American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Road Trip Dreams

mobilene

I don't know about you all, but I keep my road trips to the warmer months. I don't get much of a kick out of a slick or slushy highway in the cold.

I'm already starting to dream about where I want to go in 2008. I don't think I'll be going anywhere exotic -- there's a lot I want to see right here in Indiana. And close-to-home trips fit my budget right now anyway.

The more time I spend on the old Michigan Road, the more I want to drive it end to end. The Michigan Road is Indiana's first state-funded road, and it was built in the 1830s. It stretches from the Ohio River at Madison to Lake Michigan. If I understand correctly, the road came to the lake first and they built Michigan City where the road ended. I live about 1 mile from the Road in northwest Indianapolis. It used to be US 421 through town, but today is maintained by the city. Out of town it's US 421 along much of its alignment, but is also State Road 29, State Road 29, US 20, and a decommissioned stretch of US 31, at least up north; I don't know the road down south at all. I'm eager to get to know it.

I'd also like to drive the LH in Indiana, the original alignment that runs through Goshen and South Bend. The pages at roadfan.com show some old alignments, including one in brick, that I'd like to see. That would be a weekend trip.

What about you? Where are you dreaming of going next year?

jim

Mobilene,

I like your dreams! They will be fun to do, and fun to plan for. I’d like to know more about the Michigan Road.

I have a bunch of possibilities bouncing around in my head. I’d like to do the Southwest again this winter with Sheila...if I can figure a way to transport ‘ol Bo, the Malamute Wonder Dog without endangering his health. At 12 years old, a big dog (140 lbs) is in his mid 90’s in human years. I’d like to go further east on 66 than we did last winter (Santa Fe). If that doesn’t happen, I may do a solo fly and drive to the same general area, or.......

Within the next year, I’d like to get to the mid west. My thought is to join the members of the gang for one of your trips, then spend a week or two on our own exploring. Given Bo’s probable last days, and obligations Sheila and I have through April, it might be in May or June...but I have done no planning yet.

I will try to do more trips like the recent one to Winnemucca....that is combined with a “purposeful” trip.

I do want to say that my winter trip to Winnemucca was great fun, certainly in large part because I realized that some things I saw might be interesting to this gang.....which reminds me I still have more write-ups to do!

Keep the Show on the Road! Dave

Keep, if you make a Midwest trip, I hope I can make it to wherever you are for a day or two to explore with you! Or if you come to Indiana, I can show you what I know about the National Road, or US 36, or any of the other stuff I've found out here!

Poor Bo. Malamutes are great dogs, but I do know that larger dogs have a harder time traveling when they're old, if nothing else because lifting them into the car is such an ordeal.

It's a long story about how this happened, but my ex-wife just gave me the two dogs we had while married. Sugar's a Rottweiler, and Gracie's a Golden Retriever/Chow mix. Both are almost 12, which is extremely old for a Rottweiler. Fortunately, both of them can still travel, even though I have to hoist poor Sugar in and out of the car. I hope to take them along on my trips this year. I'll even roll the side windows down for them so they can stick their heads out.

Meanwhile, this winter I need to write up my US 31 trip and my recent return visit to the National Road in Illinois!

jim

In addition to a trip into Nevada to find 1/2 of a dollar bill (worth $20 to me) I'm not sure where I'm headed next year. A lot of my planning has to be done around my wife's vacation schedule and when my kids are out of school for the summer. Gas prices may also play a part in travel plans.

I've bounced around a few ideas to the family, that are road related, with differing levels of enthusiasm. A California to Yellowstone trip was one that was well recieved as was a trip up the Northern California\Oregon Coast.

I am also trying to squeeze in another week long camping adventure which may be in the same vicinity as 2007's Lincoln adventure through Utah and Nevada. Missed quite a bit during that trip that I would like to go back and see.

I may also venture into New Mexico during the summer. My son is doing a 2 week outing at the Boy Scout Camp in Northern New Mexico, just outside of Taos, and it would give me an excuse to drive out there to drop him off or pick him up.

Roadhound

One thing I will be doing, and hopefully Road Maven will join me at some point, is to drive through all 92 counties in Indiana during my geocaching travels by May 2008.

There is a puzzle/virtual cache called Indiana Epic 92 where in order to claim a "find" one must find a cache in every county in Indiana. So far, these are the counties where I have found caches:

2094273368_8e153c471d_o.jpg

I can't wait to keep going on this epic journey throughout Indiana!

For those of you in the Indianapolis area, I have several geocaches hidden out there, so if you're interested in finding them, here they are...you will not be able to see location info unless you start a FREE account at geocaching.com:

Not a LPC!

Gustafson Park #2

Indianapolis Italians - Bocce Anyone?

Winds of Change #2 - Leonard Park

Winds of Change #1

Break A Leg....errrr....Good Luck!

Major Taylor Velodrome

Indianapolis Italians - Holy Rosary Church

Keep the Faith

One thing I will be doing, and hopefully Road Maven will join me at some point, is to drive through all 92 counties in Indiana during my geocaching travels by May 2008.

There is a puzzle/virtual cache called Indiana Epic 92 where in order to claim a "find" one must find a cache in every county in Indiana. So far, these are the counties where I have found caches:

2094273368_8e153c471d_o.jpg

I can't wait to keep going on this epic journey throughout Indiana!

For those of you in the Indianapolis area, I have several geocaches hidden out there, so if you're interested in finding them, here they are...you will not be able to see location info unless you start a FREE account at geocaching.com:

Not a LPC!

Gustafson Park #2

Indianapolis Italians - Bocce Anyone?

Winds of Change #2 - Leonard Park

Winds of Change #1

Break A Leg....errrr....Good Luck!

Major Taylor Velodrome

Indianapolis Italians - Holy Rosary Church

Keep the Faith

I count 30 counties that you've completed, Jennifer. You've mapped out quite a task for yourself. Especially since you might have to uncover objects in snow and ice in an Indiana winter for the next three months..yikes!!! Well, maybe the Midwest will have a mild winter, huh..that'll work to your advantage. Do the northern counties not thaw out until April?

You wouldn't considering giving yourself until say September or October, 2008? I can't guess how determined you are, but wouldn't that be more realistic for 62 counties? But then, at least you live centrally in Indianapolis and are never more than 200 or so miles at the beginner of each journey, at my estimation.

I wish you and Pat the best of luck :D !!!!

Matt Smallwood

One of the members of another online group occasionally reports on real dreams he has had with some sort of road connection. When I first saw this topic, I thought that might be what was going on here and am relieved to see it's not.

I have started to think of 2008 a little bit even though I hope to squeeze in one more 2007 outing over Christmas. With the National Route 66 Festival in Litchfield next year, I know some sort of road trip will be centered on that in June. Probably start in Chicago and go as far as I can before needing to turn around for the festival.

Like mobilene, I have the Indiana Lincoln in some corner of my mind. I'd also like to get back to some of the Maryland section of the National Road. I'm just starting to think of a west coast trip from Seattle, where one son lives, to San Francisco, home of the other one. It would be a fly & drive probably at the end of April for a grandson's birthday. I've looked into it just enough to determine that the car companies don't seem to mind a one way rental between those cities. If that happens, I'd hope to hook up with KtSotR for at least a free beer.

My current thinking on Christmas is New Orleans via Montgomery with a return through Memphis. Alex, I'll be in touch as that gets firmed up. The best guess I've got right now is Memphis around the 29th or 30th.

One of the members of another online group occasionally reports on real dreams he has had with some sort of road connection. When I first saw this topic, I thought that might be what was going on here and am relieved to see it's not.

I have started to think of 2008 a little bit even though I hope to squeeze in one more 2007 outing over Christmas. With the National Route 66 Festival in Litchfield next year, I know some sort of road trip will be centered on that in June. Probably start in Chicago and go as far as I can before needing to turn around for the festival.

Like mobilene, I have the Indiana Lincoln in some corner of my mind. I'd also like to get back to some of the Maryland section of the National Road. I'm just starting to think of a west coast trip from Seattle, where one son lives, to San Francisco, home of the other one. It would be a fly & drive probably at the end of April for a grandson's birthday. I've looked into it just enough to determine that the car companies don't seem to mind a one way rental between those cities. If that happens, I'd hope to hook up with KtSotR for at least a free beer.

My current thinking on Christmas is New Orleans via Montgomery with a return through Memphis. Alex, I'll be in touch as that gets firmed up. The best guess I've got right now is Memphis around the 29th or 30th.

Y'all come wandering thru Memphis, Denny, we'll find a place for you to sleep - won't be up to Fodors standards, but the roof don't leak and there ain't no roaches!!!!! LOL

Talk of 2008 road trips got me thinking. I might take a run down 51 to Winona, at least; there's supposed to be a Blues Museum in Greenwood, so that's not far from Winona; and maybe back up thru Clarksdale and across the river back to Left Memphis.

Then there's 64 over to Chattanooga; all sorts of runs here and there that could be done on day trips. Had thought of another run north on 51 to Dyersburg, then across the river and see if we could find old 61 back down to Left Memphis.

Least ways that's the thinking at the moment. We do have one long trip planned this summer - the end of July up to MA to my Hudson car club national meet in Marlborough, MA (22-25 July) - but that will mostly interstate travel, unfortunately. Incidentally, any of y'all happen to be in that area around that time, drop in and see us - you don't have to be a Hudson club member to drop by and look at the cars. The best days for viewing are Wed thru Sat noon time. After the Sat business meeting some folks start heading for home - with the major exodus occuring Sunday morning.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Had thought of another run north on 51 to Dyersburg, then across the river and see if we could find old 61 back down to Left Memphis.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

When you enter MO from Dyersburg you will hit Hayti at I-55 about 5 miles after crossing the bridge. Drive into Hayti on MO 84 to the 84/61 junction. Turn south and as I recall you'll be able to cruise 61 all the way into AR, crossing under the concrete arch over 61 at the border. At some point, old 61 into Memphis becomes current highway 77 - but you already know this. Right? It's a fun cruise and Kip can provide details upon request.....Bliss

When you enter MO from Dyersburg you will hit Hayti at I-55 about 5 miles after crossing the bridge. Drive into Hayti on MO 84 to the 84/61 junction. Turn south and as I recall you'll be able to cruise 61 all the way into AR, crossing under the concrete arch over 61 at the border. At some point, old 61 into Memphis becomes current highway 77 - but you already know this. Right? It's a fun cruise and Kip can provide details upon request.....Bliss

Right - on AR 77, which is the old U S 61 route. That actually runs between U S 70 in downtown West Memphis to Turrell. Joins the current 61, which is co-signed with I-55, at exit 23. U S 63 also joins at that point. 61 and 63 are co-signed with I-55 all the way into Memphis. U S 64 also gets stirred into the pot somewhere in there. 77 terminates at U S 70 in downtown Left Memphis. Sure would have been easier if they'd just left the original route numbers as was.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I'm just starting to think of a west coast trip from Seattle, where one son lives, to San Francisco, home of the other one. It would be a fly & drive probably at the end of April for a grandson's birthday. I've looked into it just enough to determine that the car companies don't seem to mind a one way rental between those cities. If that happens, I'd hope to hook up with KtSotR for at least a free beer.

Denny,

Late April should be a great time for a road trip between Seattle and San Francisco. I’ll buy you a beer, or even lunch, when you are in this area. The only glitch is that we are headed to Hawaii on April 25 for a reunion with long time friends, so I hope your "late April" is before then!

Since your sons live in the west, I assume you know the area. But if you have any questions, I have driven every road you could even conceivably take, most within the last five years. And even if you must choose the freeway route, I can identify some interesting side trips.

...we are headed to Hawaii on April 25 for a reunion with long time friends, so I hope your "late April" is before then!
The kid's birthday is the 29th so that's as far as I got in defining "late April". Of course, you could always take me with you to Hawaii and I could visit the kid later. :rolleyes:

As for knowing the area, the only time I've visited both sons on the same trip, I flew betwixt them. If this trip comes together (on April 29 or any other date) I'll definitely be looking for some advise. I would certainly intend to stay along the coast as much as possible.

I count 30 counties that you've completed, Jennifer. You've mapped out quite a task for yourself. Especially since you might have to uncover objects in snow and ice in an Indiana winter for the next three months..yikes!!! Well, maybe the Midwest will have a mild winter, huh..that'll work to your advantage. Do the northern counties not thaw out until April?

You wouldn't considering giving yourself until say September or October, 2008? I can't guess how determined you are, but wouldn't that be more realistic for 62 counties? But then, at least you live centrally in Indianapolis and are never more than 200 or so miles at the beginner of each journey, at my estimation.

I wish you and Pat the best of luck :D !!!!

Matt Smallwood

Hi Matt,

I have completed those 30 counties in just two months. Actually, the task of finding caches in all 92 counties by the end of May 2008 is based upon the cache listing - there's a drawing for a prize if it's completed by then. As a personal accomplishment, I can it aytime I like.

It's fun going to various counties and finding caches along a route. In a nutshell, I create a route using DeLorme Street Atlas. I export the GPX file from DeLorme and upload it to geocaching.com, which finds caches along that route. There's a geocaching program called GSAK that I use to create a waypoint file that I import into DeLorme, so I'll see the caches along the route. Then, I'll export the waypoints and the route file to the Palm version of DeLorme and use the GPS to follow the route.

The day I did this, with the goal of going to certain counties, I found 11 caches in 5 counties in 5 hours. Not too bad! I think it's do-able and will be fun!

I

The more time I spend on the old Michigan Road, the more I want to drive it end to end. The Michigan Road is Indiana's first state-funded road, and it was built in the 1830s. It stretches from the Ohio River at Madison to Lake Michigan. If I understand correctly, the road came to the lake first and they built Michigan City where the road ended. I live about 1 mile from the Road in northwest Indianapolis. It used to be US 421 through town, but today is maintained by the city. Out of town it's US 421 along much of its alignment, but is also State Road 29, State Road 29, US 20, and a decommissioned stretch of US 31, at least up north; I don't know the road down south at all. I'm eager to get to know it.

jim

Mobilene,

Your Michigan Road dream trip sounds really interesting! I did a little searching and got the route off the web. It looks like fascinating country. And it doesn’t look like it is overly popularized. One citation does make it second in importance only to the National Road. And I see there is a toll house in Indianapolis under the NPS.

What year is your midwest ABB? I ask because I think I have a 1910, which might add to your planning. And I certainly have the full sized Rand McNally auto Trails map. And maybe some maps from the TIB.

I have 2 midwest ABBs, 1916 and 1924. I'm watching for one from 1908-1910 too. If I don't have one by the time I make the trip, I'll hit you up for help!

I live about two, maybe three miles from the toll house, by the way. There are also two very old -- 1800s -- houses along the route north of the toll house, too. I'm wondering how many very old houses I'll see in southern Indiana along the route. Southern Indiana was populated first, I believe because it's on the Ohio.

I could cram this trip into two days, but three or four would be more comfortable, especially if I find old alignments.

jim

I have 2 midwest ABBs, 1916 and 1924. I'm watching for one from 1908-1910 too. If I don't have one by the time I make the trip, I'll hit you up for help!

I live about two, maybe three miles from the toll house, by the way. There are also two very old -- 1800s -- houses along the route north of the toll house, too. I'm wondering how many very old houses I'll see in southern Indiana along the route. Southern Indiana was populated first, I believe because it's on the Ohio.

I could cram this trip into two days, but three or four would be more comfortable, especially if I find old alignments.

jim

Jim,

BTW, the 1910 gives wonderful detail for the route north of Indianapolis but nothing for the route south of Indianapolis. The 1913 volume covers the whole route, but without as much detail as the the 1910 volume.

Keep

Southern Indiana was populated first, I believe because it's on the Ohio.

jim

There are a lot of old alignments along I-74 as the Michigan Road leaves Indianapolis until it gets to Greenburg. It erratically alternates between disconnected frontage roads on the north and the south sides of the Interstate.

This brings up one of my biggest complaints about the recent interchange work at I-465 and I-74 on the southeast side of Indianapolis. Traffic on I-465 South (multiplexed with US-421 South) used to be told that exit 49 took them onto I-74 East and US-421 South. Since they put up the new signs, the route turn for US-421 has gone stealth and is never mentioned, like it doesn't exist. Isn't this against regulations (AASHTO or other) to have a route leave one highway and join another without any signage? After being multiplexed with the Interstate for 22 miles, who is going to remember what exit number they needed to turn onto? I hate how they have routed all of the US and state highways around Indianapolis, but they could at least tell you when to get off!!!

My guess is that it was either an oversight by the highway contractor doing the signs or a cost saving measure because the old sign that held both the I-74 and US-421 shields was much wider. I've tried to figure out who to complain to at the Indiana DOT but haven't had any bright ideas yet.

Back to the Michigan Road... you'll note that the old alignment cuts straight south just past Napoleon, Indiana and bypasses Versailles entirely, running along the border of the Jefferson Proving Ground. I'm guessing Versailles lobbied to be put onto the highway even though it added 2.6 miles to the route.

Be sure to plan for some time to look around Madison. Also, Clifty Falls State Park is a must-see if you haven't been there.

Chris

.....and that toll house looks like this:

gallery_4_8_135361.jpg

It's very difficult getting a picture there, as it's a busy two-lane and no good place to pull over. The MR has been on my radar for a couple of years now. Thanks to a tip from Denny a couple of years ago, I found a nice segment in southern Indiana near Versailles, which runs along the Jefferson Proving Ground, and where you still can see the Indiana National Guard training in their F-16s. This is also the area where Morgan's Raid came through. There's also a really cool 1-lane stone bridge there too. I thought I had photos of it I took myself online, but I'll have to "borrow" someone else's photos of the old mile marker where the National Road and the Michigan road separate (or converge, depending on which way you're going) in downtown Indianapolis: NR/MR

Jim, is it a safe bet to say the MR traveled the same route through Indy that US 421 did? My early 1960's downtown maps indicate 421 came in from the south on Southeastern Ave, piggy-backed Washington Street, then went north on West Street/MLK/Michigan Rd out of town.

So I've been tracing the Michigan Road route from my house south on Google Maps.

Roadmaven, I don't know much at all about MR's route through Indy, and I'm not able to find much out there on the Net. If I were making the trip today, I'd just assume it followed the old 421 route as you describe it. Sounds right to me.

Chris, you're right, the road hugs I-74 for a lot of its route, at least until 74 bears east toward Cincinnati. 421 is multiplexed with 74 to that point; 421 follows the MR south of there to Napoleon. The old road diverges from 421 there and, when it passes New Marion, follows the east edge of Jefferson Proving Ground*.

* My stepson's dad was some Air Force muckety-muck at Jefferson Proving Ground as they began closing it down. My stepson tells stories of unexploded dud bombs, dropped from planes who knows when, sitting out in fields, and other plenty dangerous stuff. I believe my stepson once told me of a patch of ground full of land mines.

Just past JPG and just before Madison, MR splits from 421 again. It looks like 421's path caused a portion of MR to be torn out, and you have to make a left and a right to get back onto MR. There's a stub left; it apparently was once Indiana SR 107. Anyway, the MR goes straight into Madison from there. I can't tell for sure what it does in Madison, whether it follows West St., or goes over to Jefferson and merges back into 421, or what.

421 didn't come to Indiana until 1951, according to illi-indi.com, and so I wonder if the MR was signed as any highway in southern Indiana before that. I'm also interested to know whether the 421 split north of Madison is modern (caused by the coming of 421). I'll have to check my maps tonight. I know that in northern Indiana it was SR 29 Indy to Logansport, then SR 25 to Rochester, US 31 to South Bend, and US 20 to Michigan City.

Dave, when the time comes I will be very happy for any map/guide assistance you can provide, esp. through Madison and Shelbyville. I'm interested in what the 1910 and 1913 ABBs say, too!

Peace,

jim

Roadmaven, I don't know much at all about MR's route through Indy, and I'm not able to find much out there on the Net. If I were making the trip today, I'd just assume it followed the old 421 route as you describe it. Sounds right to me.

This excerpt from a map on the IUPUI server (Map) is actually labeled Michigan Road all the way down what is now MLK and West Street to what is 10th Street today (labeled First St.) on the map. I don't see any other evidence of it south of there until it breaks from the National Road. The only two logical options I can see are that it continued straight south on West to Washington or took West down to the intersection with Indiana and then headed southeast, but I have never seen that documented.

Check out the canal crossing between Fifth and Sixth streets on the map (14th & 15th street with today's numbering. Until recently I remember some strange remnants visible on the southeast corner of 16th & Martin Luther King.

Chris

Dave, when the time comes I will be very happy for any map/guide assistance you can provide, esp. through Madison and Shelbyville. I'm interested in what the 1910 and 1913 ABBs say, too!

Peace,

jim

Jim

I was looking at the Michigan Road through Shelbyville as shown on the IUPUI site Shelby County atlas. You will have a ball..and no problem figuring the route! I know you know the site, but some others may not. It is at:

http://indiamond6.ulib.iupui.edu/HistAtlas/

As I looked at the 1880 atlas of Shelby County I was struck by the amazing detail you have available to describe the old routes. Much of the time there was too little settlement per square mile in the west to justify recording the kind of maps you have practically at your finger tips. But I am going to look harder!

BTW, my collection will seldom, and more likely will never, have the kind of detail available at IUPUI for Indiana. But I can say the 1910 Automobile Blue Book directions (and maps) for the section of the Michigan Road (Indianapolis – South Bend) I will post on historicalroadmaps.com today are quite interesting, including mention of street lights over intersections!

I found one reference to the Michigan Road for sale on Advanced Book Exchange (ABEBOOKS.COM), which might be of interest. It was an article on "The Indians and the Michigan Road."

Keep the Show on the Road!

Opps...I see Chris posted the IUPUI site while I was typing this post. I just can't get ahead of you midwesterners!!!

Ohhhhhhh rapture. On page 88 of the 1860 Shelby Co. atlas, I found the Michigan Road in Liberty Twp. as it passes between Waldron and Middletown.

LibertyTwp1860.gif

Then I looked it up on Google Maps.

LibertyTwpToday.jpg

Except for I-74, these images are nearly identical! Waldron's grown a little, Middletown not at all it seems. Very little in the way of additional roads appear as far as I can tell, and the existing roads follow the same alignments -- except for the MR where it crosses the creek. It currently swings north of its original alignment to cross the creek, but (it's hard to see) the original alignment is still there.

In Indiana, this is about as close to untouched as it gets.

Peace,

jim

How could I forget about the IUPUI collection? I'll bet I can map the whole road out from stem to stern using the 1860s atlases there.

Jim,

Folks in Indiana are fortunate to have both the high quality vintage county atlases and an institution willing to take the time and effort (not to mention cost) to scan and share them. Big kudos to Indiana University - Purdue, Indianapolis Campus!

Keep the Show on the Road!

PS, Have you Hoosiers thanked IUPUI lately? You would be surprised how much that is appreciated. Tell them about the forum in the process and how their efforts get national attention. They need encouragement and deserve recognition.

PPS. I find the toll gates all over the place interesting! Imagine what that translated to when you tried to develop free transcontinental roads. The Lincoln Highway was touted early on as a "free road." No wonder that was a big deal!