American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Fading From Landscape

eyerobic

I heard this Podcast the other day. Truly sad how things change.

Morning Edition, November 28, 2007 · A staple of the American road trip could be slowly disappearing from the nation's interstates and byways. Owners of some roadside attractions are deciding that interest is waning in such treasures as the world's largest ball of string, Stinker the monkey or a flock of ducks escaping from a replica of the Titanic.

Roadside Attractions Fading from Landscape by Jason Beaubien

• 2 weeks later...

Eyerobic,

I’m not so sure roadside attractions are diminishing in number. Clearly there aren’t as many, nor are they the same kind as I remember as a 12 year old 55 years ago. The snake farms, and caged cougars are no more...but I’d say that there has been a resurgence in roadside attractions in the last ten years or so.

I’m willing to bet that as the baby boomers age, they will look for the unique, and some of them will (and are) discovering the bounty of the two lane road. Where before it was the snake farm, now it is the local history display, the old car museum, or the restored hotel, gas station, or cafe.

I have more often than not been outright surprised at the growth of roadside attractions, and the willingness of groups and individuals to save them. I admit it hurts when a gem disappears, and they definitely do, but the lure of the two lane road will continue to spawn new ones.

BTW, how is your documenting work coming along! It will be valuable! As you say, things do change and too often no one seems to have documented them before they do.

Keep the Show on the Road!

It's a tough season for Architectural photographs with the low angle of the sun.

I have been taking a lot of mental notes, as to where I can pull over and shoot.

Perhaps in the Spring I can dedicate an entire Saturday to the US-130 project.

Otherwise I drive parts of US-30 in NJ and PA, as well as US-40 in NJ for work.

Today I drove PA-663 from Quakertown to Pottstown, where in the past, I have

noticed two "Tea Cup" Cafe's. I believe they have both been turned into Italian

Ice stands. I suspect a third exists in Quakertown itself but will have to look a bit

closer next time by there. Sometimes renovators make it hard on us, ya know?

... Chris

BTW, how is your documenting work coming along! It will be valuable! As you say, things do change and too often no one seems to have documented them before they do.

It's a tough season for Architectural photographs with the low angle of the sun.

I have been taking a lot of mental notes, as to where I can pull over and shoot.

Perhaps in the Spring I can dedicate an entire Saturday to the US-130 project.

Otherwise I drive parts of US-30 in NJ and PA, as well as US-40 in NJ for work.

Today I drove PA-663 from Quakertown to Pottstown, where in the past, I have

noticed two "Tea Cup" Cafe's. I believe they have both been turned into Italian

Ice stands. I suspect a third exists in Quakertown itself but will have to look a bit

closer next time by there. Sometimes renovators make it hard on us, ya know?

... Chris

Yes, renovators can spoil everything...and even when they are trying their best. For example, I prefer a faded old sign on the side of a building over a restored version.