American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

On The Way To Nashville

DennyG

A few days ago I decided that Nashville would once again be my Thanksgiving destination and I went to bed Wednesday planning on pretty much superslabbing my way there in the morning. But, when the morning came, I did a little web browsing and ended up taking a detour through western Kentucky. I ended up in Hopkinsville and learned that Ryan's Buffet (the other choice was Shoney's) serves turkey on Thanksgiving. What a surprise.

I'll get to Nashville on Friday but what I've done so far is at

http://www.dennygibson.com/tg2007/index.htm

A few days ago I decided that Nashville would once again be my Thanksgiving destination and I went to bed Wednesday planning on pretty much superslabbing my way there in the morning. But, when the morning came, I did a little web browsing and ended up taking a detour through western Kentucky. I ended up in Hopkinsville and learned that Ryan's Buffet (the other choice was Shoney's) serves turkey on Thanksgiving. What a surprise.

Looking forward to see the rest of the trip. Looks like you're having a great time! Be safe on the American Road!

Becky

Sounds like a great trip, thus far, Denny...thanks for posting. I noticed of course, that you did a little geocaching and moved a travel bug with a mission! Pretty cool....my TB is still waiting for someone to move it north to Chicago.

What is the deal with Muhlenberg County? What does that mean that the air smells like snakes? Ewwwwww...not much of a tourism bureau tagline! LOL Makes me not want to go there...I hate snakes!!

Looking forward to the remainder of the trip!

...moved a travel bug with a mission!
I actually moved two but I haven't logged the second one (OH->TN) yet. I already had a destination in mind when I picked it up or I wouldn't have done it. I couldn't even find the cache at that location but fortunately had a backup and all is well. I think that will be all the TB toting I do for awhile. I'm not very good at it.

What is the deal with Muhlenberg County?
The phrase is from a John Prine song which, even though I know the name is Paradise, I still call "Muhlenberg County". The lyrics are here. Prine fans may have noticed another reference when I trumpeted the posting of the recent Indiana trip's first day. "Hot dog bun. My sister's a nun." is from his Illegal Smile.

As always, Denny puts us in the car with him on his road trips!!! Even a bit of humor on this one (propellor driven car eliminates jay walkers) and (riding downhill in a grocery cart).

I'd heard of the Lane Musuem, and in fact a PBS program here in Memphis, Tennessee Crossroads, featured it on one of their recent programs. Curiously this is the 3rd reference I've seen about the place in as many weeks (a friend of mine in Beaumont emailed me about it about 3 weeks back.)

Keep on traveling Denny - and keep on writting.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I actually moved two but I haven't logged the second one (OH->TN) yet. I already had a destination in mind when I picked it up or I wouldn't have done it. I couldn't even find the cache at that location but fortunately had a backup and all is well. I think that will be all the TB toting I do for awhile. I'm not very good at it.

The phrase is from a John Prine song which, even though I know the name is Paradise, I still call "Muhlenberg County". The lyrics are here. Prine fans may have noticed another reference when I trumpeted the posting of the recent Indiana trip's first day. "Hot dog bun. My sister's a nun." is from his Illegal Smile.

I just hate it when that bowl of oatmeal "stares me down."

Denny,

I haven't had a chance to savor the newest trip of yours as I have been disconnected for a few days because I left my wifi card at home. I will enjoy it this evening as i bought a new one.

I am in Winnemucca, NV this eveniing and seeking any ideas. I may head along the Victory/ Lincoln/ PPOO toward Elko or hang around here for a day. I will probably go back to Washington via Reno, NV or Lakeview, Oregon. If anyone has some advice, toss it in. I'll check back after I get a bite to eat!

I am pretty sure Winnemucca and Nashville don't have much in common!

Keep the Show on the Road!

I'm home and I actually have all the e-paper work done including posting some geocaches. All four days (really 3.25) are posted and I even got the locator map done.

Jennifer:

I found four caches and dropped off two travel bugs. Whew, that's a lot of work. One of the caches was at the Wigwam Village in Cave City. You probably have a picture of it. :D

Alex:

Sounds like mysterious forces are at work to get you to the Lane Museum. :lol: It is an interesting place and a little different than most car collections.

KtSotR:

I just did a search on Winnemucca to check out your theory that it has little in common with Nashville and figured I could prove you wrong by finding numerous similarities. But the first site listed has a menu selection for "Brothel Information" - something I couldn't find on any of the Nashville related websites. I guess you're right. B)

I'm home and I actually have all the e-paper work done including posting some geocaches. All four days (really 3.25) are posted and I even got the locator map done.

Jennifer:

I found four caches and dropped off two travel bugs. Whew, that's a lot of work. One of the caches was at the Wigwam Village in Cave City. You probably have a picture of it. :D

Alex:

Sounds like mysterious forces are at work to get you to the Lane Museum. :lol: It is an interesting place and a little different than most car collections.

KtSotR:

I just did a search on Winnemucca to check out your theory that it has little in common with Nashville and figured I could prove you wrong by finding numerous similarities. But the first site listed has a menu selection for "Brothel Information" - something I couldn't find on any of the Nashville related websites. I guess you're right. B)

Denny,

You are right, the oldest profession is legal in Nevada. Out on the high desert where no one would normally be staying, I noticed a hotel with a no vacancy sign, and lots of new trucks parked out front...hummmmmmm!

Denny,

You are right, the oldest profession is legal in Nevada. Out on the high desert where no one would normally be staying, I noticed a hotel with a no vacancy sign, and lots of new trucks parked out front...hummmmmmm!

Denny,

Another great road trip! You have a talent for “seeing” in a way most don’t. Great work!! The performer shots were excellent. BTW, I bet I could find some hot pants in Winnemucca.....so there is something in common!

Draw bridges with huge counterweights are also seen along the Sacramento River in California. It is a little unnerving to drive under one and wonder how quickly it might drop.

Jennifer:

Good job on the caches and moving the TB's. Now I'll have to see what the cache is at the Wigwam sometime!!

I won't tell you I found 11 yesterday in 5 hours. LOL But I was making a specific caching run in a short time and a relatively short distance. I know a road trip isn't the same, and you won't try to find alot or it would take forever! Of course, being on a long trip can be a good thing!!

I could have done more caches yesterday if I planned the route to caches that were closer to each other, but I was actually trying to get caches in more Indiana counties. There is a "virtual" cache or maybe it's a puzzle or something...in Indiana where you can get a prize if you find caches in all 92 counties by a certain time. Not sure if I'll achieve that, but it's fun trying!

I also need to take a look at the waymarking website, run by the same people and you log in using the same password. That seems to be about visiting sites, places of interest, etc., not finding a physical cache. I thought that might be a cool place to find places to stop on road trips.

• 1 month later...

I have a question for DennyG (or anyone else who might know ...)

We also drove U.S. 41 from Hopkinsville in November, except we took the old 41 that runs on the north side of I-24.

Not once, but twice did we see pink elephants along the way -- once just outside Hopkinsville and again at the junction of 41 and U.S. 79 near Guthrie, Ky., just above the Tennessee state line.

So what's up with the pink elephants in this neck of the woods? Anybody know?

So what's up with the pink elephants in this neck of the woods?
I sure don't know why they're there but I'm glad you're seeing them, too. We may have to vouch for each other someday. :D

Back in 2005, I reported an elephant in Clarksville that appears to be different (ears flat, head lower) that the one I spotted over Thanksgiving. Either I misreported the location, one of the two you saw has been roaming around, or there's at least four of the critters in the area.