American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Old sprinkler heads, water nozzles and water guns

Wanted: Old sprinkler heads, water nozzles and water guns

We recently posted a little piece about Simpson'S Garden Town Nursery, Jamul California, on the web site: http://www.drivetheost.com/featuredattraction.html

Part of their sprawling nursery includes the wonderfully offbeat "Old Sprinkler Retirement Home" (read below)

We've encouraged everyone we know to mail them an unwanted sprinkler device.

So root around your garage or garden shed and send that old fellow to a retirement in sunny California.

Be sure to include a concise provenance and special instructions regarding diet, light, etc.

JWM

"Old Sprinkler Retirement Home"

"Don't send them to the landfill, they can join their old friends here for display, conversation, and reminiscing," invites a sign.

The retirement home is populated with over 30 nozzles, moveable sprinkler heads and water guns. It reportedly began when someone left a shopping bag of old sprinklers -- like so many unwanted kittens -- at the nursery.

Sprinkler provenance is rare and limited to only one tag written in thick laundry pen: "To Cathy from the Coles. Bought by her father in the 1950s. R."

Consider treating that old nozzle of yours with a little more respect.

Mail him or her to: Simpson'S Garden Town Nursery, Inc. 13925 Hwy. 94, Jamul, CA 92020.

A roadie e-mailed us last night and asked: "are you joking?" The answer is no. This place really wants your unwanted sprinklers and nozzles. JWM

Do they only want working nozzles? I have one I don't need, because it's broken (well, not really broken but not working properly). I wouldn't want to send them a broken one if they don't want it.

Also, do they want special, old-fashioned nozzles? I don't imagine most people have "vintage" hose nozzles, so all I have is a malfunctioning 2-3 year old nozzle purchased at Meijer for a couple of bucks. It's a pretty standard, garden-variety nozzle (pun intended!). :D

Do they only want working nozzles? I have one I don't need, because it's broken (well, not really broken but not working properly). I wouldn't want to send them a broken one if they don't want it.

Also, do they want special, old-fashioned nozzles? I don't imagine most people have "vintage" hose nozzles, so all I have is a malfunctioning 2-3 year old nozzle purchased at Meijer for a couple of bucks. It's a pretty standard, garden-variety nozzle (pun intended!). :D

The folks we saw in the sprinkler retirement home looked serious vintage -- those dusky, brass nozzles with lots of concentric rings and those gray pot metal numbers with big bug eyes.

But being in California, they are surely aware of age discrimination.

So go ahead and send them the malfunctioning nozzle.

They will probably appreciate if you can identify the exact Meijer location and the approximate date of purchase.

It will all help in arranging the best loving care, peace of mind and good quality of life for the retiree.

JWM

• 2 weeks later...