American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Thanks For The Great Posts On This Forum!

You guys are driving me nuts..and some might say it is a short drive! Just as I settle down to put up more maps or dig deeper into the old 8mm film archives, we get another roadie who has great stuff to share, and I get distracted. And I still have two road trips to post before they become historical!

Mobilene, where are you headed before the snow flies? Our Fall was filled with rain and clouds so I need some sunlit leaves along an old alignment. Get with it!! Bring home the bacon.

Oh, and Denny, thanks for your great stuff in that direction as well. I love it and feel privileged to be on your “list.” I am forever astounded at your road knowledge.

Jennifer, I especially appreciated your comments because I frequently worry that some of us are too obsessed with the joys of traveling, documenting, describing, and discovering the old roads. I for one, don’t want to bore visitors.....want to see my old 8mm movies?....so it is good to know you are OK with our “obsessions.”

I like Christopher’s way of handling photos. I have had a niggling feeling that the big photos I have tended to use in my posts were less than optimum in the eyes of the chief moderators...not that you ever complained. But you did “guide” me to the gallery and to flickr on occasion. With Christopher’s approach it appears I can use a flickr account to store different size photos, show what I called super-thumbnails in the post, and easily link to a larger image...without exhausting my forum storage quota. (You recall that discussion!). I will try that.

Now I have to go to the archives (actually the boxes and stacks) and look for the National Road bit I read in one of those early American Motorists.

I sent Roadhound a published piece describing a 1908 road trip from Ogden to Ely, much of which was along the PPOO.... before it was the PPOO If anyone wants to read it, rattle my chain and I will post it....and with his permission, Roadhound’s first hand observations from his trip along much of the same route.

Finally, I am reminded as I enjoy this forum that it exists because American Road Magazine made it so. I am also reminded that Christmas is approaching...and I am getting my shopping done early this year..by sending friends and family American Road subscriptions.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Mobilene, where are you headed before the snow flies? Our Fall was filled with rain and clouds so I need some sunlit leaves along an old alignment. Get with it!! Bring home the bacon.

Not to take away from Mobilene and his photographs, but since you asked for it, and because I can't seem to resist a request for photographs, here are a few sunlit leaves on an old alignment (and one of my personal favorite photographs), on the Peacock Road, an old National Road alignment in eastern Ohio.

1441058093_bcfd0a6ea1_m.jpg

I like Christopher’s way of handling photos. I have had a niggling feeling that the big photos I have tended to use in my posts were less than optimum in the eyes of the chief moderators...not that you ever complained. But you did “guide” me to the gallery and to flickr on occasion. With Christopher’s approach it appears I can use a flickr account to store different size photos, show what I called super-thumbnails in the post, and easily link to a larger image...without exhausting my forum storage quota. (You recall that discussion!). I will try that.

I only did what I did because I didn't want to have *another* group of admins annoyed at me for posting too many photographs too big. Personally, I'd perfer something around 250 pixels wide, but there isn't any easy way to do that with Flickr...

Finally, I am reminded as I enjoy this forum that it exists because American Road Magazine made it so. I am also reminded that Christmas is approaching...and I am getting my shopping done early this year..by sending friends and family American Road subscriptions.

My father (who first told me about the magazine, by the way) informs me that I should be getting a subscription soon. Yay for the early gift-giving!

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'm taking the Fall Foliage Tour with Pat, Jennifer, Denny, et al on Saturday.

Then on Nov. 10, an old friend and I are going to go over the brick portions of the National Road in IL with a fine-toothed comb. We figure a lot of leaves should be down by then, helping us see stuff otherwise hidden by them. My friend showed me a brick segment of the road a couple months ago that I didn't find on my last trip -- on the other side of US 40 from where I thought the Road went through there.

jim

Not to take away from Mobilene and his photographs, but since you asked for it, and because I can't seem to resist a request for photographs, here are a few sunlit leaves on an old alignment (and one of my personal favorite photographs), on the Peacock Road, an old National Road alignment in eastern Ohio.

1441058093_bcfd0a6ea1_m.jpg

Christopher...Thanks, I needed that!!! :D

And when I got to the big size on Flickr...it is a brick road! Oh the joy...and a good reason for big images somewhere easy to reach without drawing you too far from the forum

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'm taking the Fall Foliage Tour with Pat, Jennifer, Denny, et al on Saturday.

Then on Nov. 10, an old friend and I are going to go over the brick portions of the National Road in IL with a fine-toothed comb. We figure a lot of leaves should be down by then, helping us see stuff otherwise hidden by them. My friend showed me a brick segment of the road a couple months ago that I didn't find on my last trip -- on the other side of US 40 from where I thought the Road went through there.

jim

I thought you had begged out of that trip...Glad you guys will be out there enjoying the foliage. Take a video too.

BTW, in response to your long download time for video, I have been messing with using Flash (flv) video for the 8mm stuff as it compresses to about a third of the windows media size with equivalent quality and should download faster and progressively. I have to provide the player on the server side, but I'm up to it!!

Or you could be hardcore like me and have a client-side player. My TV-clip hobby depends on that, since YouTube has become a major supplier of clips.

I don't even try to keep up with this stuff, but I have to hand it to Adobe for making it tough to figure out how to serve up their own format (flv) without spending a small fortune for their software. You won't be surprised to learn that not everyone has a stand alone ftv player on their home computer.

I should have been smart enought to ask you where to find the answer, but I finlally found a product (Wimpy) for about $30 that will allow me to serve up flash video without the user having to have your client side player.

Bodie, California, a neat old ghost town, in 1963 is next, as soon as you guys stop posting and commenting on new trips, so I can get back to preparing the post.

I thought you had begged out of that trip...Glad you guys will be out there enjoying the foliage. Take a video too.

Well, I must say a little part of me thought you just might take the big bird and come out this weekend for our little jaunt. But "keep" your schedule open for late April '08. I think the winds are blowing in the direction of a National Road/US 40 weekend cruise from St. Louis to Indy (or vice versa). So consider this your 6 month notice! ;)

Or you could be hardcore like me and have a client-side player. My TV-clip hobby depends on that, since YouTube has become a major supplier of clips.

What is a client-side player and what do you do with it for You Tube clips?

What is a client-side player and what do you do with it for You Tube clips?

Jennifer,

I am going to try to beat Mobilene to answer the question, because I had to figure this stuff out in the past 3 days and I am so proud of myself...I want to show off.

A server side player will allow the viewer to see a video without any special software on the home computer. It resides on the server where the web site is hosted.

A client side player resides on the home computer, and will play specific files on the home computer when used.

You Tube uses Adobe Flash video (flv). It is a nice format because it maintains good quality at high compression (small file size), and can be delivered in a stream, progressively, or as a download. It can also be used where the server tests the users’ (clients) bandwidth and adjusts delivery speed to fit it. You Tube uses a server side player, but you can download and save its flv files. Problem is, you have no way to play them then...unless you have a client side player. Mobilene apparently downloads and saves video from You Tube, and thus needs a client side player to view them off line.

How close did I come, Mobilene?

A fine explanation, Keep!

I will point out that YouTube doesn't actually seem to want people to download their videos. But there are a couple services on the Internet that can do it for you anyway. I use www.keepvid.com.

There are a few client-side FLV players available. I have used, and liked, this one: http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/.

jim

A fine explanation, Keep!

I will point out that YouTube doesn't actually seem to want people to download their videos. But there are a couple services on the Internet that can do it for you anyway. I use www.keepvid.com.

There are a few client-side FLV players available. I have used, and liked, this one: http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/.

jim

Thanks - that's exactly what we were trying to do! I'll give it a try tonight at home! :)