American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

1926 Us 99 Guide To The Pacific Highway & El Camino Real

The 1926 Mohawk Hobbs Guide to the Pacific Highway in California, Oregon, and Washington has been posted at HistoricalRoadMaps.Com, as per Roadhound’s request. It displays the inland route via Vancouver BC, Seattle, Portland, Eugene, Grants Pass, Ashland, Yreka, Dunsmuir, Red Bluff, Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, the Grapevine, and into Los Angeles (Now US99 or I-5, if you must), the El Camino Real (US101) via San Francisco, San Jose, King City, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, into LA, and a nice bonus of the road between Oakland and Salinas via Santa Cruz.

I know these roads about as well as some know the Dixie or the National Road and always find the Hobbs Guides interesting because they identify what are now roadside artifacts. As an example, I used to drive (1956-66) over the road between San Jose and Santa Cruz, and often passed through or stopped at Holy City. The Hobbs Guide describes it as “an odd but liberal religious community of forty people that serves the tourist well” a fit description in my view.

I have posted a couple of reduced size samples below for Roadhound and Kevin…who BTW we have not heard from since the big fires…hope he’s OK!

Just a reminder that the maps on the Historical Road Maps and Guides site are larger scale then these samples.

If you want other maps posted, let me know. I am continuing to post the state maps, and have added some others as time permits.

Keep the Show on the Road!!

Kevin2.jpg

Kevin1.jpg

Jim.jpg

Mobilene...I just noted that my latest postings at HistoricalRoadMaps.com are producing very short height zoomifier images in the Mozilla browser. I have had to modify the code to get the wider window, and apparently I goofed in Mozilla’s world. I’ll work on that. HTML is “tweek and try” for me, so if you spot the problem in the source code, let me know.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Could it be your SetSize line?

In one of the squeezed ones, it is:

SetSize(1260, 2800, 80);

In two of the "good" ones, it is:

SetSize(1516, 3243, 80);

SetSize(1539, 1775, 80);

I've not worked with Zoomify before, but this SetSize line is the only thing with any major differences (other than text to display on the page) among the three pages I looked at.

jim

Outstanding once again Keep!

In the 60's my family lived just off of Mission Blvd in Hayward which had to have been the route that is described between Hayward and Niles. The road is still there but it has changed greatly since that map was published. I can remember when there were still some of the orchards that both of those towns were noted for were still there.

There was an apricot orchard just down the street from my parents house that me and my friends would go into and climb the trees and eat the fruit. It didn't matter that the apricots weren't completely ripe yet, although we did pay the price later. The orchard is now a K Mart. I don't believe a single orchard is left in Hayward or Niles.

I am going to have to spend some time studying those maps when I get back from Death Valley. Just finished packing and gassing up the truck. All set for an early Saturday morning departure.

Roadhound

Could it be your SetSize line?

In one of the squeezed ones, it is:

SetSize(1260, 2800, 80);

In two of the "good" ones, it is:

SetSize(1516, 3243, 80);

SetSize(1539, 1775, 80);

I've not worked with Zoomify before, but this SetSize line is the only thing with any major differences (other than text to display on the page) among the three pages I looked at.

jim

Mobilene,

Thanks! I am “repairing” the html and it now works using Netscape and Firefox, as well as IE.

Hope all is going well. I note we lost some posts…those between the switchover and today. I guess I’m not the only one with a few “bugs!”

Outstanding once again Keep!

In the 60's my family lived just off of Mission Blvd in Hayward which had to have been the route that is described between Hayward and Niles. The road is still there but it has changed greatly since that map was published. I can remember when there were still some of the orchards that both of those towns were noted for were still there.

There was an apricot orchard just down the street from my parents house that me and my friends would go into and climb the trees and eat the fruit. It didn't matter that the apricots weren't completely ripe yet, although we did pay the price later. The orchard is now a K Mart. I don't believe a single orchard is left in Hayward or Niles.

I am going to have to spend some time studying those maps when I get back from Death Valley. Just finished packing and gassing up the truck. All set for an early Saturday morning departure.

Roadhound

Roadhound,

I have the same sort of story, except it was cherries, and the freeway to Santa Cruz that took out the trees. The cherries were ripe and delicious..but had the same effect as green apricots

I was wondering when you head out to Death Valley. Lucky you! Takes lots of photos.

I'm hoping for an Old Oregon Trail Highway outing to Idaho with my son after Thanksgiving...but no camping for this old frame!

Have a great trip!