American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Waiting In Winnemucca, Nevada. Advice Needed!

I have been traveling today along the backroads of eastern Oregon (Burns, Frenchglen, Fields, Denio) where the gas and food stops are 100 miles apart.. I arrived in Winnemucca, Nevada this evening.

That puts me on the Victory & US40 and I am looking for advice. I may head as far east as Elko or Wells, then head back toward home (Olympia, WA) via Reno or Lakeview, and Bend, OR. Any thoughts as to sights and sites?

Looks like lots has been going on here! I will catch up ASAP! I should have some posts on the Historic Columbia River Highway and on the High Desert Scenic Byway, plus maybe a bit of the Old Oregon Trail Highway.

I am headed out for a bite to eat, and will check the forum when I return.

Keep the Show on the Road!

I suggest you look for tupperware using multibillion dollar government satellites!! LOL

N 40° 57.070 W 117° 45.475 - there should be a decent sized container here in Winnemucca

or here

N 44° 04.069 W 121° 18.812 this is an ammo can in Bend.

Of course, there's a billion others too...you just have to search www.geocaching.com

I had a fun time yesterday, even though it was cold and raining - I found 11! I have found more in a day, but for 5 hours, that wasn't bad. :D

I suggest you look for tupperware using multibillion dollar government satellites!! LOL

N 40° 57.070 W 117° 45.475 - there should be a decent sized container here in Winnemucca

or here

N 44° 04.069 W 121° 18.812 this is an ammo can in Bend.

Of course, there's a billion others too...you just have to search www.geocaching.com

I had a fun time yesterday, even though it was cold and raining - I found 11! I have found more in a day, but for 5 hours, that wasn't bad. :D

Jennifer, Roadhound, Mobilene, DennyG, et al

Thanks for the tips and the good advice! I'm leaving Winnemucca, off for the eastern Oregon wilds before the snow comes, then home by Thursday evening.

Our dialog has prompted an idea for an American Road geocaching modification, kind of a treasure hunt along the old roads.. We could cache little AR treasures in our travels and report our finds here as well. Not officicial geocaching...but maybe fun for forum members. Lets dialog as we get time and come up with somthing that would be fun!

Keep the Show on the Road