American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Beautyrest And Shady Courts - Victory Highway

A couple of motel sign in the Winnemucca area along the Victory Highway (US40) brought back recollections of the 50’s.

It was common back when for a motel to be located off the main drag and for there to be a sign, usually quite prominent, that directed you to the site. The Shady Courts...the term “courts” was still common...... is definitely off the main traveled route in Winnemucca. Any direction you approach on the main road through town, the signs direct you to the “Courts.” BTW, the place is for sale.

ARShady.jpg

The other sign is in Valmy on old US40 and the Victory Highway, about 36 miles east of Winnemucca. Beautyrest mattresses were the equivalent of today’s wifi; you had to have them to attract the business.

ARBeautyrest.jpg

Keep the Show on the Road

A couple of motel sign in the Winnemucca area along the Victory Highway (US40) brought back recollections of the 50’s.

It was common back when for a motel to be located off the main drag and for there to be a sign, usually quite prominent, that directed you to the site. The Shady Courts...the term “courts” was still common...... is definitely off the main traveled route in Winnemucca. Any direction you approach on the main road through town, the signs direct you to the “Courts.” BTW, the place is for sale.

ARShady.jpg

The other sign is in Valmy on old US40 and the Victory Highway, about 36 miles east of Winnemucca. Beautyrest mattresses were the equivalent of today’s wifi; you had to have them to attract the business.

ARBeautyrest.jpg

Keep the Show on the Road

You've got me pulling out the maps to find out where Valmy is. How did I miss that one? I'll catch it next time I pass througha and it will be even more weathered.

Roadhound

You've got me pulling out the maps to find out where Valmy is. How did I miss that one? I'll catch it next time I pass througha and it will be even more weathered.

Roadhound

It is all in the keenly honed senses of the old roadie, years of study, analysis and synthesis, a comprehensive knowledge of old road artifacts.......and the fact I needed gas at the only station in 25 miles and almost hit the posts pulling out. B)

Keep the Show on the Road!