American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Fine Northwest Reuben

Keep the Show on the Road!

Chris,

I have assumed my self appointed duties for Reubens Realm and make this report from the North Western Division Headquarters :rolleyes:

Nickelby’s is a one of a kind local restaurant where the waitresses know your name, and remember your favorite meal. If you order breakfast, they say, “...and you like the home cut potatoes and the English muffin, and your coffee with cream.” When one comes back from vacation, we talk about her trip, and the grand daughter who traveled with her.

ARNicSign.jpg

ARNic.jpg

It is a block off old US99 in Tumwater, Washington. Michael is the Reuben Meister/ Chef.

ARReuben1.jpg

The Reuben is prime. The sauerkraut is moist but not mushy, with medium turgor, The pastrami is lean and plentiful...moist, fresh, and tasty. The cheese is well blended and properly melted. The Rye bread is fresh and has a nicely crisp and lightly browned exterior, with no sign of having absorbed too much sauerkraut juice.

ARReuben2.jpg

The presentation is excellent, the appearance fresh and toasty, the taste is juicy and full, properly seasoned without excess, with an attention getting first bite, and satisfying finish. In short, I savored every bite, but didn’t waste any time in doing my work!

A few more photos follow, and the full report with be sent to headquarters ASAP.

Reporting from the Reuben Realm North Western Division Headquarters..... B)

PS Here I am ordering my Reuben... 10 second video :lol:

Keep the Show on the Road! Dave

ARMichael.jpg

Michael the Chef

ARNicInside1.jpg

I have assumed my self appointed duties for Reubens Realm and make this report from the North Western Division Headquarters :rolleyes:

Thanks, Dave! You definitely have the passion! The video was a little disturbing, though. Just send the complete report to my reuben at rowlandweb e-mail and I'll let you know when it gets officially posted.

Chris

Reuben Realm

Thanks, Dave! You definitely have the passion! The video was a little disturbing, though. Just send the complete report to my reuben at rowlandweb e-mail and I'll let you know when it gets officially posted.

Chris

Reuben Realm

Chris,

Did you mean "disturbed?" :rolleyes:

Keep the Show on the Road! dave

's all right. Shut de box.

I don't even like Ruebens and I'm enjoying the banter and am bowled over by Chris' Reuben Realm. There was a period in my life when, to please my mother-in-law, I ate sauerkraut every New Year's Day - with a smile - I'm hoping that viewing all of the kraut in the Realm's gallery will absolve me, at least a little, for my backsliding. Good show.

Did you mean "disturbed?" :rolleyes:

Keep the Show on the Road! dave

Yes... somehow I doubt that the video accurately represents the ordering of the sandwich.

I'm still excited because our local PBS station is filming me for a segment this coming Tuesday. I'll keep you all informed as to how it turns out and when it will be on TV.

Chris

Yes... somehow I doubt that the video accurately represents the ordering of the sandwich.

I'm still excited because our local PBS station is filming me for a segment this coming Tuesday. I'll keep you all informed as to how it turns out and when it will be on TV.

Chris

Chris,

I guess I should confess that wasn’t really a “live” shot of me ordering! I have more hair.

Regarding the TV interview....You definitely qualify as expert! Did you say what the interview is for? I mean do they plan a show on sandwiches, unique web sites, restaurants, unique interests...or ? Will it go beyond the local station? Will you get a copy of the interview to share?

Did I mention that we have more than an interest in Reubens in common...I used to teach programming...back in the really really "old days." Ever hear of the 1620, 1440, and 1401.... a whole different world! Even the old joke about turning the punch card over to use the other side gets a blank look today! A punch what?

Regarding the TV interview....You definitely qualify as expert! Did you say what the interview is for? I mean do they plan a show on sandwiches, unique web sites, restaurants, unique interests...or ? Will it go beyond the local station? Will you get a copy of the interview to share?

Did I mention that we have more than an interest in Reubens in common...I used to teach programming...back in the really really "old days." Ever hear of the 1620, 1440, and 1401.... a whole different world! Even the old joke about turning the punch card over to use the other side gets a blank look today! A punch what?

I believe it is for their Across Indiana program, which is advertised as "Take a weekly journey across the cultural landscape of the Hoosier state. Host Michael Atwood and a team of award-winning producers explore the places, people and traditions that make Indiana a unique place to live and work. The program profiles interesting Hoosiers, from humble farmers to computer entrepreneurs and folk artists. Across Indiana blends heart, soul, humor and journalistic insight into a unique television program made by, and about, the people of Indiana."

So my guess is that they are either profiling me or my group as fitting the "interesting Hoosier" with unique interests description. It looks like they have all of the segments viewable from the web site, so once it's aired, I can point you there.

I assume those computers you mention were mainframes? IBM? The closest I got to punch cards was in middle school in 1985 our "computer" unit consisted of punching out our name on a perforated punch card. They sent them "downtown" to run them on the big computer and it produced a printout of what was on the cards. If it came back and our name was spelled right, we got a good grade. Not quite what I would call programming, though. At the time, I was programming Applesoft BASIC on my Apple ][e.

Chris

Chris

Sounds interesting! And fun. I hope you will let us know when it is available on the web.

Yep, “them were the days of the big iron.” It s been fun, and no little bit amazing, to watch the computer evolve. Much of what we can do today was in the research or early stages in the early 60’s when I was in college or working for IBM...but the thought that we would have something like the internet and WWW wasn’t even a fantasy.

I believe it is for their Across Indiana program, which is advertised as "Take a weekly journey across the cultural landscape of the Hoosier state. Host Michael Atwood and a team of award-winning producers explore the places, people and traditions that make Indiana a unique place to live and work. The program profiles interesting Hoosiers, from humble farmers to computer entrepreneurs and folk artists. Across Indiana blends heart, soul, humor and journalistic insight into a unique television program made by, and about, the people of Indiana."

Not to hijack the thread, BUT, Across Indiana is a fantastic look at unique Hoosiers....I've been watching it for years. Jennifer's daughter, Amber (an American Road intern), can be see for a split second in a recent Across Indiana segment. You'll never look at Santa Claus the same way...and might even need to seek counseling after viewing it.....but Amber and her painting can be seen for about 2 seconds in this excerpt from Across Indiana at the 22:23 mark: http://wfyi.org/wvx/AIND.1805.5.wvx Use the pause button to see what I had to encounter when I came home from work several weeks ago! :wacko:

A little less bothersome is a nice piece from early in '07 on a gentleman from Gaston, IN who's a good friend of the Corvair community. Periodically you can see our blue '65 coupe, and at one point Jennifer & I are standing around with others (I'm wearing the gray Indiana sweatshirt wearing an AR cap). My oldest brother Mike is in there (although they spelled our last name with 2 m's instead of 1!), and his black convertible is shown toward the front of the feature. AND, my dad's light yellow '64 Spyder coupe is shown as well. That was a fun day.....the guys at Across Indiana were great to work with. Here's this one:

http://wfyi.org/wvx/AIND.1705.3.wvx

A little less bothersome is a nice piece from early in '07 on a gentleman from Gaston, IN who's a good friend of the Corvair community.

I've always thought the show does a good job in the segments they do. I am glad it is this program interested instead of the local network news--so at least it'll be a quality production. I'm curious and a little nervous about how they are going to portray me and what type of "angle" they will put to the story... We've been interviewed for magazines before, but TV is a little different. At least I plan on keeping my clothes on though, unlike the Santa segment!

The Corvairs looked awesome!

Chris