American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Geocache On The Old Victory Highway

OK you geocacheing pros (Jennifer...), what now? I was on an abandoned section of what I believe was the old Victory Highway over Golconda Summit, about 25 miles east of Winnemucca, Nevada this afternoon. I noticed a half deteriorated road post on the ground, and decided to begin geocacheing. I took a dollar bill and tore it in half, then I placed one half of it under the fallen post. I put it in a little plastic sandwich bag to increase its survivability. I took out my handy GPS and marked the coordinates.

ARPost.jpg ARBill.jpg

What do I do now? Regret I have a mutilated dollar bill? Or can I invite someone to find the half bill and match it to the one here? How does this work? I’ll give the one who can match the bill $20....or is that reward business discouraged among devotees? In which case I will simply post the winner here.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Hmmmm.....the "organized" activity of geocaching (as followed on geocaching.com) is different than what you have done, so I'm not quite sure how you'd proceed with that, actually. Any others' suggestions as to what you can do with your challenge would be interesting to read. I know if it were within the context of a geocache (as below), people would jump all over it to be first to find (FTF). Especially with a $20 bill as an incentive. Typically, there is some small reward for being a FTF.

However...I only know how to use geocaching.com, which is pretty straightforward:

1) Create a user name and password on geocaching.com

2) Search for caches - by coordinates, zip code, address, whatever...

3) Look at caches where you are or are going to be and print out the cache pages, or just write down the coordinates, size of container and any other relevant info

4) Head out and use the coordinates (and maybe hints) to find the cache, which is typically a container: a pill bottle, tupperware, 35mm film canister, peanut butter jar, fake rock, the types of containers are endless...but for a "traditional" cache, it is usually an actually container, of varying size. All must at least have a log inside them so that cachers can sign it, and log the "find." Otherwise, with larger caches, they might contain "swag" which just consists of little trinkets and toys for trade. The rule with trading is if you take something, leave something equal or better.

5) When you get home, log back to the website and log your finds, "did not finds" (DNF's) or post notes about the condition of a cache, etc.

To place a cache, you must be relatively close to the cache (so that you can maintain it, replace logs when they are full, etc.). There are various rules for placing a cache posted at the site.

OK, I have read the geocaching.com rules. Since I didn’t leave a log, and have no plans to ever return to the site to maintain it, it will not meet the requirements of geocaching.com.

The geocaching.com folks are specific that the site needs to be maintained by the geocacher, and that placing caches on vacation or on a trip is not a way to qualify for listing on their site.

So there is one half a dollar bill hidden at coordinates 40.93092, -117.41182 under a fallen road post on the old alignment of the road over Golconda Summit. You do not need a shovel or anything more than the ability to turn over a partially rotted old road post, lying all by itself in clear view. Enjoy the fact that the old post was on the Victory Highway and the later alignment of the Lincoln Highway Opps! :o. The post is seriously decomposed, so leave it where it is...it won’t look good in a den or game room.

The site is easily approachable in a family sedan via Golconda (exit 194), and the short walk to the site should be no challenge for most. You do not have to disturb a single stone to find the bill.

Even if you don’t find the bill, you should enjoy seeing first hand how road builders changed their methods as their equipment became more capable. It is really evident on this site! And BTW, I’ll send $20 to the first person who finds the bill and posts the matching serial number on the forum, along with your experience at the site. I’ll even send them the other half of the bill!

Finally, if you never plan to be anywhere near Winnemucca, fly there using the coordinates above and Google Earth. The three roads are quite evident...huge cut, modest cut, no cut....

Keep the Show on the Road!