradually adding them to my amateur attempt at a web site at historicalroadmaps.com. I haven’t put up many Washington maps yet. I have a pretty complete set of the strip maps issued by the Western Washington Auto Club of the whole state in the teens (like the one posted), which are fun to use on trips. And I have the Automobile Blue Books for the Northwest (like the description posted) back to the first. And lots of other stuff. My primary incentive to scan and post maps and old travel guides is that someone like yourself might use them on a trip.

I hope you will continue to contribute to our adventures here!

Dave