American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

High Desert Byway

ARFrenchGlen.jpg

This is the French Glen Hotel along the High Desert Discovery Byway in eastern Oregon, 58 miles south of Burns. It was built around 1916 as part of the Pete French cattle empire. The whole town of French Glen...the hotel, and general store, was closed for the winter.

I drove along the Byway yesterday afternoon. You talk about your “big country.” Beautiful desert views with the service stations 100 miles apart and ranches maybe 10 miles apart! The west is big, and it can be mighty lonely.

I cranked up the ‘ole mp3 through the stereo and set the cruise ...and watched the movie unfold before me. I passed a herd of antelope but they were gone before I could grab the camera. The general store at Fields was open, so I pulled in and bought a bottle of orange juice...really!.

I am in Winnemucca this morning and planning the day. Maybe the Victory, maybe the Lincoln...ah the riches when you stay on the two lane roads!

Mobilene, Following your pioneering lead, I got several movies, but they will have to wait until I get home.

Lots more to come, but I thought I would check in when I could.

Look forward to living vicariously in your trip via the films... but take the advice you gave me and run them through an editor! :-)

Ya got it!! :) Anything over 20 sec per clip is too long.

I spotted a tri alignment today on the Victory and took a few shots. By "Tri "I mean freeway, 1930's - 40's and 1920's...Golconda Pass east of Winnemucca. I assume the dates on the two older roads, but they represent a near perfect example of the changes in road construction. I'll post some phpotos this evening.

Keep the Show on the Road!