American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Maps Of The National Road In Ohio

cbustapeck

I clearly spend too much time staring at the computer screen. I was checking out the Ohio Historical Society's material on the Road when I came across this directory. The PDFs with the three letter filenames are sections of maps of counties - unfortunately there's only one map present for each county, when there should be about five. These maps detail every single historic feature on the road, including every item listed in the Intrinsic Quality Inventory (PDF).

The question now is what do I have to do to get the rest of the maps?

This is the website that some of the files are linked to from.

I clearly spend too much time staring at the computer screen. I was checking out the Ohio Historical Society's material on the Road when I came across this directory. The PDFs with the three letter filenames are sections of maps of counties - unfortunately there's only one map present for each county, when there should be about five. These maps detail every single historic feature on the road, including every item listed in the Intrinsic Quality Inventory (PDF).

The question now is what do I have to do to get the rest of the maps?

This is the website that some of the files are linked to from.

Christopher,

If looking at the Inventory at your link doesn't amaze and rouse the interest of any roadie, they are dead. The inventory tells the story of a rich variety of roadside sites and sights...far more than I would have imagined. Just glancing at a couple of pages of the descriptions, I spotted half a dozen old diners and gas stations from the 20's and before, not to mention earlier structures, old bridges, etc. Oh, and milestones, also ;)

I am adding this link which can probably be accessed from one of the links you provided, but which I found interesting as well.

Link

BTW, when you find this kind of treasure, you can't say you are spending too much time at the computer!

Keep the Show on the Road

I just posted a query to OHS asking about the availability of the maps. I'm a member and included that information. I'll share any response here.

Thank you. I sent them an email last night about the maps as well. Perhaps the group effort will help - surely your effort as a member and Ohio taxpayer will cary a bit more weight.

If I haven't mentioned it elsewhere already, I should add that the Ohio Historical Society has published a wonderful guide to driving the National Road in Ohio, A Traveler’s Guide to the Historic National Road in Ohio: The Road That Helped Build America. It's available free for the asking.

If I haven't mentioned it elsewhere already, I should add that the Ohio Historical Society has published a wonderful guide to driving the National Road in Ohio, A Traveler’s Guide to the Historic National Road in Ohio: The Road That Helped Build America. It's available free for the asking.
I'm pretty sure "someone" has mentioned it :D but it's good to see out-of-state folks take notice. I think it's one of the better guide books around. It makes it easy for the casual tourist to get a taste of the road and maybe visit a site or two and it's also got enough history and such to keep us roadies interested.

Guernsey County offers something with a little less polish and a little more detail for their stretch of the National Road. They have a signed driving tour and a printed guide to go with it. It's available at several of the tour sites or you can download it here. The map even shows several Zane's Trace sections although these aren't signed or part of the tour.

I just posted a query to OHS asking about the availability of the maps. I'm a member and included that information. I'll share any response here.

From Glen Harper's response:

The maps you refer to are available in our office in a smaller format as part of the three volume National Road/U.S 40 Historic Properties Inventory in Ohio. The original full-size maps are also here. Either are available for public use and could also be copied. We didn't include the full set of maps on line because it would have made the file too large.

The office referred to is:

Ohio Historic Preservation Office, Ohio Historical Society

567 E. Hudson St.

Columbus, OH 43211-1030

614-298-2000

From Glen Harper's response:

The office referred to is:

Ohio Historic Preservation Office, Ohio Historical Society

567 E. Hudson St.

Columbus, OH 43211-1030

614-298-2000

That's great! Is there anyone in the Columbus area that we can con into scanning / photocopying the maps? I can put them up on my Flickr account if need be, or, if they have a disk with them already on them, even if they're PDFs, I can work on converting them...